MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

6,605 posts in this topic

Oh, MultiEye, MultiEye....another case of an embarrassment of riches. All these guys are great. Who doesn't like Johnny Cash, Jack White, or Son House?  (kudos on that last, takes a real blues enthusiast to know about him...)

But the musical feast is too much, the plate's too full, and we don't get a digital doggie bag to take the excess away with us.

I'd rather concentrate on ONE of those inventive, authentic, talented musicians you posted here, one at a time. Maybe it's some kind of limitation on my brain or my ears or just how long I'm willing to spend on this thread, but I just can't help thinking that ten tunes in a row is too rich an offering for my single-minded aural attention.

I think maybe there are other websites where you can and do post a long selection like this, so you're used to it. 

Now having blathered on about this for a few paragraphs, I should say that of course there are no rules on this site or this thread about how many music selections you can post. And it would be obnoxious and officious of me to say there are, or even that there should be.

It's not about "rules" - rules like that would take away the fun of sharing our music favourites here. Nobody wants that. It's more about, maybe, a little restraint. I don't come to this thread to listen to 10 or 20 different tunes all in a row, I come here to hear one or two tunes that other people here like or have been thinking about or for whatever reason want to share.  If I wanted to listen to  over half an hour's worth of music all in one go, I'd just throw on a CD. When I come here, I just want a little bit of someone else's music love. A taste, not a feast.

Sorry if this does sound obnoxious and / or officious. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just giving you my take on the posting of so many tunes all at once. 

All that said, all the tunes you shared here were good ones.

db, I'd never heard of Kate Nash. I like that song. I also like the album cover image. It reminded me of a picture my daughter was always drawing when she was a little girl, of a house like the one in the Kate Nash cover, with flowers and a winding path leading up to it. (But the topiary is a little spooky, a little reminiscent of "The Shining"...)

I also like the way you can so hear that English accent. I enjoy hearing accents in singing. It's funny how sometimes you can really discern these accents, and other times, not at all. Guess it depends on the singer. Or maybe the production, I don't know.

Anyway, nice little tune.

MultiEye, about The Third Man:  One of my favourite movies. The trailer for the restored version you posted reminded me of what a beautiful film it is, of how evocative and atmospheric black and white cinematography can be.

Annoyingly, and for reasons that I don't understand, when TCM airs The Third Man, it's blocked in Canada. I don't get to see it. I've also tried ordering it, but haven't gotten anywhere with that either. This "rights" business is arcane and infuriating.

I know some people say they find that "Third Man Theme" irritating, but I don't agree with them. I think it's a perfect fit for this unusual film.

• Like 3

MultiEye, about The Third Man:  One of my favourite movies. The trailer for the restored version you posted reminded me of what a beautiful film it is, of how evocative and atmospheric black and white cinematography can be.

Annoyingly, and for reasons that I don't understand, when TCM airs The Third Man, it's blocked in Canada. I don't get to see it. I've also tried ordering it, but haven't gotten anywhere with that either. This "rights" business is arcane and infuriating.

I know some people say they find that "Third Man Theme" irritating, but I don't agree with them. I think it's a perfect fit for this unusual film.

It's a great film. The Criterion did the best job, but unfortunately it's out of print, so the asking price for it is ridiculous. The only way to watch it is the current restored, because it brings new life to it. Almost modernizes it, & makes it more enjoyable. I love the music & I can't imagine anyone not liking the theme, the intelligent people like & appreciate it & that's all that matters.

• Like 1

Here's a silly, fun, pop song that shirley brings a smile to everyone who hears it. I was inspired to post it after hearing about some post-Trump victor complaining about the students who were protesting his win. Some rumour about one college bringing in ponies to comfort them? (What is this, an early Seinfeld episode? Ponies? )

Anyway, apparently the Trump supporter, unsympathetic to the students' distress, told them to "Suck it up,Buttercup."

That's right, boys and girls, we're talkin' that irresistible Foundations hit, "Build Me Up, Buttercup". Somehow I suspect the guys in the Foundations would not be amused. What-evah. Get up and dance.

(Oh, yeah, and let's not forget the very effective use of this same song in "There's Something About Mary". )

not sure why it's out of sync. sorry about that.

• Like 2

Giving Thanks.  

Sam and Dave and Soul Survivors -- I Thank You

I give thanks for musicians like Sam and Dave, and Sly and the Family Stone. Dance to the music all night long.

• Like 2

Here's a silly, fun, pop song that shirley brings a smile to everyone who hears it. I was inspired to post it after hearing about some post-Trump victor complaining about the students who were protesting his win. Some rumour about one college bringing in ponies to comfort them? (What is this, an early Seinfeld episode? Ponies? )

Anyway, apparently the Trump supporter, unsympathetic to the students' distress, told them to "Suck it up,Buttercup."

That's right, boys and girls, we're talkin' that irresistible Foundations hit, "Build Me Up, Buttercup". Somehow I suspect the guys in the Foundations would not be amused. What-evah. Get up and dance.

Ponies!  Oh, my.  At a college near me it's "safe spaces," coloring books, and therapy dogs.  Wish such things had been around when McGovern lost to Nixon in 1972.  A friend was so traumatized by the outcome he never voted again.

Haven't heard this in ages.   It really takes me down memory lane.   And how attentive and polite the audience was!

• Like 1

Ok, it's December 3rd, so I feel it's now acceptable to post Christmas songs. Here be the first on this thread for Xmas 2016  (I think.) Actually, it's more about winter than it is about Christmas, but maybe that's a good thing. 

I think this tune has a "friendly" sound to it - maybe it's the upbeat melody, maybe it's the clarinet.

• Like 2

R.I.P. Greg Lake - Just six months ago we lost Keith Emerson, and now Greg Lake is gone, leaving only drummer Carl Palmer.

Maybe they're leaving in order of billing. I saw ELP in the

early 1970s. Don't recall too much about it. Lake did have

a wonderful voice.

• Like 1

Too bad about Greg Lake - and of course, Keith Emerson (earlier this year.) Yup, a lot of these old rockers are falling thick and fast. Sorry if that sounds disrespectful, I don't mean to be. I've been saddened quite a few times this year by the passing of legendary musicians. 2016 was a bad year for them.

Moving on...more Xmas music. Like almost everyone, I love the soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas". So jazzy, so hummable, so perfect for that kids' show about the sad little Christmas tree (among other things.)

This is one of my favourite tracks from the Vince Guaraldi score. Some prefer the more well-known "Linus and Lucy" - the other tune where the kids are all dancing. But "Christmas is Coming" is what does it for me. I can never get enough of that cymbal, the low piano notes, and those snappy pauses. Go, Linus, Pig Pen, et al.

• Like 1

On the Canadian music thread (thank you, db, for starting that), there's a bit of a discussion about Gordon Lightfoot, and what a good songwriter he was (is.)

Here's an exquisitely beautiful rendition of a G.L. song, by another Canadian, Sarah McLachlan. I love the why she softly repeats the last word of every line. The whole thing comes dangerously close to bathos, but it's such a lovely song to begin with, and Sarah has the class to take her version safely over the line to genuine emotion ( as opposed to sentimentality.) 

Also, given the description of the cold dark winter's night, it's almost Christmassy. 

blahblah. I shouldn't talk so much.

• Like 1

Too bad about Greg Lake - and of course, Keith Emerson (earlier this year.) Yup, a lot of these old rockers are falling thick and fast. Sorry if that sounds disrespectful, I don't mean to be. I've been saddened quite a few times this year by the passing of legendary musicians. 2016 was a bad year for them.

Moving on...more Xmas music. Like almost everyone, I love the soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas". So jazzy, so hummable, so perfect for that kids' show about the sad little Christmas tree (among other things.)

This is one of my favourite tracks from the Vince Guaraldi score. Some prefer the more well-known "Linus and Lucy" - the other tune where the kids are all dancing. But "Christmas is Coming" is what does it for me. I can never get enough of that cymbal, the low piano notes, and those snappy pauses. Go, Linus, Pig Pen, et al.

Funny, just coming from YouTube with one of my favorites, "Christmas Time is Here."  The soundtrack is brilliant, joyous and delicate.  For me it's not Christmas without "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

• Like 2

Ok, it's December 3rd, so I feel it's now acceptable to post Christmas songs. Here be the first on this thread for Xmas 2016  (I think.) Actually, it's more about winter than it is about Christmas, but maybe that's a good thing. 

I think this tune has a "friendly" sound to it - maybe it's the upbeat melody, maybe it's the clarinet.

Had never heard this, what a lovely tune.  Oh, that Artie.  And what a charming  illustration!

• Like 1

George was so striking back in the 'All Things' day.

Reminded me of Rasputin.

Odd, I'd been thinking of "Beware of Darkness," maybe because I'd gotten the album as a present that Christmas.  "Wah Wah" and this are two favorites, though wasn't it truly packed with gems.  Here it is from The Concert for Bangladesh, featuring the late Leon Russell.  And yes, George sure was cute.

• Like 1

R.I.P.  George Michael

I was never much of a fan, although I liked this video. He was a talented vocalist, and one of the biggest stars of the 1980's.

RIP George Michael.  That one came out of the blue.

"...I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm..." 

I really like the saxophone part of this song and George Michael had a great voice.

The Seether cover of this song is excellent too. 

• Like 3