MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

6,605 posts in this topic

If you're going to wander about into this trail you have to list your favorite music, Mr. Grimes. :P

So it's a trap. Do you want me to list my top five Broadway tunes, my favorite Frankie the Crooner songs, or my least favorite film scores (Gone with the Wind)?

yeah what april said frankie. heehee!

Who's April and what did the snippy old maid say?

april i think we are putting him on the spot....thats okay he needs this every once in a while. its good for him.

Every once in awhile? Right.

Now that's how tea should taste! And the after effects are splendid! Be sure you have some, Theresa, before Greer and Walter drink it all up! oops! The Transylvanian is here now there won't be any left!

B-A-D influence. And which two dames have downed six and five cups of tea already today? Your little bladders don't have a chance.

Pardon me, but I must step aside to compare and contrast Ingrid Bergman's make-up in Under Capricorn with Grace Kelly's in Dial 'M' for Murder. :P

Do you want me to list my top five Broadway tunes, my favorite Frankie the Crooner songs, or my least favorite film scores (A Clockwork Orange)?

In a word, yes!

Do you want me to list my top five Broadway tunes, my favorite Frankie the Crooner songs, or my least favorite film scores (Gone with the Wind)?

In a word, yes!

Like I have any favorite Broadway tunes or Frankie songs.

Least Favorite Film Scores

1. Gone with the Wind

2. Rio Grande

3. Random Harvest

4. Out of Africa

5. Doctor Zhivago

Have to agree about Dr. Zhivago. I grew up with Lara's Theme playing on every store's musak.

But I have to say that after years of hating Mr. Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night" for the same reason, I find I like it. It's really fun.

So it's a trap. Do you want me to list my top five Broadway tunes, my favorite Frankie the Crooner songs, or my least favorite film scores (Gone with the Wind)?

yes! or course we do!

yeah what april said frankie. heehee!

oh that was cold! heehee! april dont mind the transylvanian. hes just making a scene.....a rather funny scene.

april i think we are putting him on the spot....thats okay he needs this every once in a while. its good for him.

okay okay, you caught us. were coming out with our hands up. heehee! maybe a little more than every once in a while......maybe. :)

Now that's how tea should taste! And the after effects are splendid! Be sure you have some, Theresa, before Greer and Walter drink it all up! oops! The Transylvanian is here now there won't be any left!

B-A-D influence. And which two dames have downed six and five cups of tea already today? Your little bladders don't have a chance.

heehee! i only got to six, goodness. i have finished drinking tea for the day. scouts honor!

what do you mean B-A-D influence. april is a great influence, especially with a naive little nobody like me. heehee!

it is the marvelous miracle tea! made just by greer. heehee! i tell ya, people will wanna get this on the market. it cured my flu....and yours too april, remember? wait a minute, its what we feared, greer and walter drank it all up and left none for the rest of the world. heehee! i guess well just have to share the recipe with them. after all, they love us dont they? :)

well have to move quickly, b/c the transylvanian is stalking! :P

Least Favorite Film Scores

1. Gone with the Wind

2. Rio Grande

3. Random Harvest

4. Out of Africa

5. Doctor Zhivago

frankie furter, do i detect a movie in there that just happens to be one of my top favorites? a movie that i cry to a lot? like all of those have great soundtracks except for Doctor Zhivago. i never comprehended that movie too well.

Hola, ButtersneakGreer -- Do you want me to list my top five Broadway tunes, my favorite Frankie the Crooner songs, or my least favorite film scores (Gone with the Wind)?

yes! or course we do!

You know I cannot come up with those kind of lists. You know what kind of music I like, Silly Goose. So does the snippy cauldron stirrer.

oh that was cold! heehee! april dont mind the transylvanian. hes just making a scene.....a rather funny scene.

Not as cold as some shoulders... or neck. :D

okay okay, you caught us. were coming out with our hands up. heehee! maybe a little more than every once in a while......maybe.

I'm sure you'd give up but the one wearin' the spots doesn't surrender that easily.

heehee! i only got to six, goodness. i have finished drinking tea for the day. scouts honor!

Your nose is growing, you little fibber.

what do you mean B-A-D influence. april is a great influence, especially with a naive little nobody like me.

The steam from the cauldron has entered your system. You are gone forever now. I have tried and tried to warn you about Finishing School girls with cauldrons and you refused to listen.

do i detect a movie in there that just happens to be one of my top favorites? a movie that i cry to a lot? like all of those have great soundtracks except for Doctor Zhivago. i never comprehended that movie too well.

The truth is, I haven't seen any of those films. I was merely teasing you and the Goddess. I don't know what the score sounds like for Random Harvest. :)

well have to move quickly, b/c the transylvanian is stalking! :P

I'm a stalker? Don't flatter me so.

My Favorite Bernard Herrmann Scores:

1. Vertigo

2. Psycho

3. Cape Fear

4. On Dangerous Ground

5. The Day the Earth Stood Still

6. The Devil and Daniel Webster

7. Portrait of Jennie

8. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

9. Citizen Kane

10. North by Northwest

manwhoknewtoomuch1.jpg

manwhoknewtoomuch2.jpg

manwhoknewtoomuch3.jpg

manwhoknewtoomuch4.jpg

manwhoknewtoomuch5.jpg

manwhoknewtoomuch6.jpg

You know I cannot come up with those kind of lists. You know what kind of music I like, Silly Goose. So does the snippy cauldron stirrer.

yes i know. :(

Not as cold as some shoulders... or neck.

im shaking in my booties. heehee!

okay okay, you caught us. were coming out with our hands up. heehee! maybe a little more than every once in a while......maybe.

I'm sure you'd give up but the one wearin' the spots doesn't surrender that easily.[/b]

i didnt say i was serious! i would never give up that easily. no retreat, no surrender!

i only got to six, goodness. i have finished drinking tea for the day. scouts honor!

Your nose is growing, you little fibber.

alright, i got to seven, but it isnt my fault, i cant sleep, so i have to do something about it, and hot chamomille tea is the best thing for it, honest! wopps my long nose just tipped over the mug. heehee! now i have to get another one.

what do you mean B-A-D influence. april is a great influence, especially with a naive little nobody like me.

The steam from the cauldron has entered your system. You are gone forever now. I have tried and tried to warn you about Finishing School girls with cauldrons and you refused to listen.

no i always wear protective masks when handling hot cauldrons. if im gone forever, then how am i still here? theres no place like home, theres no place like home. ;)

do i detect a movie in there that just happens to be one of my top favorites? a movie that i cry to a lot? like all of those have great soundtracks except for Doctor Zhivago. i never comprehended that movie too well.

The truth is, I haven't seen any of those films. I was merely teasing you and the Goddess. I don't know what the score sounds like for Random Harvest.

have you really not watched random harvest yet?

well have to move quickly, b/c the transylvanian is stalking!

that wasnt suppose to flatter you, april run for the hills quickly!! im right behind you!

My Favorite Bernard Herrmann Scores:

1. Vertigo

2. Psycho

3. Cape Fear

4. On Dangerous Ground

5. The Day the Earth Stood Still

6. The Devil and Daniel Webster

7. Portrait of Jennie

8. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

9. Citizen Kane

10. North by Northwest

nice list frankie! see it wasnt that hard now was it?

Hiya, ButterscotchTea -- You know I cannot come up with those kind of lists. You know what kind of music I like, Silly Goose. So does the snippy cauldron stirrer.

What's the sad face for? Is it for my lack of culture and my poor taste in music?

Manhattan blizzards will do that to you.

i didnt say i was serious! i would never give up that easily. no retreat, no surrender!

So now you're a little fighter. Bad influences.

alright, i got to seven, but it isnt my fault, i cant sleep, so i have to do something about it, and hot chamomille tea is the best thing for it, honest! wopps my long nose just tipped over the mug. heehee! now i have to get another one.

:D You have me laughing. When I need to get to sleep, I'll play a boring movie like Random Harvest or How Green Was My Valley. It does the trick all the time.

no i always wear protective masks when handling hot cauldrons. if im gone forever, then how am i still here? theres no place like home, theres no place like home.

Well, Dorothy, the old sweet T has been replaced by the badly-influenced new T. You've been brainwashed.

that wasnt suppose to flatter you,

It wasn't?

april run for the hills quickly!! im right behind you!

She can't outrun you. Besides, she doesn't need to run because she's got claws.

nice list frankie! see it wasnt that hard now was it?

I have lurked on this thread, so I have seen your wonderful lists. Of course, I hardly know any of the songs and soundtracks you chose.

The questioned posed by Miss Cauldron isn't what I answered, though.

But I'm curious what the rest of you like to listen to (which kind of music, what singers, bands, eras, etc.) and how and where do you listen most often?

I don't listen to Bennie's scores. To Miss California Driver's credit, she answered her own question... later on.

You certainly know what music I listen to.

have you really not watched random harvest yet?

I've watched it. Grace Kelly was pretty decent in it. Do you think she should have gone with William Holden?

randomharvest58.jpg

randomharvest59.jpg

Like I have any favorite Broadway tunes or Frankie songs

I know your tastes need elevating. I'm sending you and ChiO to Finishing School.

And tell the truth, you have "Lara's Theme" playing on your Ipod all the time....

But I have to say that after years of hating Mr. Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night" for the same reason, I find I like it. It's really fun.

Hi Jackie! I wonder if Mr. S. ever "came around" himself. He hated "Strangers in the Night" even though it became one of his biggest hits ever.

My favorite Sinatra songs are "The Best is Yet to Come," "The Lady is a Tramp" and "Violets for Your Furs". Favorite Album: Francis Albert Sinatra / Antonio Carlos Jobim.

"Bennie"? You can't even spell. His name is Bernard so isn't the proper short form Bernie or Barney? As in P. Fife? At least you posted some nice pictures. Psycho wasn't No. 1 on your list? You must have been in a sentimental mood when you wrote your list.

I have a hard time picking favorite Sinatra tunes- do you go with the early, smooth, nearly perfect crooner voice, or the mid 50's blown out, swingin', two o'clock am voice? I just can't decide.

Really should just call this the Portrait of Jennie/Ghost and Mrs. Muir double feature. Mr. Grimes, I am amazed that these two romantic movies made your list! Although they are my dream team movie scores, I really can't picture you kickin' back, with your hanky in hand and sobbing like a baby, like I do!

Frank's voice was crystal perfection in his youth and when I'm in a mood for something lushly romantic, I tune into his bobby soxer years. But most of the time, I like the "lived in" Frank, the one whose singing goes straight into your bloodstream. No other singer has that "no barriers," direct effect for me. It's one case where I can comfortably sacrifice technical perfection for truth.

My favorite Sinatra songs are "The Best is Yet to Come," "The Lady is a Tramp" and "Violets for Your Furs". Favorite Album: Francis Albert Sinatra / Antonio Carlos Jobim.

great choice in frankie songs april!!! i love all those too. my favorites from frankie are:

"let me love you tonight", and "if you are but a dream" from Frank Sinatra TheV- Discs. that is one of the two of my favorite cds of his. my other one is Romance Songs From the Heart. my fav songs on that one are: "ive got a crush on you" and "try a little tenderness".

you could not have described frankie's voice as a younger singer better! he was all perfection and crystal clear, but as he got older his voice did get a little toward the raspy side from all the drinking and smoking, but i still love it! i would listne to any of his songs as long as he is singing it.

Thank you, Ayers, ButterTea. :)

T---you have his cd of the V-discs? Wow, I am impressed once again. I can't even say for sure if I've heard all the songs they contain! But then, his catalogue is so enormous there are many, many recordings I have yet to hear.

I love "I've Got a Crush on You", it's so lovely---and the equisitely simple and direct "Always", THAT one makes me swoon like any true-blue bobby-soxer. I also think "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" is so sweet from the same period.

Have you seen that funny cartoon about the chickens ( I think it's a porky pig cartoon called "The Swooner Crooner" ) and the roosters that are made to look like Frankie and Bing? It's so cute and funny and one of my all time favorites. Frankie is so skinny he disappears behind the mike. :) There were a few cartoons that featured an ultra skinny Sinatra.

What's the sad face for? Is it for my lack of culture and my poor taste in music?

im really giggling. you dont have lack of culture frankie.....and you dont have, well you dont have lack of culture. heehee!

i dont live in Manhatten silly, april does. i done live down here in texas cowboy. heehee!

You have me laughing. When I need to get to sleep, I'll play a boring movie like Random Harvest or How Green Was My Valley. It does the trick all the time.

well theres no way you would fall asleep to your choice of music. ;) at least youre honest.

Well, Dorothy, the old sweet T has been replaced by the badly-influenced new T. You've been brainwashed.

then why does everyone i know keep telling me im a goody-two shoes all the time.

that wasnt suppose to flatter you,

It wasn't?

no matter how hard i try to disappoint you, it never works. heehee!

i bet she could outrun me. i dont run very fast. my body wasnt made for that kind of athletics.

You certainly know what music I listen to.

what about those screen caps down there, which by the way are GORGEOUS?

tell me you didnt like that cutre little song, granted it isnt the kind you listen to, but still, didnt you like it the slightest bit? its like hearing veronica lake or rita hayworth sing one of their nightclub songs, except this one isnt in a nightclub. its in a canteen. or is that the reason?

I've watched it. Grace Kelly was pretty decent in it. Do you think she should have gone with William Holden?

yeah. yeah thats just what i was thinking. honestly! where was wiliam holden in the movie, i must have missed that.....especially grace kelly. i dont recall seeing a blonde in there to make it an indecorous movie. heehee!

I love the Frankie - Bing Warner Bros. cartoons (speaking of great music). I keep picturing the scene where Frankie is singing and the hens go so crazy for him they lay mountains of eggs!

Nice n' Easy is my favorite album, CD or whatever they call them nowadays. (Oooohhh, Frankie!!)

I got my daughter to listen to Ella Fitzgerald's Cole Porter songbook about a month ago. It was a hoot! She heard the song It's Delovely on a commercial, and couldn't understand what the word Delovely meant! She danced around in the living room to it.

I got my daughter to listen to Ella Fitzgerald's Cole Porter songbook about a month ago. It was a hoot! She heard the song It's Delovely on a commercial, and couldn't understand what the word Delovely meant! She danced around in the living room to it.

That's so cute!! Ella is my favorite female vocalist (along with Peggy Lee and Doris Day). I love her renditions of "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" and "Miss Otis Regrets".

aaawwww! that was a cute picture! it sounds like your daughter had a lovely time listening to Ella. we all do, you cant help it.

Ella is one of my favorite female vocalists too, along with Lena Horne, Dinah Shore, Doris Day, and Jo Stafford. i have lots of other favs too!

i have seen that cartoon. is that the one where there is another one singing on the other side of frankie, and it is bing's voice and they are like competing for all the hens to go crazy over them? that one is so cute! the piles of eggs get higher and higher!

Hi, Broadway Butterscotch -- What's the sad face for? Is it for my lack of culture and my poor taste in music?

im really giggling. you dont have lack of culture frankie.....and you dont have, well you dont have lack of culture. heehee!

:D My lack of culture greatly outshines my poor taste in music. ;)

i dont live in Manhatten silly, april does. i done live down here in texas cowboy. heehee!

Manhattan blizzards are far-reaching, Cowgirl.

well theres no way you would fall asleep to your choice of music. ;) at least youre honest.

See, you know what music I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXyX45A0Alk

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWswHtQUkc

i bet she could outrun me. i dont run very fast. my body wasnt made for that kind of athletics.

Ohhh no, she couldn't. She's in either high heels, slippers, or enpointes. You've got her.

tell me you didnt like that cutre little song, granted it isnt the kind you listen to, but still, didnt you like it the slightest bit? its like hearing veronica lake or rita hayworth sing one of their nightclub songs, except this one isnt in a nightclub. its in a canteen. or is that the reason?

I would definitely watch Greer sing in a canteen. :D But, yes, I do prefer Veronica and Rita in a nightclub. I did like the "cute little song." Greer is quite enchanting and very warm and sweet at that part of Random Harvest.

yeah. yeah thats just what i was thinking. honestly! where was wiliam holden in the movie, i must have missed that.....especially grace kelly. i dont recall seeing a blonde in there to make it an indecorous movie. heehee!

Grace is never indecorous. She's decorative:

Bonjour, Mrs. Sinatra -- I know your tastes need elevating. I'm sending you and ChiO to Finishing School.

Now why would I want to go to a Finishing School? Ohh, right, that's where all the bad girls are.

And tell the truth, you have "Lara's Theme" playing on your Ipod all the time....

Oh, sure.

I actually had to YouTube the song because I wasn't sure what it sounded like. I have at least heard it before.

"Bennie"? You can't even spell. His name is Bernard so isn't the proper short form Bernie or Barney? As in P. Fife?

I'll let Hitch know he's improperly calling Bennie, "Bennie." By the way, he also believes you're full of crocodile tears.

At least you posted some nice pictures.

"At Least" is something you say to me A LOT. I must wear it well. :P

Psycho wasn't No. 1 on your list?

Only in my bleeding heart.

You must have been in a sentimental mood when you wrote your list.

Me? Sentimental? Never! I'm the guy who likes gallons of blood, decapitations, and ugly noirs. There's absolutely no possible way I can be sentimental. None. Once again, you must have me confused with someone else. You must know A LOT of Franks.

Hiya, Mrs. George Sanders (husband #6?) -- :P

Mr. Grimes, I am amazed that these two romantic movies made your list! Although they are my dream team movie scores, I really can't picture you kickin' back, with your hanky in hand and sobbing like a baby, like I do!

Finally! A perceptive woman! Now could you please inform the other two that I'm not sentimental?