Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Hubert de Givenchy has died

112 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ahem.

YES.

FunnyFace_8926700_5608._V347472025_RI_SX

And I love the wedding dress in Funny Face, 1957-- It established a style you could see throughout the 60s.

42 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Since most of us don't really get that psychologically caught up in What Audrey Wore, ARE you, really?  -_-

Costume design is important in all movies, but it's particularly exciting in the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Cinema artists like Travis Banton, Orry-Kelly, Jean Louis and Adrian were a crucial and important part of any Cinema Collaboration.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ahem.

YES.

funny-face-1956-006-audrey-hepburn-in-yellow-dress.jpg?itok=hui3Yy0-

Aside from the red dress, this is my other favorite dress in the photo shoot in Funny Face

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I guess I missed that. She probably would've stolen that one too........

She was responsible for Hepburn's drab attire pre-model in the film. None of the Parisian dresses (except maybe the How to Be Lovely number).......

Too bad Givenchy couldn't have competed against Edith Head for the Costume Design Oscar.  Other categories can have multiple nominees from the same film competing against one another, why not for Best Costume Design?

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Too bad Givenchy couldn't have competed against Edith Head for the Costume Design Oscar.  Other categories can have multiple nominees from the same film competing against one another, why not for Best Costume Design?

Edith headed up the department at Paramount and her name was always on the credit, whether she did most of the work or not.

Only the Insiders knew really what was going on.

Being an ignorant member of the public, I was always astonished at the amount of Oscars she won.

But that was possible too because she knew how to "game" the system.

31 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Costume design is important in all movies, but it's particularly exciting in the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Cinema artists like Travis Banton, Orry-Kelly, Jean Louis and Adrian were a crucial and important part of any Cinema Collaboration.

Costume design is an art form in and of itself.  There are so many iconic costumes in classic film.  It takes talent to not only construct the actual movie itself, but to actually bring it to life with great costuming.

Scarlett O'Hara's gowns from Gone With the Wind, Dorothy's blue gingham dress from The Wizard of Oz, Holly Golighty's little black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's, Robin Hood's Lincoln green costume from The Adventures of Robin Hood, Gilda's dress in the "Put the Blame on Mame" number from Gilda... all iconic costumes from classic film that required a talented designer.  

I love Hollywood costumes and am always fascinated by them when I see them on display.  I saw one of Lucy Ricardo's polka dot dresses in the I Love Lucy exhibit at the Hollywood Museum and at Universal Studios Hollywood (I think it may have been the same dress) and it was amazing to think that Lucille Ball herself wore this dress.  I also saw the brown dress that she wears in The Long, Long Trailer when she and Desi attend the trailer show, before they saw "it" (the trailer).  

When I watch classic movies, I always wonder what happened to all the costumes and set pieces.  I imagine most of them were just packed back into a warehouse somewhere ready to be used on another film.  I am curious as to whether costumes from a big film, say Gone With the Wind, were purposely saved after the filming ended in 1939, or whether they just happened to survive until someone found them buried in a warehouse somewhere.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Edith headed up the department at Paramount and her name was always on the credit, whether she did most of the work or not.

Only the Insiders knew really what was going on.

Being an ignorant member of the public, I was always astonished at the amount of Oscars she won.

But that was possible too because she knew how to "game" the system.

That seems unfair that she got credit just because she was the head of the department.  Edith must have been quite shrewd.  She does do good work, but it's awful that she stole Givenchy's Oscar from him for Sabrina.  What else would they have been giving an award for? William Holden's white dinner jacket? Bogart's college sweater and beanie? 

31 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That seems unfair that she got credit just because she was the head of the department.  Edith must have been quite shrewd.  She does do good work, but it's awful that she stole Givenchy's Oscar from him for Sabrina.  What else would they have been giving an award for? William Holden's white dinner jacket? Bogart's college sweater and beanie? 

Edith took credit so often for designs that she did not create that it would take us a while to sort it all out.

Even Cary Grant disagreed about her credit--he claimed to have used his own wardrobe for To Catch a Thief.

Edith was all abound in studio politics to get ahead from the very beginning at Paramount.

But her biggest costume controversies were about the peacock dress that Hedy Lamarr wore in Samson and Delilah and the costume design for The Sting.

Edith won Oscars for both, but was accused of not having done the dress for Hedy Lamarr and of having done None of the designs for The Sting.

Part of Edith's  power was that she wrote popular books about her designs and she often appeared on television, which gave her the public relations edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Edith took credit so often for designs that she did not create that it would take us a while to sort it all out.

Even Cary Grant disagreed about her credit--he claimed to have used his own wardrobe for To Catch a Thief.

Edith was all abound in studio politics to get ahead from the very beginning at Paramount.

But her biggest costume controversies were about the peacock dress that Hedy Lamarr wore in Samson and Delilah and the costume design for The Sting.

Edith won Oscars for both, but was accused of not having done the dress for Hedy Lamarr and of having done None of the designs for The Sting.

Part of Edith's  power was that she wrote popular books about her designs and she often appeared on television, which gave her the public relations edge.

Wow.  Not to contradict Cary Grant, but I'm sure her credit for To Catch a Thief was for Grace Kelly's clothing unless Cary Grant also owned a gorgeous gold ballgown--and who knows? maybe he did. Maybe the credit should have read: "Costumes by Edith Head and Cary Grant" lol. 

This blog entry seems well researched and has its sources listed at the bottom:

https://lisawallerrogers.com/tag/edith-head-costume-design/

According to the blogger, Edith even misrepresented her talent to Cecil B DeMille who was looking for a sketch artist.  She apparently taught at an art school (which she lied about her qualifications to get the position.  In 1927, references must not have been "a thing" yet.  Lol) and took an art class herself so she could stay one class ahead of her students.  When applying for the sketch job, she apparently pilfered her students' sketches (of a variety of different things: seascapes, interior design, architecture, etc.) and erased their names and wrote hers on and presented her portfolio of other people's work to the studio and got the job.  Sounds like she was a fraud from the start, lol. Apparently the jig was up fairly quickly when it became obvious on day one that she didn't know how to draw, but the studio for whatever reason decided to take her under their wing and teach her how to sketch.  

Edith was apparently nominated 35 times for an Oscar and won 8.  Her reasoning for accepting Givenchy's Oscar was that it was her department that produced it.  I'm sure that she didn't store the Oscars in a communal area in the costume department.  And I'm sure that the Oscars weren't engraved with anything other than "Edith Head."  While reading about Head, I found out how she was nominated for so many Oscars.  Apparently between 1948 (when the category was created) to 1967, they awarded Oscars for black and white and color films.  In many of these years, Edith Head was nominated for awards in both categories which is how she racked up so many nominations in such a short period of time.  All her nominations came between 1949-1977.  

Lol Bob Mackie said about Edith Head: "She got more press out of The Sting than anything she ever did and she didn't even do it." Apparently she was sued by the costume illustrator of The Sting for taking credit.  I've been unable to find out what the outcome was.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Wow, I never knew Edith Head had something in common with Miles Davis.   ;)

I was surprised to find out Givenchy was still living to be honest. But I was pleasantly surprised when our local newscaster did the story & pronounced his name correctly, being in Alabama and all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry to hear of Hubert De Givenchy's passing. I like his fragrances and clothing line. Coco Chanel created the little black dress, but the dress that Givenchy designed for Audrey Heburn is one of the most iconic items of clothing in history.
  • Thanks 1

how awesome would it have been if Givenchy and Edith Head had won for FUNNY FACE and Hubert got liquored up and beat her to the stage and was all:

"forgive me for not being a gentleman, Edith, but I steal the microphone to shut your praises. Ladies and Gentleman, this woman was tasked with making my dear friend and muse Audrey Hepburn...

(pause for applause)

"appear dowdy, and let me tell you, that is some challenge, but Edith, always one to rise to a challenge, designed to most delightful little substitute teacher rompers that did just the trick like nothing else could.

(pause for laughter)

"Everything else in the movie was me. The wedding dress. The red dress. The rose gown. The yellow sun dress. The white satin column with pink sari wrap and tiara. C'est moi, c'est moi, c'est moi. Also that black and white organza strapless gown in SABRINA. That was me too. But again, Edith had the challenge on that film- Bogart kept burning cigarette holes in his suit coats and Edith always had to have a standby. Oh, The SABRINA NECKLINE? Me. And people will still mention that 70 years from now and know exactly what you mean even if you haven't seen the film. But I loved your little cotillion dress for Elizabeth Taylor in A PLACE IN THE SUN, Edith. it was too cute."

But I go on too long, take the microphone Edith, the Good Lord knows you take everything else..."

and then he just marched off stage leaving Edith looking just like Barbara Walters that time Star Jones quit on air on THE VIEW...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diana101 said:
I'm sorry to hear of Hubert De Givenchy's passing. I like his fragrances and clothing line. Coco Chanel created the little black dress, but the dress that Givenchy designed for Audrey Heburn is one of the most iconic items of clothing in history.

A copy of it went for almost a million dollars at a Christie auction for charity around 15 years ago. Who goes slumming around Manhattan in the early morning hours? Only in the movies! :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

I was surprised to find out Givenchy was still living to be honest. But I was pleasantly surprised when our local newscaster did the story & pronounced his name correctly, being in Alabama and all. 

I didnt see anything about it on the network news, though I could've missed it as I didnt catch the first part (I doubt it would've been that big a news item) last night.

Is it true the L'interdit original fragrance is no longer available? I know there is one out now, but I dont think it's the original.

16 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Lorna, have you ever considered swapping your avatar for one of Audrey?
Just a thought. ;):)

I think Joan fits Lorna's personality more!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, I would NEVER try to be Audrey.

Every now and then, a new girl wants to pretend like she’s Audrey-  see Jennifer Love Hewitt and Julia Roberts and Calista Flockhart and most recently (ugh) Anne Hathaway. 

Stop trying. You’re not Audrey. None of you are.

(And a couple of you are, at best, discounted Millie Perkinses)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Well, when you put it that way, maybe you are right.
But if our avatars are supposed to be a "reflection" of our personalities, then I am now truly confused by what I am seeing?????? :o:huh::blink::wacko::unsure:

Well, I really am a crotchety blankety-blank like my avatar!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

But if our avatars are supposed to be a "reflection" of our personalities, then I am now truly confused by what I am seeing?????? :o:huh::blink::wacko::unsure:

LOL. You wouldn't hurt a fly!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I didnt see anything about it on the network news, though I could've missed it as I didnt catch the first part (I doubt it would've been that big a news item) last night.

Is it true the L'interdit original fragrance is no longer available? I know there is one out now, but I dont think it's the original.

I don't think it's the original. In the 1970's I use to wear L'interdit and I also wore Le De ( not at the same time) LOL. Recently I took a whiff of L'interdit at a dept. store, and it did not bring back memories of the original. I could never decide which perfume I liked better, both were very beautiful. So many of the perfumes I wore years ago are either no longer available or are bad copies of the original.  It such a shame, I think most perfumes just aren't as beautiful as they use to be. so many just smell the same. I wish I had kept all the bottles of the originals I had.

As an aside, back in the 1970's I dated one of Givenchy's designers. He gave me 2 tee shirts and a scarf. (both tee shirts were sample size) more than having all the original perfumes I had I wish I had that sample size figure again. :D

30 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I don't think it's the original. In the 1970's I use to wear L'interdit and I also wore Le De ( not at the same time) LOL. Recently I took a whiff of L'interdit at a dept. store, and it did not bring back memories of the original. I could never decide which perfume I liked better, both were very beautiful. So many of the perfumes I wore years ago are either no longer available or are bad copies of the original.  It such a shame, I think most perfumes just aren't as beautiful as they use to be. so many just smell the same. I wish I had kept all the bottles of the originals I had.

Sometimes the acuity of our "sniffers" changes with age. :unsure:
Some folks I know will say that the food that they used to really enjoy, no longer tastes the same as it used to.
I am not a connoisseur of perfumes, so I really don't know, perhaps the industry is trying to economize by using cheaper artificial chemicals as opposed to real floral extracts. That wouldn't surprise me a bit either. :(

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Hibi, do you really possess the "personality" of your avatar of Georgie???

LOL. He has the better voice..........

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

As an aside, back in the 1970's I dated one of Givenchy's designers. He gave me 2 tee shirts and a scarf. (both tee shirts were sample size) more than having all the original perfumes I had I wish I had that sample size figure again. :D

WOW! Never knew that. Yes, I know. Perfumes are so cheaply made now. More chemicals and manufactured scents. Few of the old perfumes exist anymore or arent the same formulas. It's sad. (but then again, I couldnt afford them anyway at this point!)