MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

6,950 posts in this topic

Well, not quite---much of my own favorite music comes from the movies and mostly from classic era movies. But I'm curious what the rest of you like to listen to (which kind of music, what singers, bands, eras, etc.) and how and where do you listen most often? To paraphrase Addie Ross, Let the music play on...

humoresque82.jpeg

Thanks for posting this thread, MissG.

It'll take a while for me to compile a list and be even harder to keep it brief...

Here's a starter list of mostly movie related music I've copied and pasted from a PM I sent to someone here:

Annette Hanshaw! I'd recommend the "It was So Beautiful" cd of her's simply because they've done some rudimentary noise filtering on that one if for no other reason.

Betty Grable - The **** Girl Vol. 1 -

all songs taken from movie soundtracks - unlike today the studios didn't want their stars making records etc. Volume 2's from later in her career and just doesn't have that same personality and perk or such classic tunes as earlier in her career during the height of her popularity.

Betty Grable - Sweethearts of the Silver Screen -

from Collector's Choice Music - songs taken from a rare radio broadcast or broadcasts.

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers at RKO - 'nuff said.

Busby Berkeley at Warner Bros. - also from Rhino records -

great music from the early Busby Berkeley musicals.

Disc one from the Bing His Legendary years box set - his earlier music

thru 1936, I think - don't listen to this one much.

And a few soundtracks I can add right now:

"Forbidden Planet" Soundtrack - groundbreaking electronic sound effects music by Louis and Bebe Barron.

"The Power" Soundtrack by Mikl?s R?zsa, probably my all-time favorite soundtrack.

And of course The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Message was edited by: Snorky

Hi Jeff!

The Betty Grable music sounds like fun, so do the Busby Berkely tunes. The kind of music to cheer one up.

I don't think I've ever heard of The Power.

loverly idea for a thread big sis!!!

i love all kinds of music, mostly from my old movies as well as you. heehee!!

i especially love the swingin' band leaders from the thirties and forties like. i just got a few records of harry james, who i looooove! and i have lots of glenn milller records, artie shaw, benny goodman, dizzy gillespie, guy lombardo, les brown, kay kyser, louis armstrong, paul whitman, and all the other extraordinary bands.

i love julie andrews, josh groban, dinah shore, lena horne, dinah washington, linda eder, celine dion, nat king cole, and people who sing like that, although i know they all have their own style. heehee!

ButterScotch Theresa! you are amazing---I know all those artists by name but I'm not too familiar with most of their songs! That's so cool. Guy Lombardo and Les Brown? Marvelous.

As you know I love the "American Songbook" -- all the pop standards by Cole Porter, Berlin, the Gershwins, Johnny Mercer and my favorites, Rodgers & Hart and Cy Coleman. No matter who sings them, but most of all when it's *Francis* who's behind the mike. After that I like Nat "King" Cole ("Mona Lisa", "Nature Boy", "Blue Gardenia" ;) ), Dean Martin, der Bingle, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett ("The Shadow of Your Smile", "I Want to be Around") and Doris Day ("It's Magic", "Sentimental Journey"). But those are pretty well known, you know more about the hard-core performers than I do that's for sure. I don't even know who Josh Groban and Lina Eder are!

>The Betty Grable music sounds like fun, so do the Busby Berkely tunes.

>The kind of music to cheer one up.

Hi April!

That reminded me, I forgot to mention "The Carl Stalling Project" CD which has some of the "Looney Tunes" soundtrack music. It's been a while since I've listened to that.

Actually it was the Warner Bros. pit orchestra who did both the Busby Berkeley and the Looney Tunes music, if I'm not mistaken.

>I don't think I've ever heard of The Power.

The Power (1968) is directed by George Pal and stars George Hamilton & Suzanne Pleshette.

The movie looks and sounds great - boasting a modern 60's style and a haunting, unforgettable soundtrack by Mikl?s R?zsa.

It still seems to be available from Collector's Choice Music as

"Atlantis: The Lost Continent/ The Power".

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=FSM080022

It's taken from the original sountrack album master. Unfortunately that's all that survives of the original soundtrack.

I've had it on my DVD wantlist for some time now although they do air it occasionally on TCM.

ButterScotch Theresa! you are amazing---I know all those artists by name but I'm not too familiar with most of their songs! That's so cool. Guy Lombardo and Les Brown? Marvelous.

thank you april, but you are even more amazing!! heehee! yes my grandmama has a lot of records of Guy Lombardo, and i listen to all her records. heehee! i have lots of Les Brown songs on my compilation cds of big bands.

oh how could i forget??!!! i also looooooove eddy duchin's music. my grandmama also loves Eddy Duchin and Glenn Miller best along side Guy Lombardo, and that is where i inherited my love from them. ;)

Jose Iturbi is also a great genius piano player i love! i have all his movies and love listening to him!

let us not forget "Whatever Lola Wants" and "Put the Blame on Mame". heehee!

do you like jerome kern's music too? i love jerome kern!! i love "smoke gets in your eyes" and "ol' man river".

i also love strauss....oh how i love strauss. my favorite of his is,"on the beautiful blue danube". everytime i hear that playing, i see mr. and mrs. chips waltzing in that ballroom. (sighs heavily!!) heehee!

Hi, Thanks for posting the link!

Don't know if it's the same site but it's probably where I downloaded that clip in the past.

Just right-button menu click on the picture/ link and choose "save target as" to download.

It's Annette singing "We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye" from the film Captain Henry's Showboat(1933).

I highly recommend the "Annette Hanshaw - It Was So Beautiful: Her Last Recordings 1932-34" CD featuring Benny Goodman, Jimmy Dorsey, Manny Klein, Eddie Lang, Joe Venuti and Jack Teagarden.

Top band leaders of the day.

This CD has rather cheap cover art but the sound quality is far and above

any of the other Annette Hanshaw CDs.

They've done some kind of filtering to clean up all the noise.

It sounds fabulous by comparison to the others.

There is one techno glitch at the end of the last song though, but oh well.

Unbelievable that she never thought herself that talented

and retired from showbiz in 1935.

What a shame!

Hi Jeff---I love alot of the music from the sixties and I'm not even referring to rock-n-roll and I think there are several soundtracks from the era that deserve some kind of release or download availability. I will look out for *The Power* on TCM's schedule. There is a movie called *Hard Contract* from the late 'sixties that has a beautiful, jazzy score by Alex North which I wish was available somewhere.

i also looooooove eddy duchin's music. my grandmama also loves Eddy Duchin and Glenn Miller best along side Guy Lombardo, and that is where i inherited my love from them

Your Grandmother is the best! Your Grandfather sure was fortunate to marry her. :) The only Eddy Duchin I've ever heard is from the Tyrone Power movie, lol. I do love Glenn Miller---he and Artie Shaw are my favorites from the Big Bands. I also like Harry James and that horn. Also, he had a fair singer with his band for a minute. A skinny little baritone.

do you like jerome kern's music too? i love jerome kern!! i love "smoke gets in your eyes" and "ol' man river".

Are you kidding? He was perfection. What about Harold Arlen? My favorite by him? "Blues in the Night." My mama done told me...a man is a two face...a worrisome thing who'll drive you to sing the blues....in the night."

Hungarian-born composer Mikl?s R?zsa gave the score a strong Eastern European flavor that reminds me of gypsy music - combine that with a sense of the epic from a master of the genre.

As far as I know he did no other scores ever quite like this one!

They use a very unique musical instrument to it's fullest and I had to skim a few reviews at IMDb to learn exactly what it is. They do show it being played maybe at the beginning of the movie only(?) - I'm not sure but that seems the likely place.

It's a hammer dulcimer - I'm glad some reviewer knew what it was.

I haven't heard of Hard Contract - I'll have to watch for that one, thanks for the recommendation.

J

Whenever there is a discussion of the great music of this era, I once again drop in to let people know that there's a great hot jazz radio program that you can listen to each Saturday night in real time, or during the ensuing week online. The host is entertainingly informative and careful about accuracy. So here is my first drop-in of the year:

http://wamu.org/programs/hjsn/

He often plays Annette Hanshaw, which is what reminded me...

Thank you, Ayers! Sometimes I get sick of the internet radio program I listen to at work so this one might make a good alternative. :)

Your Grandmother is the best! Your Grandfather sure was fortunate to marry her. The only Eddy Duchin I've ever heard is from the Tyrone Power movie, lol. I do love Glenn Miller---he and Artie Shaw are my favorites from the Big Bands. I also like Harry James and that horn. Also, he had a fair singer with his band for a minute. A skinny little baritone.

yes she is the best!!! my grandpapa still is fortunate! heehee!

ever since i had seen the Eddy Duchin Story at her house, and she saw that i was so fascintaed with it, she gave me one of his cassette tapes of his music that she had, and then i got some of his records and cds and stuff. i just love him!

i love when junie allyson sings "the young man with a horn" while harry james is playing along side her in Two Girls and a Sailor!!! i love his version of the "flight of the bumblebee". boy he can really swing it!! i remember the skinny little baritone! heehee!

Are you kidding? He was perfection. What about Harold Arlen? My favorite by him? "Blues in the Night." My mama done told me...a man is a two face...a worrisome thing who'll drive you to sing the blues....in the night."

yes my sentiments exactly april!! i love all harold arlen's music too! i have a recording of barbra streisand singing a song with harold arlen."blues in the night"!!!!!! oh my goodness! this is too good! i love that one!

how about the gershwins?

Hi Miss Chicken Soup Tea!

I love the Gershwins, of course! S'wonderful...s'marvelous...

And Sammy Cahn, who wrote so many standards---and Harry Warren!

My Top Five Favorite Songs of All Time (at the moment):

1. The Shadow of Your Smile (Johnny Mandel/Paul Francis Webster)*

2. Violets for Your Furs (Matt Dennis)*

3. The Lady is a Tramp (Rodgers/Hart)

4. The Best is Yet to Come (Cy Coleman)

5. Djinji (Antonio Carlos Jobim)

What are yours?

*The top two are interchangeable.

chicken soup!! aaaaaahh! its gonna come out my nose soon! heehee!

i love the gershwins of course, i love every song they have ever written. i dont think i have ever come across a song of theirs i didnt like.

rosalie, my darling, rosalie dont decline

wow! how could you even make a top 5 list of favorite songs? i have so many cramed into my little head, it is hard to dig around to find my favorites....i love so many!!!! heehee! okay for your sake ill try......at the moment, itll probably change within a week or so:

1.You'll Never Know(harry warren)

2.Margie(b. davis, j. r. robinson, c. conrad)

3.Angel Eyes(e. brent, m. dennis)

4.The Most Beautiful Girl in the World( r. rodgers, l. hart) i could listen to stephen boyd singing this all day!!!

5.Gimme Gimme(j. tesori, d. scanlan)

6.Silent Movie(n. bedingfield, g. chambers) the hay stack song, it reminds me of Doomsday, the hay stack romantic scene. SIGHS!!!!

i have so many other songs in my head that i love though....we could always spend the whole thread telling each other all the songs we love......wait a minute, that might take a while. heehee!

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

Hi Tea Soup!

I like your list. I see a Matt Dennis song there, too ("Angel Eyes"). It was hard to make that list, I could go on and on, like you said. In fact, I will!

Top 5 Songs from a Movie:

1. The Shadow of Your Smile (The Sandpiper)

2. Ride Away (The Searchers)

3. Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

4. Laura

5. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Play Misty for Me)

Top 5 Soundtracks:

1. Out of Africa

2. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

3. Doctor Zhivago

4. Gone with the Wind

5. The Tamarind Seed

Your turn! :)

youre doing that on purpose!!! heehee!

yes i love Angel Eyes!....especially frankie sinatra's version. :)

do you only have to put down 5? goodness youre torture!!!

songs from movies

1.Moon River

2.Whatever Lola Wants(i cant believe you didnt put that one!)

3.The Way We Were

4.The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face(i looove that one too)

5.Look For the Silver Lining

soundtracks

1.Out of Africa(i loooooove this one also. it seems we both have the same taste in music!)

2.Funny Girl

3.Tamarind Seed

4.Ramona(still trying to find this)

5.Pride and Prejudice(the new one, i dont like it, but i love the music in it)

6.Just Like Heaven

[/u]broadway soundtracks[/u]

1.Mame

2.Anything Goes

3.Thoroughly Modern Millie

4.Suger Babies

5.Les Miserables

6. Phantom of the Opera

your toin! heehee!

Ha! I know it's too tough to limit it to just five so you can make it ten if you want.

The Broadway tunes were a great addition!

My Top 5 Broadway Show Tunes

1. "This Nearly Was Mine" (South Pacific)

2. "I Could Have Danced All Night" (My Fair Lady)

3. "Night and Day" (and all the Cole Porter show tunes)

4. "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" (Pal Joey)

5. "Isn't It Romantic?"

Hi Goddess,

Your mention of Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

reminded of a few movie/TV themes I used to like:

"Brian's Song" - title song

"A Time For Us - Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet"

"Nadia's Theme" - from the TV show The Young and the Restless.

And a couple Percy Faith tunes:

"Song from the Moulin Rouge" (1953) and "Theme from A Summer Place" (1960).

Jeff

I don't recall what "Brian's Song" sounds like but those others are beautiful choices. I will add Henry Mancini's gorgeous music for the miniseries, The Thorn Birds.

great list, i love those songs!!!

yeah well i loove my broadway show tunes. i know you do too! ;)

1.Everything's Coming Up Roses(gypsy)

2.Blow Gabriel Blow(anything goes)

3.I've Dreamed a Dream(les miserables)

4.America(west side story)

5.I'm Falling in Love with Someone(thoroughly modern millie)

6.In My Own Little Corner(julie andrew's cinderella)

7.Miss Marmelstein(i can get it for you wholesale)

8.a Little Priest(sweeney todd)

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

I can't quite remember how it goes at the moment either.

I never watched The Thorn Birds although I remember my parents watching it.

I looked it up at IMDb for the year - 1983 and was suprised to see that beside Christopher Plummer, Barbara Stanwyck and Jean Simmons also starred or co-starred in it.

I imagine there's a few more Henry Mancini themes that could be added to the list.

Pink Panther...

hey jeff!!!!

you have such great taste at music!!!

i love the pink panther music too!!! i have many henry mancini records too and his music from the movies. i love listening to all of it!!