MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

6,605 posts in this topic

RIP George Michael.  That one came out of the blue.

"...I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm..." 

I really like the saxophone part of this song and George Michael had a great voice.

The Seether cover of this song is excellent too. 

My sister commented on "...guilty feet have got no rhythm" the other night.  Such an unusual, wonderful lyric. She's in Greece and said there's a lot of sadness for him there.

Here's one of my favorite Wham! songs, "Young Guns (Go For it)."

The 19-year-old George Michael has so much charisma and confidence in this clip. 

"If you're happy with a nappy, then you're in for fun . . ."

Just saw on the news that two members of Tower of Power were injured by a train when walking from their hotel to a gig.  Hope they'll both make a full recovery.  I've always loved this one:

Just saw on the news that two members of Tower of Power were injured by a train when walking from their hotel to a gig.  Hope they'll both make a full recovery.  I've always loved this one:

GD, thanks for reminding me of this song. I remember it well.

Unfortunately, for some reason all I get from your link is "This video is not available." I don't even know if it means "not available IN CANADA", or, not available AT ALL.

No matter. I found a version on  youtube that was available. Very soulful.

I love this song. All god-like beings and magic and mandolin. Sandy Denny and Robert Plant made a great singing team.

Sing along in Spanish, if you like.

• Like 1

GD, thanks for reminding me of this song. I remember it well.

Unfortunately, for some reason all I get from your link is "This video is not available." I don't even know if it means "not available IN CANADA", or, not available AT ALL.

No matter. I found a version on  youtube that was available. Very soulful.

It just played for me, so maybe it's a Canadian thing?  Some sort of rights issue maybe?  But yes, oozing with soul.

I love this song. All god-like beings and magic and mandolin. Sandy Denny and Robert Plant made a great singing team.

Sing along in Spanish, if you like.

This song always transports me--hadn't heard with Sandy Denny.  Their voices really mesh beautifully.  Had to turn the volume to low as Robert Plant's dulcet tones make my cat's ears twitch like crazy.

• Like 1

While strolling around a shopping center today I heard lovely sounds emanating from a flower bed.  On closer inspection a purply-blue snapdragon appeared to be the chanteuse.  Apparently it's a little known fact* that snapdragons are quite versatile singers, often enjoying impromptu public performances for unsuspecting passers-by.  Who knew?  And a favorite of mine to boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wBxz1oI8A

*Tip of the hat to MissWonderly

• Like 1

Listening to lots of J. GEILS BAND albums lately; the ones issued by Atlantic from 1970-77. 

I esp. like "NIGHTMARES . . . And Other Tales from the Vinyl Jungle".  A 1974 release. 

Also listening to the 1975 album "Searchin' For A Rainbow" by The Marshall Tucker Band. 

Listening to lots of J. GEILS BAND albums lately; the ones issued by Atlantic from 1970-77. 

I esp. like "NIGHTMARES . . . And Other Tales from the Vinyl Jungle".  A 1974 release. 

Also listening to the 1975 album "Searchin' For A Rainbow" by The Marshall Tucker Band. 

Despite their (relative) fame, I'm not very familiar with the J. Geils Band. I've certainly heard a lot about them, so maybe it's time I checked out their music. I'll start with "Nightmares".

I don't know what to say about this song. It's almost embarrassing, it's so intense and intimate. It's like some paen to ....I don't even know what. The singer and musicians together take this music to some other level, as though they're seeking to attain some other state. That's how I hear it, anyway.  And the lyrics are as mystical as the music.  They must have been listening to Van Morrison.

I dunno, maybe the embarrassing part is me going on this way. but I love this song. A little bit of ecstasy, the non-drug kind.

• Like 2

I don't know what to say about this song. It's almost embarrassing, it's so intense and intimate. It's like some paen to ....I don't even know what. The singer and musicians together take this music to some other level, as though they're seeking to attain some other state. That's how I hear it, anyway.  And the lyrics are as mystical as the music.  They must have been listening to Van Morrison.

I dunno, maybe the embarrassing part is me going on this way. but I love this song. A little bit of ecstasy, the non-drug kind.

That there is the kind of track that sometimes, when I'd be lying on my back with eyes closed and stoned on some good indica, might serve to cause the sensation of floating upward - an astral-travel kind of thing.

But the ending of the track might propel me into sleepy byes. I'd prefer a less somnolent finish so as to keep on trippin'.

• Like 1

It's interesting to compare great artists' versions of  great songs.  "All of Me" is one of those songs covered by many singers. Here are two of the best.

Billie Holiday:

Frank Sinatra:

Which  do you like better? I think they're both equally good, just different.

edit: I just found out, posting this, that there's another song called "All of Me", by John Legend. Shows how out-of-it I am, I hadn't even heard of this one. But I listened to it carefully, and, sorry John Legend fans, it's not as good a song as the 1931 composition by the same name.

• Like 1

It's interesting to compare great artists' versions of  great songs.  "All of Me" is one of those songs covered by many singers. Here are two of the best.

Billie Holiday: Frank Sinatra: Which  do you like better? I think they're both equally good, just different.

Most definitely Billie's version. Frank's take is swing jazz - fun. But it's a song of longing, so it doesn't really feel right. He utilizes that slightly off-synch phrasing as well, which he'd do as his personal style, but I don't care for the effect in this particular song.

Billie's take is, unsurprisingly, blues jazz. A little morose, but closer to the song's emotional meaning. Billie doesn't just sing a song; she cries a song. 

When I sing "All of Me", this is the version that I reference. American Song Book inspired, roots music country style - definitely my favorite version of all the ones I've heard:

• Like 1

Fascinating to hear three such different, and good, versions.  I can't choose.  Billie's is the one to listen to when you're feeling low, maybe during or after a devastating love affair, while the other two are clearly more upbeat.  

Don't know the John Legend version, but suspect it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Saw Blowup tonight.  Each time I watch for different, small things I might have missed in past viewings.  This time I focused on Jeff Beck playing his guitar which led to googling his musical background.  I learned that at age 6 he heard How High the Moon on the radio and decided he wanted to play guitar like Les Paul.  Who can blame him?

• Like 2

I got a Bobby Darin Greatest Hits album a couple weeks ago and love it.  Lately though, I cannot get enough of "Dream Lover."  I had heard this song before, but only randomly when it'd pop up on Pandora or something.  In the context of all of Darin's other songs, I really love it.  It's one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Looks like we're all going in different directions here this week. But hey, that's ok - this thread is nothing if not eclectic. I like Bobby Darin  (speedy, have you seen the Kevin Spacey biopic about him?), and that Jay and the Americans tune was pretty darn good.

But I've had tunes from Paul Simon's "Graceland" going through my head lately. Here's one of the catchiest from that classic record. It's so light and breezy and catchy. When the intro chanting part seques into that opening guitar bit, my ears zing with pleasure, that guitar bit is so pretty. I wish I had diamonds on the soles of my shoes.

• Like 2

Saw Blowup tonight.  Each time I watch for different, small things I might have missed in past viewings.  This time I focused on Jeff Beck playing his guitar which led to googling his musical background.  I learned that at age 6 he heard How High the Moon on the radio and decided he wanted to play guitar like Les Paul.  Who can blame him?

G.D.  my friend !  I always enjoy your contributions here so much !

Believe it or not,I used to have a cassette tape of Les Paul and Mary Ford  ("The Hits of..." or something like that.) Remember cassette tapes? My husband gave it to me, years ago, after a conversation we had about who invented the electric guitar. I remember I loved "How High the Moon".  My favourite part is around when, just after Les Paul's little solo, Mary's voice kind of soars - I think it's around 1:11 on the video you posted.  Fun song.

• Like 1