MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

6,949 posts in this topic

Yet another musician gone too soon, Tom Petty at age 66.  Hard to choose a song, but this has always been a favorite.  I like how he had smiles or cute exchanges with the Heartbreakers.

Tom Petty, 1950 - 2017.

• Like 3

Tom Petty was one of my favorites.  So hard to believe he's gone and just so randomly.  It's not like we'd heard that he'd been ill or had open heart surgery or he was in his 90s or something.  

This one was one of my (many) favorite Tom Petty songs.

• Like 3

Tom Petty was one of my favorites.  So hard to believe he's gone and just so randomly.  It's not like we'd heard that he'd been ill or had open heart surgery or he was in his 90s or something.  

As I stated elsewhere, I read Petty's biography last year, and it revealed a lot more about him than I ever knew. When he went to California in the mid-70's, cocaine was the big drug of choice, and they all snorted mountains of it. Petty reputedly never developed a real problem with it (unlike his close friend Stevie Nicks), and made it through that era relatively unscathed. 

However, and this was very surprising to me, he later developed a severe heroin problem after a series of personal problem led him to bad bouts of depression. Many of his friends and bandmates thought that he would be dead sooner rather than later, it was that bad. And this was relatively late in life, after the release of the very successful Greatest Hits album in 1993 and the solo album Wildflowers in 1994 and his divorce from his first wife in 1996. He was apparently a complete wreck when they recorded the Echo album in 98-99. Here's a video from that time:

He eventually got clean, partly thanks to his second wife, but you can tell from pictures that this period put a toll on his health. He also started gaining weight after being a beanpole most of his life, and that puts a strain on an already weakened heart. So while I was very saddened by his death, and I wasn't expecting it, it's not too great of a surprise. There was a lot of living in those 66 years.

George Harrison also helped Petty through those rough times and became his best friend.

I love the song "Learning to Fly" and that video clip.    Also, "here comes my girl" is a great song and video - I love the way Petty shouts with his booming voice and then changes tempo to sing softly.   

He was one of the best singer/songwriters - certainly one of my favorites.   He had a great stage presence too - charisma....loved his hair and the clothes - he was a cool looking guy.

I liked a lot of his songs - refugee, free fallin', American Girl, Runnin Down a Dream, I won't back down, Don't do me like that.....and I think one of my favorites is "The Waiting"....but who can really pick a "favorite"?  The guy never made a bad song.    He was tops in my book.  I'm heartbroken that he is gone.

I also like the duet with Stevie Nicks - Stop Draggin My Heart.   I liked the video - only because of Petty.

Also - I'm surprised there isn't more coverage and specials on him on tv.    He was one of the biggest rock legends EVER.

• Like 1

'Here Comes My Girl' was the song that propelled me to purchase my first Tom Petty album.

Also - I'm surprised there isn't more coverage and specials on him on tv.    He was one of the biggest rock legends EVER.

Did you happen to see the clip of a football stadium of people in his native Florida singing along to "I Won't Back Down?"  Very moving tribute.

Loved, loved, LOVED Tom Petty.  Great guy.    I will miss him.   A true legend.   I also liked him on Traveling Wilburys - if anyone can post "End of the Line" video.  I love when Tom Petty wears that hat.   He was something special.

I wish they'd have some tributes to him on tv.  I don't see a thing...anyone know of any specials on him?

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, Vautrin said:

The superest 5-man super group of all time.

Roy was the crowning touch, and when his turn comes ("even when push comes to shove") the song becomes something even greater than it was. His absence from the video is heartbreaking.

Thank you for the End of the Line video.  I love Traveling Wilburys...and Tom Petty - had that star quality.  He was one of a kind.   Loved his voice and his style.....great person.

You're welcome. That first Wilburys' album was superb,

lots of great songs with everyone pitching in, including

the youngest Wilbury. 

The superest 5-man super group of all time.

Roy was the crowning touch, and when his turn comes ("even when push comes to shove") the song becomes something even greater than it was. His absence from the video is heartbreaking.

Yep, hard to beat that pedigree, and it worked out very well.

I had forgotten the chronology. Roy passed just a few months

after the album came out. A nice final touch in addition to all

his wonderful solo material.

There is another song from Traveling Wilburys that is good called Handle With Care.  Mostly sung by Orbison, but the others also sing on it too.   Petty looked so cool with that hat on his head.   There was something very unique and special about him.    I loved his voice.  I miss him.

When I was a young man of 19 - in 1969 - I came into this LP that had been a promotional dj copy. I must have listened to it about 300 times the first year I had it - always at night, in bed. Except for the sound collage track 5 (called 'War Games', which I always skip) I absolutely loved the other 9 songs. It's The Lovin' Spoonful's final album 'Revelation: Revolution '69'

Here's what allmusicguide has to say about it:

Just when everybody had written them off after John Sebastian's departure, this flawed gem came out of left field. Joe Butler's smooth voice had graced a few tracks on all of the band's previous LP's, in addition to having a few of his own tunes included. He comes into his own here, but unfortunately, his three originals are the weakest songs on the LP, especially the ultra-hip sound collage 'War Games'. However, the great pop team of Bonner and Gordon came up with three strong tunes, including the hit 'Me About You' (previously done by The Turtles) and the fine 'Till I Run with You', with John Stewart providing the best track, the gorgeous 'Never Going Back'.

My personal favorite track was the album closer - track 10 - 'Words'.

This is the remastered CD which has bonus tracks after track 10 - two alternate versions of 'Revelation: Revolution '69', which is track 8 on the original LP and an alternate version of 'Me About You' which is track 9 on the original LP. None of these alternates improves on the album versions, so I'll not be springing for the remastered CD.

This album had always been difficult to get. I finally located a CD of it from Japan about 10 years ago.

You may want to skip over track 5, but I recommend the other 9 tracks highly. In fact, I'm very sentimental towards them. Ahh, for my flower power days. Bonus tracks 11, 12 and 13 are also unnecessary - just inferior versions of songs already heard.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Halloween.  About half an hour left here, so perfect time for almost

3 hours of "Ghost Riders in the Storm," with an eclectic cast of characters.  A local radio radio station played

a few hours of versions one Halloween night, and I was hooked.  A new tradition.  Anyone have a favorite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ng33Pi_Pg

R.I.P. Chuck Mosley (vocalist, Faith No More). I prefer the band's music after Mosley left and was replaced by Mike Patton, but I enjoyed the band's first hit "We Care A Lot", a humorous swipe at 1980's activism. Condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 2

Tonight on the phone my 90-something father was up in arms about the American Music Awards.  "All dreck!" I think he said.  After two ! hours of it he had to turn to something else.  I couldn't watch it either, and went to YouTube to cleanse the palate by listening to rock 'n' roll.  Found this duet of Rebel Yell with Billy Idol and Miley Cyrus.  She could really be a badass rock chick if she wanted.  We need some!

7 hours ago, TheGayDivorcee said:

Tonight on the phone my 90-something father was up in arms about the American Music Awards.  "All dreck!" I think he said.  After two ! hours of it he had to turn to something else.  I couldn't watch it either

It's absolute garbage. 

I hate it but feel like an old cretin if I say so. Millennials seem to dig it so.