Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Most romantic couple on screen

Most romantic couple on screen  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie couple is the most romantic?

• Irene Dunne & Charles Boyer (3 films)
    • Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy (9 films)
    • Heath Ledger & Jake Gyllenhaal (1 film)
    • Sidney Poiter & Elizabeth Hartman (1 film)
    • Joel McCrea & Frances Dee (4 films)
    • Ginger Rogers & Fred Astaire (10 films)
    • Loretta Young & Jeff Chandler (1 film)
    • Maureen O'Hara & John Wayne (5 films)
    • Margaret Sullavan & James Stewart (4 films)
    • Other (please specify)

18 posts in this topic

I'm sure I could have provided a hundred choices. 

My vote is for Loretta Young & Jeff Chandler.

I would say Powell and Loy.    Also, I'm surprised Bogie and Bacall are not on the list but like TB said there are many other choices that one could add.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would say Powell and Loy.    Also, I'm surprised Bogie and Bacall are not on the list but like TB said there are many other choices that one could add.

Thanks. I should have added Bogart & Bacall. I couldn't think of any African American couples, but I haven't seen very many blaxploitation flicks. And typically the couples were not depicted too romantically in those.

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I couldn't think of any African American couples

Maybe not appropriate for the topic, but the only couple I can think of right now is Paul Winfield and Cicely Tyson in Sounder. Together they face the hardships of a Black family during the Depression and try to raise a family with strong values. When Nathan is released and he goes home, Rebecca runs to greet him; he is limping, in pain, desperate, but keeps walking. She runs fast, concerned, relieved, and happy.  It is their love for each other that keeps together and gives them strength and hope; their children follow her and greet their father playfully and reassured. It is a smashing scene.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Arsan404 said:

Maybe not appropriate for the topic, but the only couple I can think of right now is Paul Winfield and Cicely Tyson in Sounder. Together they face the hardships of a Black family during the Depression and try to raise a family with strong values. When Nathan is released and he goes home, Rebecca runs to greet him; he is limping, in pain, desperate, but keeps walking. She runs fast, concerned, relieved, and happy.  It is their love for each other that keeps together and gives them strength and hope; their children follow her and greet their father playfully and reassured. It is a smashing scene.

Maybe the best example is Dorothy Dandridge & Harry Belafonte.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Maybe the best example is Dorothy Dandridge & Harry Belafonte.

Agreed; I didn't think of them because I haven't seen Carmen Jones in long time.

• Thanks 1

Well, my vote would also go to Loretta Young and Jeff Chandler.  That's my idea of true romance.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Well, my vote would also go to Loretta Young and Jeff Chandler.  That's my idea of true romance.

Yes. I think BECAUSE OF YOU has to be the sexiest Hollywood film made during the code era. Loretta is a revelation in it. She is very much cast against type. Two years later, when asked what his favorite film was, Jeff Chandler cited this one. Supposedly he fell deeply in love with her while making the picture. There is an incredibly romantic sex scene after the characters are married in Mexico. If all honeymoon scenes in movies were so convincingly done.

I chose "Other" - and my pick is William Powell and Myrna Loy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the poll. I picked Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne. I spent so much of my early life blocking John Wayne out of my consciousness because of the political stuff. When I finally let myself look at him, I liked what I saw in an awful lot of films. Even if the movie itself wasn't great, I was surprised at how he was able to open up with a female costar, especially with Maureen O'Hara. The Quiet Man is off-the-charts romantic.

The-Quiet-Man-2.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/8/2018 at 4:20 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm also in the William Powell/Myrna Loy camp with respect to this poll.

• Thanks 1

All good choices.  John Garfield and Lana Turner are memorable in The Postman Always Rings Twice.  And Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift are simply devastating in A Place in the Sun.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

All good choices.  John Garfield and Lana Turner are memorable in The Postman Always Rings Twice.  And Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift are simply devastating in A Place in the Sun.

I don't find Garfield and Turner to be very romantic; instead it is more animalistic lust.

But yea, a lot of doomed romance in A Place in the Sun.   

2 hours ago, jaragon said:

Grant and Bergman in "Notorious"....

Interesting choice.    Yea,  on the surface they are a romantic couple,  but the Grant character is one mixed up and bitter puppy in this film and how he treat the Bergman character is anything but romantic.

(but the 'she is making him a chicken' scene is a very romantic one,  but it is all down hill from there, until the ending).

Can we vote twice? (Probably not, but it's such a difficult choice.)

My back-up would be Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne. The romance in Love Affair (1939) is so sweet, but Boyer also has such an intrinsic erotic charge to his personality and Dunne seems so open to it, that it's pretty sexy as well. And the humor...Not at all overdone; just on the level of a very pleasant camaraderie. Sometimes movie couples have their ups and downs over the course of a film (in terms of audience relatability), but I never once lost the sense of attraction between these two fine actors.

boyer13.jpg

• Like 3

Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in An Affair To Remember. Loy and Powell were more comedy then what I would consider romantic. Nicole Kidmanand Jude Law were also great in Cold Mountain. I think that is the name of the movie. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diane65 said:

Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in An Affair To Remember. Loy and Powell were more comedy then what I would consider romantic. Nicole Kidmanand Jude Law were also great in Cold Mountain. I think that is the name of the movie. 

I think it's interesting that people mention Dunne & Boyer in LOVE AFFAIR or Grant & Kerr in the remake. But nobody mentions Warren Beatty & Annette Bening in the 1994 version.

screen.jpg