Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Most romantic couple on screen

Most romantic couple on screen  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie couple is the most romantic?

• Irene Dunne & Charles Boyer (3 films)
    • Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy (9 films)
    • Heath Ledger & Jake Gyllenhaal (1 film)
    • Sidney Poiter & Elizabeth Hartman (1 film)
    • Joel McCrea & Frances Dee (4 films)
    • Ginger Rogers & Fred Astaire (10 films)
    • Loretta Young & Jeff Chandler (1 film)
    • Maureen O'Hara & John Wayne (5 films)
    • Margaret Sullavan & James Stewart (4 films)
    • Other (please specify)

37 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Philip Muldoon said:

Of course I'd be wrong not to say:

Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday!

Audrey Hepburn and Holden/Bogart in Sabrina.

Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney in Two for the Road (ok painful)

Audrey Hepburn and William Holden in Forget Paris

Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire in Funny Face

Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole in How to Steal a Million

Well I'm starting to sense a trend here...

How come you didn't mention Audrey & Cary in CHARADE..? :) 

Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire in "The Enchanted Cottage" - 1945 -

image.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rayban said:

Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire in "The Enchanted Cottage" - 1945 -

image.jpg

These two are also quite lovely together in CLAUDIA (1943) and CLAUDIA AND DAVID (1946).

• Like 1

Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castelnuovo in "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" -

Umbrellas-of-Cherbourg-1964-08.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My long winded and, perhaps, unnecessary discussion of four films on the "essentials" thread (Brief Encounter, Summertime, The Bridges Of Madison County and Weekend) only confirms how difficult a poll like this is. For one thing, there are so many combinations of "romance": heterosexual, gay/lesbian, nonsexual but emotional or intellectual, long-term relationships and marriages that last, short term affairs (as suggested in those four films discussed), Beauty And The Beast, etc. Then there were those performers who were married both off screen and on such as Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman.

Figured that I should choose ONLY from the names listed in the poll, so I picked Hepburn-Tracy based on their very last movie, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, because they give one the best presentations of a married couple who has gone through many years of thick and thin together and have lasted due to compatible lifestyles and shared convictions (in this case, an agreed acceptance of people regardless of race even if it takes a bit longer for Tracy to adjust to the idea of his only daughter practicing what he always preached). In some of their earlier films, they tend to come off as really great friends rather than "lovers". I also like Myrna Loy and Frederic March together in The Best Years Of Our Lives; her explanation to daughter Theresa Wright is a pretty good one that most parents should give when their children say something along the lines of "you don't understand what it is like because it was easier for you and dad".

I must admit with some guilty pleasure that I really like Doris Day and Rock Hudson together and think, if he really wanted to marry a woman off screen who wasn't Phyllis Gates, Doris would have been it. Hudson actually succeeded very well as a heterosexual leading man in movies, provided the woman was feisty like Doris or Liz Taylor in Giant... or even Julie Andrews in Darling Lili.

Some actors and actresses are so emotionally expressive on screen that they are pretty compatible with just about any co-star. William Holden is one who comes to mind, as well as Juliette Binoche, Audrey Hepburn, Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal regardless if they are together or with somebody else... more I can add when I think of them.

Perhaps the most erotic couple that I have watched are Clara Calamai and Massimo Girotti in Ossessione (1943). You do need a shower after that one.

Only watched Brokeback Mountain once and couldn't get into that relationship at all, but the gay male genre is one that has developed gradually and is still struggling to get a mainstream audience already comfortable with "heteronormal" cinema for a full century (and many, many movie fans refuse to watch any of those films, prefering their "gay" characters to be supporting "comic relief" or "best friends" of the heteronormal leads). Some made in the early years like Christopher Larkin's A Very Natural Thing (1973) are quite ahead of their time and are worthy a look. Lesbian films get even less attention, although I consider Fried Green Tomatoes as one mainstream example despite nothing sexual presented on screen (a key reason few fans of it ever consider it anything remotely "lesbian"); the characters played by Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary-Louise Parker are very carefully developed with one male (Buddy, played by Chris O'Donnel) whose death initially ties them together, a second male (the cruel Frank married to one and whose disappearance involved the other) strengthens their relationship and a third male (Buddy Junior, the son of Parker's Ruth) will presumably remind the one of the love of her life after her passing.

• Like 1

Gable and Leigh

Gable and Colbert

Gable and Harlow

Gable and Garson

Gable and Turner

Gable and Crawford

Gable and Shearer

Gable and Gardner

On 2/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, GableLover said:

Gable and Leigh

Gable and Colbert

Gable and Harlow

Gable and Garson

Gable and Turner

Gable and Crawford

Gable and Shearer

Gable and Gardner

Gable and Garson probably had the least amount of heat.

Why not also mention Gable & Lombard..? They were married, made a movie together. And there was a 1976 biopic called GABLE AND LOMBARD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gable_and_Lombard

• Like 1

Were it not for Lombard (which certainly settles the matter definitively against this next opinion I'm about to utter...) I would've said Gable and Harlowe must have had the most sizzling on screen chemistry and maybe even in real life. They struck sparks off each other in things like 'China Seas' (my fave pairing). That flick is a riot.

"You big lug!" :lol:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Were it not for Lombard (which certainly settles the matter definitively against this next opinion I'm about to utter...) I would've said Gable and Harlowe must have had the most sizzling on screen chemistry and maybe even in real life. They struck sparks off each other in things like 'China Seas' (my fave pairing). That flick is a riot.

"You big lug!" :lol:

If one is taking about on-screen couples Gable \ Lombard fall flat.   While I enjoy No Man of Her Own,  made years before they were a couple,  they lack screen chemistry.  Gable and Harlow had it in spades!!! 

But off-screen Harlow was deeply in love with William Powell.    Gable????  Oh, that guy I make movies with!.  

(but Powell and Lombard had great chemistry on-and-off the screen,,,, but couldn't make marriage work).

• Like 1

Thanks for fielding that one JJG. I don't have enough familiarity with Gable / Lombard || on-screen pairings, I just assumed they did a good job.