TopBilled

Men sharing a bed in classic films

37 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, jaragon said:

This is terrible beyond redemption

Notice the tagline in the poster says it's "a sad gay story."

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Swithin said:

Not quite in the same bed, but Onslow Stevens and Paul Lukas get pretty close in The Secret of the Blue Room.

11-stevens-lukas.jpg

The production code censors insisting on separate beds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/10/2018 at 8:14 AM, DougieB said:

I know you're looking for instances of straight-identified men sharing a bed, but I thought it might be interesting to consider two straight-identified actors playing gay: Rex Harrison and Richard Burton in Staircase (1969). The bed scene was actually used in the advertising.

staircase-window%20card-20582.jpg

I would love to know the story of how this horrible film ever got produced- were Burton and Harrison hoping for an Oscar by playing homosexuals?  What was Stanley Donen thinking?  Did it even work as play?  I imagine the subject matter might have seen daring at the time but the approach is so loathsome - it even fails as camp.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I would love to know the story of how this horrible film ever got produced- were Burton and Harrison hoping for an Oscar by playing homosexuals?  What was Stanley Donen thinking?  Did it even work as play?  I imagine the subject matter might have seen daring at the time but the approach is so loathsome - it even fails as camp.

Money?  Nice paychecks for Richard, Rex and Stanley?

Out of curiosity, I read Ebert's one-star review online and he really slams it.  On Wiki it was mentioned that TCM had shown it during its gay film tribute in 2007.  Since it doesn't seem like any kind of "tribute" let's hope TCM doesn't do that again.  Showing films with stereotypes is one thing - it can be part of film education - but showing films truly this insulting is something else.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Money?  Nice paychecks for Richard, Rex and Stanley?

Out of curiosity, I read Ebert's one-star review online and he really slams it.  On Wiki it was mentioned that TCM had shown it during its gay film tribute in 2007.  Since it doesn't seem like any kind of "tribute" let's hope TCM doesn't do that again.  Showing films with stereotypes is one thing - it can be part of film education - but showing films truly this insulting is something else.

I'm glad TCM ran it- the film might be horrible but it's an interesting footnote about how gay men were portrayed in mainstream Hollywood movies- and with the talent involved this was an A production- I wonder if a different cast might have made it work better- Albert Finny and Michael Caine?  Lawrence Olivier and Danny Kaye?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaragon said:

I'm glad TCM ran it- the film might be horrible but it's an interesting footnote about how gay men were portrayed in mainstream Hollywood movies- and with the talent involved this was an A production- I wonder if a different cast might have made it work better- Albert Finny and Michael Caine?  Lawrence Olivier and Danny Kaye?

The original 1968 Broadway production starred Eli Wallach and Milo O'Shea -

51V1jFSwUXL.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rayban said:

The original 1968 Broadway production starred Eli Wallach and Milo O'Shea -

51V1jFSwUXL.jpg

Thanks for that, Rayban! I'm not familiar with the play.

I worked with those dear gentlemen several times and adored them. Two of the nicest actors in the business. And both Upper West Siders!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Thanks for that, Rayban! I'm not familiar with the play.

I worked with those dear gentlemen several times and adored them. Two of the nicest actors in the business. And both Upper West Siders!

You are one lucky dude.

The play only lasted 61 performances, I think.

I'm watching THE LADY VANISHES on Starz. There are two men sharing a bed at the 21-minute mark. One of them is only wearing a pajama top. His legs are totally exposed when he gets out of bed to open the door. It's scandalous.

• Like 1

That's Naunton Wayne as Caldicott and Basil Radford as Charters -

Lady-Vanishes-Cricket-Bed-590x444.jpg?it

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rayban said:

That's Naunton Wayne as Caldicott and Basil Radford as Charters -

Lady-Vanishes-Cricket-Bed-590x444.jpg?it

Yes, thank you! So glad you found a picture of them. Their scene together in the hotel room is priceless.

• Haha 1

They show up again a few years later, same actors, same characters, in Night Train to Munich. I don't think they had any bedroom scenes. But they do play a bit of dress up, in an attempt to escape:

500px-night15_sm.jpg?w=511&h=384

• Like 2