Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Married for the first time at a later age

13 posts in this topic

Is there still a stigma against people in their 30s who have never been married?

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 10.57.05 AM

James Stewart..didn't get married until he was 41.

Ralph Meeker..first marriage at age 43.

Helen Mirren..first marriage at age 52.

Salma Hayek..first marriage at age 42.

Jerry Seinfeld..first married at age 45.

George Takei..married his longtime partner at age 71.

Cameron Diaz..first marriage at age 42.

Elizabeth Hurley..first marriage at age 41.

Vince Vaughn..first marriage at age 40.

Neil Patrick Harris..married his boyfriend David Burtka at age 41.

Margaret Rutherford…married Stringer Davis at age 53.

• Like 1

I'll bet that for people working in the industry, particularly actors, marriage is a very hard choice when getting ahead depends on being able to pick up at a moment's notice and to roll with the punches in general. I wouldn't be surprised if a now-or-never moment more often than not turns into never for married actors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yes, I don't think it's much of an issue nowadays.

I agree

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Is there still a stigma against people in their 30s who have never been married?

From my experience standing in line at the supermarket, there are still a few "fringe" (in my estimation) publications which seem to delight in occasionally doing their bullying who's-gay-and-who-isn't thing. Bachelorhood still seems to be, to some minds, suspect, so the problem hasn't entirely gone away. It's not like 20+ years ago when they used to go hog wild but, you know, enquiring minds want to know. The wider, more broad-minded public doesn't seem to care much about that aspect of celebrities' lives. It seems as though the economy and job market may be a factor too; it's not like the old days when you automatically went from school to career. It's harder to get established and marriage may have to wait, so they understand about others being unmarried too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

From my experience standing in line at the supermarket, there are still a few "fringe" (in my estimation) publications which seem to delight in occasionally doing their bullying who's-gay-and-who-isn't thing. Bachelorhood still seems to be, to some minds, suspect, so the problem hasn't entirely gone away. It's not like 20+ years ago when they used to go hog wild but, you know, enquiring minds want to know. The wider, more broad-minded public doesn't seem to care much about that aspect of celebrities' lives. It seems as though the economy and job market may be a factor too; it's not like the old days when you automatically went from school to career. It's harder to get established and marriage may have to wait, so they understand about others being unmarried too.

This relates to the whole idea of 'arranged marriages' in Hollywood to cover up alleged homosexuality. Gene Raymond and Jeanette MacDonald were pushed into an arranged marriage by L.B. Mayer. Interestingly, they remained together until her death in the 1960s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This relates to the whole idea of 'arranged marriages' in Hollywood to cover up alleged homosexuality. Gene Raymond and Jeanette MacDonald were pushed into an arranged marriage by L.B. Mayer. Interestingly, they remained together until her death in the 1960s.

They were a beautiful "couple".

• Like 1

The only actors who still go for this sort of things are Scientologist

24 minutes ago, jaragon said:

The only actors who still go for this sort of things are Scientologist

Still go for what-- arranged marriages?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Still go for what-- arranged marriages?

Yes!

7 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Yes!

Any specific examples come to mind? Or are you just commenting in a general sort of way?

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This marriage was more about covering up her sexual and romantic relationship with Nelson Eddy, her partner on screen.  Far as I can see Gene Raymond and Nelson Eddy had a tremendous resemblance.

Jeanette loved Nelson Eddy till the day she died and Gene Raymond simply had to accept it.

To Further complicate this issue, there have been strong rumors and innuendos of a sexual Affair between Jeanette and Louis B. Mayer before the Gene Raymond marriage.

For an interesting primary source,  you should take a look at the Jeanette MacDonald funeral on YouTube.

There were important political figures there like Barry Goldwater, whom she supported in the presidential election, but also there was quite a gay contingent of artists. Prominently figured was my favorite pianist Van Cliburn.

• Like 2

Gene Raymond was too beautiful to spend his life alone.

I assume that he had any number of gay affairs.