Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Hubert de Givenchy has died

112 posts in this topic

Damn. I forgot it was on and missed the iconic opening! :(  Tiffanys is a film I've seen so much, I only like to watch parts of it. (the beginning; the end; Holly singing the title song etc.) Rooney I skip. What was the point of him wearing buck teeth anyway? His characterization was offensive enough! So if I'm in the mood, I'll have it on picture in picture and just watch certain parts of it. Its been so long since I've read the book, I've forgotten a lot of it (it wasn't very long). They did make some major changes (the end; the romance between Paul and Holly; and the time period-late 40s in the book) But the plot (such as there was one), was pretty much the same.

I think Capote based the book on Carol Matthau (Walter's wife). Pre-Walter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Damn. I forgot it was on and missed the iconic opening! :(  Tiffanys is a film I've seen so much, I only like to watch parts of it. (the beginning; the end; Holly singing the title song etc.) Rooney I skip. What was the point of him wearing buck teeth anyway? His characterization was offensive enough! So if I'm in the mood, I'll have it on picture in picture and just watch certain parts of it. Its been so long since I've read the book, I've forgotten a lot of it (it wasn't very long). They did make some major changes (the end; the romance between Paul and Holly; and the time period-late 40s in the book) But the plot (such as there was one), was pretty much the same.

I think Capote based the book on Carol Matthau (Walter's wife). Pre-Walter.

And "the happy ending" does not occur in the novella.

Paul and Holly go their separate ways.

03-danish-breakfast-at-tiffanys.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rayban said:

And "the happy ending" does not occur in the novella.

Paul and Holly go their separate ways.

Yes, the story is told in flashback. She winds up flying down to South America and he loses track of her.....

it's worth it to view the extensive trivia section for the film on imdb.com, they have something like sixty items mentioned- all should probably be taken with a grain of salt, as should Mickey Rooney's claim that "in  the 40 years since we made the movie no one ever had a problem with it" he also claimed Asian people on the street would tell him how funny they found it over the years.

(I know he's dead, but I still call "I WANNA SEE RECIEPTS!" on this.)

• Like 2

FragranceNet.com <info@email.fragrancenet.com>

Speaking of Givenchy, 57% off sale at Fragrance.com!

Dont ask me how they came up with that percentage....

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's worth it to view the extensive trivia section for the film on imdb.com, they have something like sixty items mentioned- all should probably be taken with a grain of salt, as should Mickey Rooney's claim that "in  the 40 years since we made the movie no one ever had a problem with it" he also claimed Asian people on the street would tell him how funny they found it over the years.

I had the " pleasure " of once meeting Mickey Rooney in a group press interview.

Those comments or those quotes attributed to him sound very much like the kind of personality that I  encountered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My Japaneses mom was just confused by the performance.    The reason being that Japaneses women were generally portrayed by Hollywood in mostly positive ways;   The Teahouse of the Augest Moon,  Sayonara (both with Brando) and even on T.V. with the Courtship of Eddie's Father;   We grew up on that show and that Japaneses actress reminded us kids of our mom (except the women on the show was much nicer,  ha ha).  

So she didn't understand why this film portrayed a Japanese man as a clownish type character.   (but the buck teeth she understood since that was how Japanese men were portrayed on US WWII posters).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Besides the racist stereotype, the other big issue with the Japanese landlord in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S is that- really- he has a point, chic and lovable as Holly may be: GURL, QUIT BUZZING ME TO LET YOU IN AND REMEMBER YO KEY!!!!  YOU RUDE, RUDE, IMPOSSIBLY CHIC ELVIN CREATURE.

had the part been played by TOSHIRO MIFUNE as his character from SEVEN SAMURAI, it would've been a whole different film. (not saying a better film, but a different film.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Besides the racist stereotype, the other big issue with the Japanese landlord in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S is that- really- he has a point, chic and lovable as Holly may be: GURL, QUIT BUZZING ME TO LET YOU IN AND REMEMBER YO KEY!!!!  YOU RUDE, RUDE, IMPOSSIBLY CHIC ELVIN CREATURE.

had the part been played by TOSHIRO MIFUNE as his character from SEVEN SAMURAI, it would've been a whole different film. (not saying a better film, but a different film.)

Anything with Toshiro Mifune would be better!

But I also got a feeling about Rooney's character that he was rather prurient  in relationship to Holly, which gave me the creeps.

Kids seeing that photo would say, "Oh she's so elegant! Those clothes, jewelry....her hair! I want to be just like Holly Golightly"

While I see a bitter, envious woman yearning for a life full of phony glamor. The Danish & to-go cup of coffee is a poignant touch. What's up with that floating bracelet?

As an aside....my first career was a window dresser, until Malls made window advertising obsolete. The window dresser for the NYC Tiffany's store was the brilliant Gene Moore, there is even a coffee table book of photos of his clever window designs. He did eye catching things like "floating bracelets".

• Like 2

Funny, I never noticed that bracelet before!!!