Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Sad News for Judy's Family- Friends and Fans

9 posts in this topic

International newspapers report today that singer- actress Lorna Luft collapsed yesterday in London after a performance, only to be rushed to a hospital to receive a diagnosis of a brain tumor.

Judy's youngest daughter was performing in a London Club when she was noticeably ill and having difficulties remembering the lyrics. After the performance she collapsed backstage and was rushed to hospital.

Lorna, a victim of breast cancer, has had her cancer in remission for the last 6 years.

Lorna is still undergoing tests in London hospitals.

In addition to being a recording artist, she has appeared on Broadway, acted on television, and was featured in the movie Grease 2.

She was strong enough to fight cancer once. Hopefully she can do it again.

• Thanks 1

I used to look forward to seeing Lorna on the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon every year.  She was often  singing a medley of her mother songs.

She has such an unbelievably strong and commanding voice.

I read her family Memoir and I saw the TV movie that she produced from it.

But my Fondest Memories of Lorna is seeing her on Judy's old TV show when I was nearly the same age and thinking that she seemed to be a completely normal kid who had a lot of talent.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 4:10 AM, jakeem said:

...Liza Minnelli (born on March 12, 1946), the great second-generation performer who is only a competitive Grammy shy of becoming the 13th person to win all four major entertainment awards.

Related image

Related image
Time cover for February 28, 1972

Image result for time cover liza minnelli
Newsweek: February 25, 1972

Minnelli has won the following awards: 

• Academy Awards:
  1. 1972: Best Actress in a Leading Role ("Cabaret")
  • Emmy Awards:
  1. 1973: Outstanding Single Program − Variety and Popular Music ("Liza with a 'Z': A Concert for Television")
  • Grammy Awards:
  1. 1990: Special Grammy Award: Grammy Legend Award (non-competitive)
  • Tony Awards:
  1. 1965: Best Leading Actress in a Musical ("Flora the Red Menace")
  2. 1974: Special Tony Award for "adding lustre to the Broadway season" (non-competitive)
  3. 1978: Best Leading Actress in a Musical ("The Act")
  4. 2009: Best Special Theatrical Event (Liza's at The Palace...")

She was the daughter of two legendary entertainment figures. Her father -- the versatile director Vincente Minnelli -- filmed the Academy Award-winning pictures "An American in Paris" and "Gigi". Her mother was the dynamic singer and actress Judy Garland.

Related image

A young Liza made her first screen appearance during the finale of "In the Good Old Summertime" (1949), which starred Van Johnson and her mother.  

Related image

In 1963, the 17-year-old Minnelli shared the stage with her mother on an episode of the CBS variety series "The Judy Garland Show." A year later, they memorably performed together at the London Palladium. "We went through what women go through for years in literally two hours," Minnelli recalled in an interview for The New York Times. "It was like Mama suddenly realized I was good, that she didn't have to apologize for me. It was the strangest feeling. One minute I was on stage with my mother, the next moment I was on stage with Judy Garland. One minute she smiled at me, and the next minute she was like the lioness that owned the stage and suddenly found somebody invading her territory."

Related image

Minnelli won a 1965 Tony Award for her first Broadway musical -- "Flora the Red Menace." The music and lyrics were written by John Kander and Fred Ebb, who would collaborate with Minnelli on many other projects. She is pictured below with three other Tony winners: Walter Matthau ("The Odd Couple"), Irene Worth ("Tiny Alice") and Zero Mostel ("Fiddler on the Roof").  

Related image

Minnelli received her first Academy Award nomination as Best Actress for her performance in the 1969 drama "The Sterile Cuckoo." She played the eccentric college student Mary Ann "Pookie" Adams, who became involved with a uncolorful student (Wendell Burton) from a nearby school. Based on the 1965 novel by John Nichols, the film marked the directorial debut of Alan J. Pakula ("The Parallax View," "All the President's Men").

Related image

In Bob Fosse's 1972 film version of the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical "Cabaret," Minnelli starred as Sally Bowles -- an American free spirit performing at the Kit Kat Club in 1931 Berlin. The film followed her experiences in the German city as the Nazi regime began to take power in Germany. The picture featured songs by Ebb and Kander, including the title tune, "Willkommen (Welcome), "Mein Herr," "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" and "Money, Money."  

At the 45th Academy Awards ceremony on March 27, 1973, "Cabaret" won eight Academy Awards -- but lost Best Picture honors to "The Godfather." Among the musical's wins: Best Director (Fosse) and Best Actress (Minnelli). Joel Grey, who reprised his Tony Award-winning performance as the cabaret's master of ceremonies, was named Best Supporting Actor. 

Minnelli's 1972 NBC special "Liza with a 'Z': A Concert for Television" was another collaboration with Fosse and Kander and Ebb. At the 25th annual Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, they all won statuettes for their contributions. The special received four Emmys, including the one for Outstanding Single Program -- Variety and Popular Music.

Image result for liza minnelli liza with a z

In 1981, Minnelli co-starred with Dudley Moore in the hit comedy "Arthur" -- the tale of an alcoholic New York City millionaire and his search for love. Minnelli played the working class product who won his heart. The film was nominated for four Academy Awards: Best Actor (Moore), Best Supporting Actor (Sir John Gielgud), Best Original Screenplay (Steve Gordon) and Best Original Song ("Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" by  Burt Bacharach, Carole Bayer Sager, Christopher Cross and Peter Allen). Oscars went to Gielgud and the songwriters. Moore and Minnelli reprised their characters in a less successful 1988 sequel: "Arthur 2: On the Rocks."

Related image

In 2010, Minnelli sat down for a conversation about her career with Turner Classic Movies' Robert Osborne. She was candid about the subject of growing up as the daughter of Vincente Minnelli and Judy Garland. "It wasn't anything that was glamorous," she said. "It was just organized."

Image result for liza minnelli robert osborne

Lorna Luft -- Minnelli's younger sister and Garland's daughter from her marriage to the producer and impresario Sid Luft -- is a talented singer in her own right. During the past five years. the 65-year-old performer has battled cancer. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor after collapsing Friday night after a performance in London.

Image result for liza minnelli lorna luft images

Long Live Judy's Great Family Legacy of Great American Singers!

• Like 1

Lorna is great. She lent her pipes on many recordings for other artists, most notably the band Blondie. I love that she has successfully kept a quieter public profile than her sister.

Sending Lorna best wishes for good health.

• Like 2

So sad to hear! I hope the brain tumor isn't just metastasized from the breast cancer. I just hope her family is doing okay. If they have their grandmother/mother's strength, they will come through.  

• Like 1