Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

Your favorite adapted/original screenplay

47 posts in this topic

Now it's 1953.  Here is best original screenplay:

Betty Comden, Adolph Green, The Band Wagon

Jacques Tati, Henri Marquet, Mr. Hulot's Holiday
Dr. Seuss, Alla Scott, The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.
Juan Antonio Bardem, Luis Garcia Berlanga, Miguel Mihura, Bienvenido Mr. Marshall!
Sam Rolfe, Harold Jack Bloom, The Naked Spur

And here is best adapted screenplay:

Marcel Achard, Max Ophuls, Annette Wademant, The Earrings of Madame De, based on the novel Madame De by Louise de Vilmorin

Henri-Georges Clouzot, Jerome Geronomi, The Wages of Fear, based on the novel of the same name by Georges Arnaud
Charles Lederer, Gentleman Prefer Blondes, based on the musical of the same name by Anita Loos and Joseph Fields
Koga Noda, Yasujiro Ozu, Tokyo Story, based on the movie Make Way for Tomorrow
Matsutaro Kawaguchi, Yoshikta Yoda, Ugetsu Monogotari based on the collection of short stories with the same name by Ueda Akinari

I have not seen The Cruel Sea (adapted), Titanic, The Desert Rats, Take the High Ground (original), Above and Beyond, The Captain's Paradise, Hondo (story).

It is now 1954.  Here is Best Original Screenplay

Akira Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto, Hideo Oguni, Seven Samurai
Vitaliano Brancati, Roberto Rossellini, Journey to Italy
Joseph Mankiewicz, The Barefoot Contessa
Jean Renoir, Andre-Paul Antoine, French Cancan
Budd Schulberg, On the Waterfront

And here is Best Adapted Screenplay

Fuji Yoharo, Yoshikata Yoda, Sansho the Bailiff, based on the story of the same name by Mori Ogai
Moss Hart,  A Star is Born, based on the 1937 movie of the same name
Frederick Knott, Dial M for Murder, based on his play of the same name
John Michael Hayes, Rear Window, based on the story "It Had to be Murder" by Cornell Woolrich
Philip Yordan [Ben Maddow], Johnny Guitar, based on the novel of the same name by Roy Chanslor

I have not seen Genevieve, Knock on Wood (original), Broken Lance, Bread, Love and Dreams, Night People, There's no Business like Show Business (story)  Forbidden Games was nominated back in 1952.

It is now 1955.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay

Carl Thedor Dreyer, Ordet, based on the play of the same name by Kaj Munk

Satyaji Ray, Pather Panchali, based on the novel of the same name by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay

James Agee, The Night of the Hunter, based on the novel of the same name by Davis Grubb

Auguste le Breton, Jules Dassin, Rene Wheeler, Riffi, based on the novel of the same name by Auguste le Breton

Philip Yordan, Frank Burt, The Man from Laramie, based on the serial of the same name by Thomas T. Flynn

And here is Best Original Screenplay

Ingmar Bergman, Smiles of a Summer Night

Betty Comden, Adolph Green, It's Always Fair Weather

Stewart Stem, Rebel Without a Cause

William Rose, The Ladykillers

Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Ralph Wright, Don DaGradi, Lady and the Tramp

I have not seen The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell, The Seven Little Foys (original), The Private War of Major Benson, The Sheep Has Five Legs, Strategic Air Command (story).  Mr. Hulot's Holiday was nominated two years earlier.  This was not a good year for Original Screenplay:  Bergman was a good choice, but trying to fill up the whole five...

Here is 1956.  First, Best Adapted Screenplay: 

Robert Bresson,  A Man Escaped based on the memoir A Man Condemned to Death Has Escaped by Andre Devigny
James Poe, John Farrow, S. J. Perelman, Around the World in 80 Days based on the novel by Jules Verne
Stanley Kubrick, Jim Thompson, The Killing based on the novel Clean Break by Lionel White
Satyaji Ray, Aparajito, based on the novel of the same name and Pather Panchali by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay
Frank S. Nugent, The Searchers, based on the novel of the same name by Alan Le May

And here is Best Original Screenplay:

Albert Lamorisse, The Red Balloon
Jean-Pierre Melville, Bob le Flambeur
Gene Kelly, Invitation to the Dance
Jean Serge, Jean Renoir, Elena and Her Men
Koga Noda, Yasujiro Ozu, Early Spring

I have not seen The Bold and the Brave, Julie (original), The Brave One, The Proud and the Beautiful or High Society (story).  High Society, incidentally is not the Grace Kelly/Bing Crosby musical but a Bowery Boys film that was confused with it by the nominators and which withdrew itself from consideration.  Umberto D and The Ladykillers were nominated in previous years.  This, incidentally, is the last year that there was a separate award for Best Story. 

Now it's 1957.  First we have Best Adapted Screenplay:

Reginald Rose, 12 Angry Men, based on his teleplay of the same name
Clifford Odets, Ernest Lehman, The Sweet Smell of Success, based on Lehman's story "Tell Me About it Tomorrow."
Shinobu Hashimoto, Ryuzu Kaushima, Akira Kurosaw, Hideo Oguni, Throne of Blood, based on the play "MacBeth" by William Shakespeare
Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal based on his play "Wood Painting"
Stanley Kubrick, Caleb Willingham, Jim Thompson, Paths of Glory, based on the novel of the same name by Humphrey Cobb

Now we have Best Original Screenplay:

Ingmar Bergman, Wild Strawberries
Federico Fellini, Ennio Flaiano, Tullio Pineli, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Nights of Cabiria
Chris Marker, Letter from Siberia
Yasujiro Ozu, Koga Noda, Tokyo Twilight
Leonard Gershe, Funny Face

I have not seen Designing Woman, The Man of a Thousand Faces, The Tin Star (original), Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (adapted)

Now it's 1958  First, here is Best Adapted Screenplay

Alec Coppel, Samuel Taylor, Vertigo, based on the novel D'Entre Les Morts by Pierre Boileau, Thomas Narcejac
Sergei Eisenstein, Ivan the Terrible, Part II, a sequel to the movie Ivan the Terrible, Part I
Orson Welles, Touch of Evil, based on the novel Badge of Evil by Whit Masterson
Eric Ambler, A Night to Remember based on the book of the same name by Walter Lord
Satyajit Ray, The Music Room based on the short story of the same name by Tarashankar Bandopadhyay

Jacques Lagrange, Jean L'Hote, Jacques Tati, Mon Oncle
Ben Simcoe, Murder by Contract
Agenore Incrocci, Furio Scarpelli, Suso Cecchi D'Amico, Mario Monicelli, Big Deal on Madonna Street
Mohammed Abu Youssef, Abdel Hai Adid, Cairo Station
Ryusu Kikushima, Hideo Oguni, Shinobu Hashimoto, Akira Kurosawa, The Hidden Fortress

I have not seen The Goddess, Houseboat, The Sheepman or Teacher's Pet (original).

Now it's 1959.   First here is Best Original Screenplay:

Ernest Lehman, North by Northwest
Francois Truffaut, Marcel Moussy, The 400 Blows
Robert Bresson, Pickpocket
Marguerite Duras, Hiroshima, Mon Amour
Fereydoun Hoveyda, Sonali Senroy DasGupta, India: Matri Bhumi

Satyajit Ray, The World of Apu based on the novel Aparajito by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay
Billy Wilder, I.A. Diamond, Some Like it Hot, based on the movie Fanfare of Love
Wendell Mayes, Anatomy of a Murder based on the novel of the same name by Robert Traver
Jules Furthman, Leigh Brackett, Rio Bravo based on the short story of the same name by B.H. McCampbell
Eleanore Griffin, Allan Scott, Imitation of Life based on the novel by the same name by Fannie Hurst

Wild Strawberries was nominated two years earlier

Now it's 1960.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Jean-Luc Godard, Breathless
Billy Wilder, I.A.L. Diamond, The Apartment
Michelangelo Antonioni, Elio Bartolini, Tonino Guerra, L'Avventura
Leo Marks, Peeping Tom
Hideo Oguni, Eijiro Hisaita, Akira Kurosowa, Ryuzo Kaushima, Shinobu Hashimoto, The Bad Sleep Well

And here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Joseph Stefano, Psycho, based on the novel of the same name by Robert Bloch
Francois Truffaut, Marcel Moussy, Shoot the Piano Player, based on the novel Down There by David Goodis
Louise Malle, Jean-Paul Rappaneau, Zazie in the Metro, based on the novel by the same name by Raymond Queneau
Jacques Becker, Jose Giovanni, Jean Aurel, Le Trou based on the novel The Break by Jose Giovanni
Ulla Isaksson, The Virgin Spring based on the ballad "Tore's Daughters in Vange"

I have not seen The Angry Silence, The Facts of Life, Never on Sunday (original) or Tunes of Glory (adapted).  Hiroshima Mon Amour was nominated the previous year.

1 hour ago, skimpole said:

Now it's 1960.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Jean-Luc Godard, Breathless
Billy Wilder, I.A.L. Diamond, The Apartment
Michelangelo Antonioni, Elio Bartolini, Tonino Guerra, L'Avventura
Leo Marks, Peeping Tom

Hideo Oguni, Eijiro Hisaita, Akira Kurosowa, Ryuzo Kaushima, Shinobu Hashimoto, The Bad Sleep Well*

Joseph Stefano, Psycho, based on the novel of the same name by Robert Bloch
Francois Truffaut, Marcel Moussy, Shoot the Piano Player, based on the novel Down There by David Goodis
Louise Malle, Jean-Paul Rappaneau, Zazie in the Metro, based on the novel by the same name by Raymond Queneau
Jacques Becker, Jose Giovanni, Jean Aurel, Le Trou based on the novel The Break by Jose Giovanni
Ulla Isaksson, The Virgin Spring based on the ballad "Tore's Daughters in Vange"

I have not seen The Angry Silence, The Facts of Life, Never on Sunday (original) or Tunes of Glory (adapted).  Hiroshima Mon Amour was nominated the previous year.

Kurosawa' s "The Bad Sleep Well " actually had two versions" one for the Japanese audience and one for the world audience.

Naturally the Japanese version is more convoluted and gives more details of the plot.

Now it's 1961.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Alain Robbe-Grillet, Last Year in Marienbad
Arthur Miller, The Misfits
Ryuzu Kikushima, Akira Kurosawa, Hideo Oguni, Yojimbo
Federico Fellini, Tulio Pinelli, Ennio Flaiano, Brunello Rondi, La Dolce Vita
Jacques Demy, Lola

I.A.L. Diamond, Billy Wilder, One, Two, Three based on the play of the same name by Ferenc Molnar
Sidney Carroll, Robert Rossen, The Huslter based on the novel of the same name by Walter Tevis
Julio Alejandro, Luis Bunuel, Viridiana based on the novel Halma by Benito Perez Galdos
Ernest Lehman, West Side Story based on the play of the same name, book by Walter Tevis
George Axelord, Breakfast at Tiffany's based on the novella of the same name by Truman Capote

I have not seen General Della Rovere (original)

Now it's 1962.   Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Chris Marker, La Jetee
Luis Bunuel, The Exterminating Angel
Michelangelo Antonioni, Tonino Guerra, Elio Bartolini, Ottiero Ottieri, L'Eclisse
Jean-Luc Godard, Marcel Sacotte, Vivre sa Vie
Francesco Rosi, Suso Cecchi D'Amico, Enzo Provensale, Franco Solinias, Salvatore Giulliano

And here is Best Adapted Screenplay

Robert Bolt, Michael Wilson, Lawrence of Arabia based on the writings of T.E. Lawrence
Francois Truffaut, Jean Gruault, Jules and Jim based on the novel of the same name by Henri-Pierre Roche
George Axelrod, The Manchurian Candidate based on the novel of the same name by Richard Condon
Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita, based on his novel of the same name
Eugene O'Neill, Long Day's journey into Night based on his play of the same name

I have not seen Divorce Italian Style, Freud, That Touch of Mink (original).  O'Neill gets a nomination despite being dead for years because Lumet didn't adapt the screenplay, he just took it as is.

Now it's 1963.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Pasquale Festa Campanile, Enrico Midioli, Massimo Franciosi, Luchino Visconti, Suso Cecchi D'Amico, The Leopard, based on the novel of the same name by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
James Clavell, W.R. Burnett, The Great Escape, based on the memoir of the same name by Paul Brickhill
Jean-Luc Godard, Contempt, based on the novel A Ghost at Noon by Alberto Moravia
Nelson Pereira dos Santos, Vidas Secas, based on the novel of the same name by Graciliano Ramos
Ryuzu Kikushima, Hideo Oguni, Eijiro Hisaita, Akira Kurosawa, High and Low, based on the novel King's Ransom by Ed McBain

Ingmar Bergman, Winter Light
Mario Monicelli,  Age & Scarpelli, The Organizer
Ingmar Bergman, The Silence
Jean Cayrol, Muriel
Jacques Demy, Bay of Angels

I have not seen Captain Newman M.D, Lilies of the Field, Sundays and Cybele (adapted)

Now it's 1964.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Alun Owen, A Hard Day's Night
Jacques Demy, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Glaubert Rocha, Black God, White Devil
Michelangelo Antonioni, Tonino Guerra, Red Desert
Francois Truffaut, Jean-Louis Richard, The Soft Skin

Stanley Kubrick, Terry Southern, Peter George, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, based on the novel Red Alert by Peter George
Pier Paolo Pasolini, The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, based on the eponymous gospel
Satyajit Ray, Charulata, based on the novella The Broken Nest by Rabindranath Tagore
Carl Theodor Dreyer, Grethe Risberg Thomsen, Gertrud based on the play of the same name by Hjalmar Soderberg
Jean-Luc Godard, Band of Outsiders, based on the novel Fool's Gold by Dolores Hitchens

I have not seen Father Goose, One Potato, Two Potato or That Man From Rio (original).  The Organizer was nominated the previous year.

Now it's 1965.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Marc Behm, Charles Wood, Help!
Natto Wada, Yoshio Shirasaka,  Shintaro Tanikawa, Kon Ickikawa, Tokyo Olympiad
Agnes Varda, Le Bonheur
Roman Polanski, Gerard Brach, David Stone, Repulsion
Ebrahim Golestan, The Brick and the Mirror

Jean-Luc Godard, Pierrot le Fou, based on the novel Obsession by Lionel White
Lukas Heller, The Flight of the Phoenix based on the novel of the same name by Elleston Trevor
Orson Welles, Chimes at Midnight, based on the history plays of William Shakespeare
Robert Bolt, Doctor Zhivago, based on the novel of the same name by Boris Pasternak
Jean-Marie Straub, Danielle Huillet, Not Reconciled, based on the novel Billards at Half Past Nine by Heinrich Boll

I have not seen Casanova'70 (original).  The Umbrellas of Cherbourg was nominated the previous year.

Now it's 1966.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons, based on his play of the same name
Alexander Kluge, Yesterday Girl, based on his story "Anita G."
Ernest Lehman, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, based on the play of the same name by Edward Albee
Janet Green, John McCormick, 7 Women, based on the short story "Chinese Finale" by Norah Lofts
Jiri Menzel, Closely Watched Trains, based on the novel of the same name by Bohumil Hrabal

Ingmar Bergman, Persona
Robert Bresson, Au Hasard Balthazar
Age & Scarpelli, Luciano Vincenzoni, Sergio Leone, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Jean-Luc Godard, Masculin Feminin
Vera Chytilova, Ester Krumbachova, Pavel Juracek, Daisies

I have not seen  A Man and a Woman, Khartoum, The Naked Prey (original) or The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming  (adapted).  Oddly enough Blowup got an original screenplay nomination despite it being inspired by a story by Julio Cortazar.  Also Made in USA is based on a novel called The Jugger.  But Godard didn't pay for the adaptation rights, which meant the movie was long unavailable in the United States. 

Now it's 1967.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Jacques Tati, Jacques Lagrange, Art Buchwald, Playtime
Jean-Luc Godard, Weekend
Frederic Raphael, Two for the Road
Jacques Demy, The Young Girls of Rochefort
Jean-Pierre Melville, Le Samourai

Frantisek Pavlicek, Frantisek Vlacil, Marketa Lazarova, based on the novel of the same name by Vladislav Vancura
Robert Bresson, Mouchette, based on the novel of the same name by George Bernanos
Luis Bunuel, Jean-Claude Carriere, Belle de Jour, based on the novel of the same name by Joseph Kessel
Sergei Bondarchuk, Vasili Solovyov, War and Peace, based on the novel of the same name by Leo Tolstoy
Buck Henry, Calder Willingham, The Graduate, based on the novel by the same by Charles Webb

I have not seen Divorce American Style, The War is Over (original) or Ulysses (adapted).

Now it's 1968.  Here's Best Original Screenplay:

Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, 2001:  A Space Odyssey
Sergio Donati, Sergio Leone, Once Upon a Time in the West
Franco Solinas, Gillo Pontecorvo, The Battle of Algiers
David Sherwin, If...
Mel Brooks, The Producers

And here's Best Adapted Screenplay

Lee Mindof, Al Brodax, Jack Mendelsohn, Eric Segal, Yellow Submarine based on the songs of the Beatles.
Vernon Harris, Oliver!  based on the musical of the same name book by Lionel Bart and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Roman Polanski, Rosemary's Baby based on the novel of the same name by Ira Levin
Sergei Parajanov, The Color of Pomegranates based on the poems of Sayat Nova
Jean-Marie Straub, Danielle Huillet, The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach based on the music and correspondence of Johann Sebastian Bach. 

I have not seen Hot Millions (original)

Now it's 1969.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Jorge Semprum, Costa-Gavras, Z, based on the novel of the same name by Vassilis Vasillikos
Jean-Pierre Melville, Army of Shadows, based on the memoir of the same name by Joseph Kessel
Yuri Nagibin, Mikhali Kalatazov, Richard L. Adams, Ennio De Concini, The Red Tent based on the novel of the same name by Nagibin.
Barry Hines, Ken Loach, Tony Garnett, Kes, based on Hines' novel A Kestrel for a Knave
Waldo Salt, Midnight Cowboy, based on the novel of the same name by James Leo Herlihy

Andrei Konchalovsky, Andrei Tarkovsky, Andrei Rublev
Luis Bunuel, Jean-Claude Carriere, The Milky Way
Walon Grey, Roy N. Sickner, Sam Peckinpah, The Wild Bunch
Nicola Badalucco, Enrico Medioli, Luchino Visconti, The Damned
William Goldman, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I have not seen Goodbye Columbus (adapted)

Now it's 1970.  Here is Beat Adapted Screenplay

Jorge Semprum, Artur London, The Confession based on the memoir of the same name by London
Bernardo Bertolucci, The Conformist, based on the novel of the same name by Alberto Moravia
Larry Forrester, Hideo Oguni, Ryuzu Kikushima, Tora! Tora! Tora!, based on the book of the same name by Gordon W. Prange and The Broken Seal by Ladislas Farago
Francois Truffaut, Jean Gruault, The Wild Child, based on The Memorandum and Report on Victor de l'Aveyron by Dr, Jean Marc Gaspard Itard
Calder Willingham, Little Big Man, based on the novel of the same name by Thomas Berger

Jean Renoir, The Little Theatre of Jean Renoir
Adrien Joyce, Bob Rafelson, Five Easy Pieces
Jean-Pierre Melville, The Red Circle
Jerzy Gruza, Jerzy Skolimowski, Boleslaw Sulik, Deep End
John Crawford, Edmund Penney, The Ballad of Cable Hogue

I have not seen Joe (original) or Lovers and Other Strangers (adapted)

Now it's 1971  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Luchino Visconti, Nicola Badalucco, Death in Venice, based on the novella of the same name by Thomas Mann
Robert Altman, Brian McKay, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, based on the novel McCabe by Edmund Naughton
Francois Truffaut, Jean Grault, Two English Girls, based on the novel Two English Girls on the Continent by Henri-Pierre Roche
Larry McMurtry, Peter Bogdanovich, The Last Picture Show, based on the novel of the same name by McMurtry
Stanley Kubrick, A Clockwork Orange, based on the novel of the same name by Anthony Burgess

Louis Malle, Murmur of the Heart
Marcel Ophuls, Andre Harris, The Sorrow and the Pity
Werner Herzog, Land of Silence and Darkness
Nagisa Oshima, Kenzo Kawarasaki, Tsutomu Tamura, The Ceremony
Werner Herzog, Fata Morgana

I have not seen Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, Summer of '42 (original).  The Conformist was nominated the previous year.

Now it's 1972.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Francis Ford Coppola, Mario Puzo, The Godfather, based on the novel of the same name by Puzo
Fridrikh Gorenshtein, Andrei Tarkovsky, Solaris, based on the novel of the same name by Stanislaw Lem
Jay Presson Allen, Cabaret, based on the musical of the same name by Fred Ebb and John Kander, and the book by Joe Masteroff
Anthony Shaffer, Frenzy, based on the novel Goodbye Piccadilly, Farewell Leicester Square by Arthur La Bern
Billy Wilder, I. A. Diamond, Avanti!, based on the play of the same name by Samuel A. Taylor.

Luis Bunuel, Jean-Claude Carriere, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Werner Herzog, Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Gyula Hernadi, Red Psalm
Tito de Stefano, Tonino Guerra, The Mattei Affair
John Waters, Pink Flamingos

I have not seen Lady Sings the Blues, Young Winston (original) or Pete 'n' Tillie (adapted.)

Now it is 1973.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Ingmar Bergman, Cries and Whispers
Jean Eustache, The Mother and the ****
Terrence Malick, Badlands
David S. Ward, The Sting
Victor Erice, Angel Fernandez Santos, Francisco J. Querejeta, The Spirit of the Beehive

David Sherwin, O Lucky Man!, sequel to the movie If...
Allan Scott, Chris Bryant, Don't Look Now, based on the short story of the same name by Daphne Du Maurier
Leigh Brackett, The Long Goodbye, based on the novel of the same name by Raymond Chandler
Paul Monash, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, based on the novel of the same name by George V. Higgins
Kenneth Ross, The Day of the Jackal, based on the novel of the same name by Frederick Forsyth

I have not seen Save the Tiger, A Touch of Class (original), The Paper Chase or Paper Moon (adapted)