Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

Your favorite adapted/original screenplay

92 posts in this topic

Now it's 2002.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Ronald Harwood, The Pianist, based on the memoir of the same name by Wladyslaw Szpilman

Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Stephen Sinclair, Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings:  the Two Towers, based on the novel of the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien

Liana Dognini, Lynne Ramsay, Morvern Callar, based on the novel of the same name by Alan Warner

Patrick McGrath, Spider, based on his novel of the same name

Jean-Claude Grumberg, Costa-Gavras, Amen, based on the play The Deputy: A Christian Tragedy by Roth Hochhuth

And here is Best Original Screenplay:

Hayao Miyazaki, Spirited Away

Anatoli Nikiforov, Alexander Sokurov, Russian Ark

Paul Thomas Anderson, Punch-Drunk Love

Abbas Kiarostami, Ten

Aki Kaurismaki, The Man Without a Past

I don’t think I’ve seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding (original) and I haven’t seen About a Boy (adapted)

Now it is 2003.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings:  the Return of the King, based on the novel of the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hwang Jo-yoon, Lim Joon-hyeong, Park Chan-Wook, Oldboy. Based on the manga of the same name by Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya

Brian Helgeland, Mystic River, based on the novel of the same name by Dennis Lehane

Shari Springer Berman, Robert Pulcini, American Splendor, based on the graphic novel of the same name by Harvey Pekar and the graphic novel Our Cancer Year by Pekar and Joyce Brabner

Larry Doyle, Looney Tunes:  Back in the Action, based on the Warner Brothers cartoon series

Andrew Stanton, Bob Peterson, David Reynolds, Finding Nemo

Jim Sheridan, Naomi Sheridan, Kirsten Sheridan, In America

Abbas Kiarostami, Crimson Gold

Lars Von Trier, Dogville

Thom Andersen, Los Angeles Plays Itself

I have not seen Dirty Pretty Things (original)

Now it's 2004.  Here's Best Original Screenplay:

Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Pierre Bismuth, The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Brad Bird, The Incredibles

Theo Angelopoulos, The Weeping Meadow

Roger Bohbot, Arnaud Desplechin, Kings and Queen

Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Tropical Malady

And here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Guillaume Laurent, A Very Long Engagement, based on the novel of the same by Sebastien Japrisot

Wong-Kar Wai, 2046, sequel to the movie In the Mood for Love directed by Wong

J.J. Connolly, Layer Cake, based on his novel of the same name

Lucie Hadziholilovic, Innocence based on the novella Mine-Haha or the Bodily Education of Young Girls by Frank Wedekind

Clare Denis, Jean-Paul Fargeau, The Intruder, based on the essay of the same name by Jean-Luc Nancy

I have not seen The Motorcycle Diaries (adapted)

Now it's 2005.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Shane Black, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, based on the novel Bodies are Where you Find Them by Brett Halliday

Hayao Miyazaki, Howl’s Moving Castle, based on the novel of the same name by Diana Wynne Jones

Josh Olsen,  A History of Violence, based on the graphic novel of the same name by John Wagner and Vince Locke

Dan Futterman, Capote, based on the biography of the same name by Gerald Clarke

Joss Whedon, Serenity, based on the television show Firefly created by Whedon

Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne, The Child

Cristi Puiu, Razvan Radulescu, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

Yuri Arabov, Jeremy Noble, The Sun

Philippe Garrel, Arlette Langmann, Marc Chodolenko, Regular Lovers

Woody Allen, Match Point

Now it's 2006.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Guillaume Cantet, Philippe Lefebvre, Tell No One, based on the novel of the same name by Harlan Coben

Alfonso Cuaron, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus, Hawk Owtsby, Children of Men, based on the novel The Children of Men by P.D. James

Pedro Almovodar, Volver, sequel to his movie The Flower of my Secret

Garrison Keillor, A Prairie Home Companion, based on his radio series of the same name.

Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan, The Prestige, based on the novel of the same name by Christopher Priest

And here is Best Orignal Screenplay:

Jafar Panahi, Shadmehr Rastin, Offside

Jia Zhangke, Sun Jianming, Guan Na, Still Life

Corneliu Porumboiu, 12:08 East of Bucharest

Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Syndromes and a Century

Russell Gerwitz, Inside Man

I have not seen Notes from a Scandal, Little Children (adapted)

Now it's 2007.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will be Blood, based on the novel Oil by Upton Sinclair

Sarah Polley, Away from Her, based on the short story “The Bear Went Over the Mountain” by Alice Munro

Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Parronaud, Persepolis, based on the graphic novel of the same name by Satrapi

James Vanderbilt, Zodiac, based on the books Zodiac and Zodiac Unmasked by Robert Graysmith

Eric Rohmer, The Romance of Astree and Celadon, based on L’Astree by Honore d’Urfe

Cristian Mungiu, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

Abdellatif Kechiche, Ghalia Lacroix, The Secret of the Grain

Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton

Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Ratatouille

Kelly Masterson, Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead

I have not seen Lars the Real Girl, The Savages (original)

Now it's 2008.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon, Pete Docter, Wall-E

Arnaud Desplechin, Emmanuel Bordieu, A Christmas Tale

Edna Walsh, Steve McQueen, Hunger

Charlie Kaufman, Synecdoche, New York

Mike Leigh, Happy-Go-Lucky

Hayao Miyazaki, Ponyo, based on the fairy tale “The Little Mermaid” by Hans Christian Andersen

Matteo Garrone, Robert Savione, Maurizio Braucci, Ugo Chiti, Gianni Di Gregorio, Massimo Gaudioso, Gomorrah, based on the book of the same name by Saviano

Kuo Cheng, Sheng Heyu, Chan Khan, John Woo, Red Cliff, Part 1, based on the novel The Romance of the Three Kingdoms and other sources

John Raymond, Kelly Reichardt, Wendy and Lucy, based on the story “Train Choir” by Raymond

Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight, based on the Batman comics created by DC comics

I don’t think I’ve seen Frozen River (original)

Now it's 2009.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay

Wes Anderson, Noah Baumbach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, based on the novel of the same name by Roald Dahl

Kuo Cheng, Sheng Heyu, Chan Khan, John Woo, Red Cliff, Part 2 based on the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Ianuccui, Tony Roche, In The Loop, based on characters from the television series The Thick of It

Stephane Aubier, Guillaume Malandrin, Vincent Patar, Vincent Tavier, A Town Called Panic, based on the television series of the same name

Sheldon Turner, Jason Reitman, Up in the Air, based on the novel of the same name by Walter Kirn

And here is Best Original Screenplay

Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Bob Peterson, Peter Docter, Thomas McCarthy, Up

Terry Gilliam, Charles McKeown, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Jim Jarmusch, The Limits of Control

Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker

I have not seen The Messenger (original)

Now it's 2010.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Carlos Saboga, Mysteries of Lisbon, based on the novel of the same name by Camilo Castelo Branco

Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network, based on the book The Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich

Michael Arndt (screenplay), John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich, Toy Story 3, sequel to the films Toy Story and Toy Story 2

Robert Harris, Roman Polanski, The Ghost Writer, based on Harris’ novel The Ghost

Debra Granik, Anne Rosellini, Winters’s Bone, based on the novel of the same name by Daniel Woodrell

Abbas Kiarostami, Certified Copy

Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives

Charles Ferguson, Chad Beck, Adam Bolt, Inside Job

Mark Heyman, Andres Heinz, John McLaughlin, Black Swan

Olivier Assayas, Dan Franck, Daniel Leconte, Carlos

I have not seen Another Year (original) 

Now it's 2011.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life

Lars Von Trier, Melancholia

Asghar Farhadi, A Separation

Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne, The Kid With a Bike

Evan Glodell, Bellflower

Alexander Sokurov, Marina Koreneva, Yuri Arabov, Faust, based on the German legend

John Logan, Hugo, based on the novel The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Terence Davies, The Deep Blue Sea, based on the play of the same name by Terence Rattigan

Bridget O’Connor, Peter Straughan, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy based on the novel of the same name by John Le Carre

Josh Applebaum, Andre Nemec, Mission:  Impossible—Ghost Protocol, based on the television series created by Bruce Geller

I have not seen Bridesemaids, Margin Call (original) or The Ides of March (adapted)

Now it's 2012.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom

Terrence Malick, To the Wonder

Leos Carax, Holy Motors

Abbas Kiarostami, Like Someone in Love

Terence Nance, An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

Neal Purvis, Robert Wade, John Logan, Skyfall, based on the characters created by Ian Fleming

Tony Kusher, Lincoln, based in part on the book Team of Rivals:  the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Goodwin

David Cronenberg, Cosmopolis, based on the novel of the same name by Don DeLillo

Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro, The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Journey, based on the novel The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Lucy Alibar, Ben Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild, based on Alibar’s play Juicy and Delicious

I have not seen Flight (original)

Now it's 2013.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Abdellatif Kechiche, Ghalia Lacroix, Blue is the Warmest Colour, based on the graphic novel of the same name by Julie March

Aleksei German, Svetlana Karmalita, Hard to be a God, based on the novel of the same name by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Terence Winter, The Wolf of Wall Street, based on the memoir of the same name by Jordan Belfort

Hayao Miyizaki, The Wind Rises, based in part on the novel The Wind Has Risen by Tatsuo Hori

Walter Campbell, Jonathan Glazer, Under the Skin, based on the novel of the same name by Michel Faber

Spike Jonze, Her

Wong Kar-wai, Zou Jingshi, Hu Hagfeng, The Grandmaster

Pat Rushin, The Zero Theorem

Jia Zhangke, A Touch of Sin

Lars von Trier, Nymph()maniac

Now it's 2014.  Here is Best Adapted Screenplay:

Isao Takahata, Riko Sakaguchi, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, based on the Japanese legend “The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter”

Christian Petzold, Haroun Farocki, Phoenix, based on the novel The Return From the Ashes by Hubert Monteilhet

Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice, based on the novel of the same name by Thomas Pynchon

Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl, based on her novel of the same name

Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Ebru Ceylan, Winter Sleep, based on the short stort “The Wife” by Anton Chekhov

Wes Anderson, Hugo Guiness, The Grand Budapest Hotel

Luc Dardenne, Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Two Days, One Night

Mike Leigh, Mr. Turner

Andrey Zvyagintsev, Oleg Negin, Leviathan

Celine Sciamma, Girlhood

Now it's 2015.  Here is Best Original Screenplay

Pete Docter, Meg LaFauve, Josh Cooley (screenplay) Docter, Ronnie del Carmen, Inside Out

Terrence Malick, Knight of Cups

Alexander Sokurov, Francofonia

Evan Johnson, Robert Kotyk, Guy Maddin, John Ashbery, The Forbidden Room

Olivia Neergaard-Holm, Sebastian Schipper, Elke Frederik Schulz, Victoria

Masashi Ando, Keiko Niwa, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, When Marnie Was There, based on the novel of the same name by Joan G. Robinson

Arnaud Desplechin, Julie Peyr, My Golden Days, prequel to the movie My Sex Life…Or How I got into an Argument

Terence Davies, Sunset Song, based on the novel of the same name by Lewis Grassic Gibbons

Hou Hsiao-hsien, Chu T’ien-wen, Hsieh Hai-Meng, Ah Cheng, The Assassin, inspired by the short story “Nie Yinniang,” by Pei Xing

Phyllis Nagy, Carol, based on the novel The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith

I have not seen Straight Outta Compton (original)

Now it's 2016.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Jim Jarmusch, Paterson

Terence Davies, A Quiet Passion

Asghar Farhadi, The Salesman

Kenneth Lonegran, Manchester by the Sea

Andrea Arnold, American Honey

Park Chan-wook, Chung Seo-kung, The Handmaiden, based on the novel Fingersmith by SarahWaters

Barry Jenkins (screenplay), Tarell Alvin McCraney (story), Moonlight, based on McCraney’s play In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue

Jay ****, Martin Scorsese, Silence, based on the  novel of the same name by Shusaku Endo

Andrew Stanton, Victoria Strouse, Finding Dory, sequel to the movie Finding Nemo, directed by Stanton

Whit Stillman, Love & Friendship, based on the novel Lady Susan by Jane Austen

And now finally, its 2017.  Here is Best Original Screenplay:

Agnes Varda, Faces Places

Terrence Malick, Song to Song

Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread

Abbas Kiarostami, 24 Frames

Darren Aronofsky, Mother!

Brian Selznick, Wonderstruck  based on his novel of the same name

Paul King, Simon Farnaby, Paddington 2, based on the character created by Michael Bond.

Luc Besson, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, based on the comic strip Valerian by Pierre Cristin and Jean-Claude Mezieres

Lynne Ramsey, You Were Never Really There based on the novella of the same name by Jonathan Ames

Liz Hannah, Josh Singer, The Post, based on the memoir Personal History by Katherine Graham

I have not seen Mudbound (adapted)

Now that I've gone through this exercise, what can I conclude from it?  My choices for best screenplays not surprisingly tracks with my favorite movies of the year.  When was my screenplay not my best movie of the year?  Well, there are documentaries.  There are four Spielberg movies that were my best movie for the year, but the screenplays didn't win.  Some years were striking in how far I had to go to find a winner, like 1955 Original Screenplay, 1958 Original Screenplay, 1966 Adapted Screenplay, 1983 Adapted Screenplay, 1986 Adapted Screenplay and 1997 Adapted Screenplay.  I was also struck by how Network won 1976 best Original screenplay.  It's not one of my favorite movies of the year, but the dialogue is certainly memorable.  Also, because short films can be nominated for best screenplay, The Red Balloon, La Jetee and Tale of Tales were all winners.