Sign in to follow this  
tiqufreak

Unedited version of Zulu

3 posts in this topic

I have been on the search for an unedited version of Zulu with Michael Caine, 1964. I have purchased 2 versions, one released by MGM Home Entertainment, but it is missing the impressive display of vocal posturing by the Zulu's when they first appear on the hillsides of Roark's Drift. The original version is like the posturing displayed just before the final battle but lengthier and without the singing. It is such an essential scene, I cannot believe it has been edited out.

I don't want to purchase another without knowing for certain that this scene is included. Does anyone know of a source for this wonderful, full-length movie?

I've got a copy of ZULU on DVD that has the scene you describe.

If I remember correctly, I got it through Amazon a few years ago after extensive searching. It was put out by an outfit called "Belle & Blade Studios", with an address given as 124 Penn Avenue, Dover, N.J. 07801. There's a phone number, 973-328-8488, but no web site listed.

It's not the "world's greatest print" - it is widescreen. Just yer basic stereo, no Dolby or other sound enhancement.

It wasn't cheap when I bought it, but at that point I was just so happy to find a copy of this movie that price wasn't an issue!

This is one of my favorite war "epics". The battle scenes really give you a lesson in how the British Empire was won - the discipline and the 3-rank firing system were mercilessly effective!