Sign in to follow this  
dsclassic

William Bendix - rock on appreciation thread !

11 posts in this topic

Seems like every movie I have decided to watch lately..Lifeboat, Dark Corner, there is William Bendix sneaking up on me

I really enjoy his work, I first saw him in Hold that Ghost with Abbott and Costello....now I have seen him in several films...The Glass Key is so far I think his best but Lifeboat is also really good...

Dark Corner I cant get into at..but good old Mr Bendix is tremendous as a heavy

He lived a rather short life..

Here is to you William Bendix..

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Yep, Bendix definitely rocks!!! His body type and voice kind of typecast him, but he could do heavies and loveable oafs equally well, I thought he was cool!

You've nailed it. Adorable lug or sadistic thug. I also like him in GLASS KEY. Like the movie a lot as well. And that one where he's a cop, pursuing Robert Mitchum. THE BIG STEAL?

You should check my Thread: Happy Birthday William Bendix January 14, 1906 ? December 14, 1964!

I loved him in "Macao" W./Jane Russell and Robert Mitchum!

he had some weird hair...it flapped when he was in an action scene and it looked like he was bald under it, like it was a Murrays Wig or something

All I have to say is----LIFEBOAT!!! One of his absolute best.

I also love him in Macao, Guadalcanal Diary, Wake Island. He is actually really good in everything, but I really like him in film noir and the war movies.

He rules! There needs to be a William Bendix "what a character" if there is not one all ready. There should also be a William Bendix day or night of his films.

-

kpr

Kim,

James Cromwell, if memory serves me correctly, narrates the William Bendix "What a Character" promo.

I saw it just last week!

One of Bendix's best roles was in "The Blue Dahlia". Bendix and star Alan Ladd were said to be good friends off screen as well, but something happened to cause a rift, though I'm not sure what.

I also enjoy "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Cour"t, which, now that I think of it, was a sort of "road movie" with Bing Crosby and Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Now, William Bendix's hair was decidedly weird in that movie.

Although he did not have a very big role William Bendix gave his usual fine performance in the Tracy/Hepburn 1942 classic, "Woman Of The Year".