MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

6,605 posts in this topic

I don't recall ever hearing that tune anywhere back then, Dark.  The MILLS BROTHERS weren't exactly commonplace fare on any radio stations I listened to back then is probably why.

But, my best friend's Dad once played an old INK SPOTS record he had for us and I took to a song of there's called "Doughnuts".---

"DOUGHNUTS!

"Hey, Diddle diddle"----

"I wish I had me some dough---nuts,"

"The kind with the hole in the middle!"  :)

Sepiatone

I don't recall ever hearing that tune anywhere back then, Dark.  The MILLS BROTHERS weren't exactly commonplace fare on any radio stations I listened to back then is probably why.

It was all over Top 40 radio back then.

It spent about 10 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #23 on April 6. On Canada's National RPM Charts it peaked at #28 on April 13..

And on Toronto's prestigious CHUM Chart it made it to #10 on March 25 and held that position for 2 weeks before beginning its descent.

Very much an "out-of-fashion" hit for 1968, but a reasonable-sized hit it was. Terrific song, don't you think? Very singable.

I fondly remember the time The Plasmatics visited Gil Fisher on 'The Fishin' Musician' back when SCTV was on the air.

• Like 2

Back when I was - oh, about 12...maybe 13 - I saw this British movie musical at the local theatre called 'Wonderful to Be Young'. It starred the Brits' answer to Elvis - Cliff Richard. The title song is, after all these years, still my favorite Cliff Richard song.

Here's the 45 rpm version that charted.

Going through the car wash the other day and this

song came on the radio. Had to turn it up to 11.

• Like 1

Going through the car wash the other day and this

song came on the radio. Had to turn it up to 11.

You stay in your car while going through the car wash? In my experience, you got out.

You stay in your car while going through the car wash? In my experience, you got out.

It's one of those automatic car washes, no

human contact necessary, except for the driver.

There are two close to me. One, you get out and watch your car go through. The other, you stay in your car while it's going through - they give you a damp rag to wipe down your interior while the outside is being auto-scrubbed.

When my daughter was very little, she got all perturbed by the brushes and soap churning at the windows outside the car.

There are two close to me. One, you get out and watch your car go through. The other, you stay in your car while it's going through - they give you a damp rag to wipe down your interior while the outside is being auto-scrubbed.

When my daughter as very little, she got all perturbed by the brushes and soap churning at the windows outside the car.

I was the opposite of your daughter.When I was little ( and even not so little, I got a kick out of this even as a teenager), when I'd hear my dad was taking the car to the car wash, I'd ask to go along. I loved it ! I remember being delighted by all the scrubbing,the brushes automatically squirting suds all over the windows (closed, of course), the rinsing spray, and the way the car slowly moved along the whole process. It was like a ride at the midway of the CNE !

Anyway, the following has nothing to do with the above. I was 12 when this song came out. I really liked it, but I had no idea it was about people getting stoned at a party. In fact, I used to wonder what the hell the guy was talking about. (Was this naive or just dumb?) The fine songwriter Randy Newman is responsible for this, but I like the 3 Dog Night version best.

Now I have to go put some whisky in my water.

• Like 1

I'm talking very little. Like one year old, maybe one and a half.

By two she was fine with it.

I hope, when she got older, that you warned her not to go to any weird parties. ("Papa told me not to come.....")

My daughter, at the age of four, was afraid of fireworks - I think it was the loud sound. She'd run away when that booming fireworks sound hit the air. The pretty sparkles in the sky didn't seem to console her - she was scared.

She's twenty-six now, and probably over it.

I was the opposite of your daughter.When I was little ( and even not so little, I got a kick out of this even as a teenager), when I'd hear my dad was taking 

Anyway, the following has nothing to do with the above. I was 12 when this song came out. I really liked it, but I had no idea it was about people getting stoned at a party. In fact, I used to wonder what the hell the guy was talking about. (Was this naive or just dumb?) The fine songwriter Randy Newman is responsible for this, but I like the 3 Dog Night version best.

This song brings back such memories, Miss W, especially of one wild party that ended with police, furious parents, and lots of kids sleeping it off the next day.  Who knew downers could be so potent?!  Funny how this song brings me right back to that crazy time.

• Like 1

I was the opposite of your daughter.When I was little ( and even not so little, I got a kick out of this even as a teenager), when I'd hear my dad was taking the car to the car wash, I'd ask to go along. I loved it ! I remember being delighted by all the scrubbing,the brushes automatically squirting suds all over the windows (closed, of course), the rinsing spray, and the way the car slowly moved along the whole process. It was like a ride at the midway of the CNE !

Whenever I hear the song "Mama Told Me Not To Come"  I think of the movie BOOGIE NIGHTS.

• Like 1

Whenever I hear the song "Mama Told Me Not To Come"  I think of the movie BOOGIE NIGHTS.

Yeah, Boogie Nights. I'd forgotten about that movie. It was pretty darn good, I'd like to see it again. Paul Thomas Anderson is always interesting.  Thanks for the reminder, Holden.

Vautrin: Ah, "Automatic for the People". Love every track. And Find the River is one of the best; there's something so moving about this song. Nice video.

Whenever I hear the song "Mama Told Me Not To Come" I think of the movie BOOGIE NIGHTS.

Eric Burdon did a terrific version of that song Mama Told Me Not to Come - -

I love that song it really reminds me of my college days.

Vautrin: Ah, "Automatic for the People". Love every track. And Find the River is one of the best; there's something so moving about this song. Nice video.

I have most of R.E.M.'s albums, though not every one, and

Automatic for the People is my favorite. And Find the River

is very affecting, with a touch of melancholy running through it.

• Like 1