Sign in to follow this  
Stephan55

ANOTHER TRUNCATED FILM!!!

10 posts in this topic

ANOTHER SNAKE PIT ON WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND!!!

FIFTH time I've re-edited AND Re-posted this thread.
PLEASE READ IT BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER DECISION TO DELETE IT!

THE SNAKE PIT (1948) which TCM broadcast last Monday evening (3/5/2018) but didn't make available for ON-DEMAND viewing until late in the evening of Friday, 3/9/2018 (4 days later) allowing an ON-DEMAND viewing window until 3/13/2018 (maybe 4 Full days???) was not only belatedly listed, but when one actually attempts to watch it they will sadly discover that there is ONLY 11.33 MIN there to view, and after subtracting Dave Karger's INTRO (1.46 MIN), and THEN at 10.35 MIN, Dave Karger's OUTRO, that leaves ONLY about 8.5 MIN OF ACTUAL MOVIE!!!

THE SNAKE PIT runs approx. 108 min, so this time TCM has cut off about 100 min of the remaining movie!!!
Last month (Feb. 2018) TCM Cut THE CHAMP in half. The month prior (Jan. 2018) they cut a third off of WINGS OF DESIRE. In Dec. 2017, they cut a few minutes off the end of another movie reported on these boards....

Same has occurred in previous months (and years), though until recently I wasn't aware that this has turned into a MONTHLY REPEAT ISSUE! And that is only the movies that I (and a few others here) have actually caught and attempted to post here about!!!

I don't understand Why it appears to be so difficult for persons at TCM to actually monitor their own streaming and ON-DEMAND output!

Regardless, This is NOT a good practice model and only serves to continually frustrate and alienate TCM viewers.

Maybe it's time for see some disclaimers on TCM On Demand, such as

"The following film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen, to run in the time allotted and edited for content"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

"The following film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen, to run in the time allotted and edited for content"

Agreed. Can you imagine the outcry if TCM did this sort of thing on the regular TV channel?
Yet they behave as if because it's streaming to an ON-DEMAND audience that they (we) don't deserve the same QA promise fulfilment of "Complete and Uncut...." :(

On 3/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, scsu1975 said:

That would indicate that they know in advance which movies will get the special on-demand edit - they'd be safer to just run everything with:

"The following film may have been modified from it's original version. It may have been formatted to fit this screen, to run in the time allotted and edited for content. Or not. Time will tell..."

"PS: If you get the original silent version of your sound classic, don't winge, that was intentional."

• Haha 1

After a MONTH Hiatus (during April 2018) in which TCM threw in OTHER problems (see separate threads) this May (2018) they are Again back to delivering TRUNCATED movies ON-DEMAND!
Another viewer caught and reported this one, which I confirmed (as can anyone else for these next few days, INCLUDING TCM Staff, if they care to be interested!)

THE BLUE ANGEL
(1930) original
German language version, which TCM broadcast last Thursday evening (5/10/2018) and Actually made available for ON-DEMAND viewing within the once "normal" 3 hrs after airing, IS however, HIGHLY TRUNCATED!
The Normal 107 min movie is actually ON-DEMAND at 59.46 min!
Minus BM's intro & outro (2.44 min), The truncated movie actually runs for only 57.02 min! (shortened by almost half!)

The BM intro ends at 2.01 min, the truncated movie runs for 57.02 min, then (at 59.03 min) BM's outro cuts in and runs the final 43 seconds! 

In April (2018) THE SNAKE PIT was supposed to run approx. 108 min, TCM cut off about 100 min of the movie!!!
In Feb. (2018) TCM Cut THE CHAMP in half. The month prior (Jan. 2018) they cut a third off of WINGS OF DESIRE. In Dec. 2017, they cut a few minutes off the end of another movie reported on these boards....

The Same has occurred in previous months (and years), though until recently I wasn't aware that this has turned into such a FREQUENTLY REPEATED ISSUE!
And that is only the movies that I (and a few others here) have actually caught and attempted to post about!!!

I STILL can't understand Why it appears to be so difficult for persons at TCM to actually monitor their own streaming and ON-DEMAND output!

Regardless, This (along with FREQUENTLY occurring "other" ON-DEMAND problems) is NOT a good practice model And only serves to continually frustrate and alienate TCM viewers.

However, If that is TCM's goal, then in that very limited and "sadly" pathetic sense, I suppose it can be said that TCM is doing a "great" job! :wacko:

I'm unable to watch any films on TCM currently. When I click on the film I get a message saying that I'm not authorized to view and that I should contact my television provider. My provider is Verizon FIOS and I just spent an hour on the phone with them. I didn't get any satisfaction until I spoke with a supervisor who finally contacted the engineers in charge who said there was a glitch between TCM and Verizon preventing the live stream. I'm told it will be fixed within the next 24 hours. What infuriates me about Verizon, aside from how difficult it is to break through their robotic messaging system, is how quickly they tell you that the problem is with the provider of the content not them. As this episode shows, that may be the case but as I have no direct access to the content provider it's incumbent on them to do that as they are acting as the go between the content provider and me, their customer. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2018 at 8:32 PM, andyg0404 said:

I'm unable to watch any films on TCM currently. When I click on the film I get a message saying that I'm not authorized to view and that I should contact my television provider. My provider is Verizon FIOS and I just spent an hour on the phone with them. I didn't get any satisfaction until I spoke with a supervisor who finally contacted the engineers in charge who said there was a glitch between TCM and Verizon preventing the live stream. I'm told it will be fixed within the next 24 hours. What infuriates me about Verizon, aside from how difficult it is to break through their robotic messaging system, is how quickly they tell you that the problem is with the provider of the content not them. As this episode shows, that may be the case but as I have no direct access to the content provider it's incumbent on them to do that as they are acting as the go between the content provider and me, their customer. 

Hi Andy,
I agree you and empathize with our shared frustration regarding both TCM & our ISP & TV providers.
Your sentiments have been expressed by myself and others verbatim on these boards.

This time it was NOT an ISP, nor a TV Provider issue. It affected everyone (which at a minimum signed-in using a PC) regardless of their Operating Systems, or whom their TV Providers were. It again was a problem that originated with TCM itself.
It has happened before like this, and (considering this is TCM) it will more than likely happen again.

Please refer to comments in the  Dreaded ''Not Authorized" Window  thread.

Another TRUNCATED movie ON-DEMAND!

Desire (1936) broadcast by TCM prime-time Thursday evening (5/17/2018) Runs for 50.10 min.
The BM intro ends at 1.43 min. and BM's outro cuts in at 49.14 min (ending 56 seconds later) Allowing a total movie run-time of 47.31 min.

Per IMDb this movie has a 95 min run time, which means that TCM has CUT and essentially "re-edited" 47.29 min (or HALF) of the this movie by such an elimination.

TCM has long stated that its mission is to only play movies in an UNCUT and commercial-Free format, and in the original theatrical or Roadshow EDITED version whenever that is available.
However it is clearly evident that this "rule" does NOT apply when TCM makes these movies AVAILABLE for later ON-DEMAND viewing...

TCM is ignoring the fact that an ever growing number of TCM viewers subscribe to TCM so that they can predominately (if not ever more exclusively) use TCMs highly promoted ON-DEMAND function.
By offering any of these ON-DEMAND movies in such an ABRIDGED and TRUNCATED format, TCM is in effect CUTTING and "re-editing" these movies for their ON-DEMAND subscriber viewers, in total contradiction to TCM's "mission statement" and flagrant disregard for this growing TCM ON-DEMAND membership.
Whether it is caused by error or neglect, THIS IS INEXCUSABLE conduct by TCM...
AND as has been observed and reported in recent months, the appearance of  such Truncated movies  ON-DEMAND, has been reoccurring at an ever more alarming and accelerated frequency. Meaning this problem is becoming worse, and worse, not better.
Despite the fact that it has been repetitively mentioned in posts and threads within these boards, TCM has totally disregarded implementation of any corrective or preventative measures....

SHAME ON TCM....
Is there nobody at TCM that knows or even cares that this is very detrimental to the otherwise "pristine" image that TCM attempts to promote?
Does TCM NOT care that by NOT implementing any remedial actions and continuing to ignore our pleas that they are Not only frustrating a large chunk of their viewer base but are alienating us from TCM. 

Perhaps these are rhetorical questions as the lack of TCM response appears to be the obvious answer!

ANY COMMENT FROM A TCM MODERATOR ABOUT ANY OF THIS???
HOW ABOUT THE MINIMAL COURTESY OF A RESPONSE STATING THAT YOU HAVE NOT ONLY READ OUR CONCERNS BUT HAVE (and ARE) FORWARDING THEM TO TCM????

ANOTHER TRUNCATED MOVIE ON-DEMAND THIS MONTH!

So far this MAY 2018, TCM ON-DEMAND has offered us THREE TRUNCATED MOVIES And the month Ain’t Over Yet!

MOST RECENTLY LAST SUNDAY NIGHTS (5/20/2018) BROADCAST of PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (1951) is offered ON-DEMAND shortened by the final 21 plus minutes!
Per IMDb the complete movie runs 122 min, the ON-DEMAND movie actually runs for 101.41 min (cut short by 21.19 min). BM intro ends at 1.51 min, the movie runs for 101.41 min, then BM outro cuts in at 103.32 min (for 36 seconds) then at 104.11 min, a Filmstruck ad begins.
Note: the "live" broadcast was complete, It Appears that Only the ON-DEMAND TCM subscribers are evidently “deserving” of such carelessly UNMONITORED and CUT-UP Product.

PRIOR TO THIS, Thursday evening (5/17/2018) TCM broadcast Desire (1936) then CUT it’s 95 minute run-time in HALF for its ON-DEMAND viewers.
On the PREVIOUS
Thursday evening (5/10/2018) TCM broadcast THE BLUE ANGEL (1930) original German language version, which was also CUT in HALF for ON-DEMAND viewers!

THEN FOR ONE MONTH THIS YEAR (April 2018), I noticed No Truncated ON-DEMAND movies (More than made up for by 3 cut short in May 2018! So far)

HOWEVER in March 2018, TCM ran only 8.5 min of THE SNAKE PIT (normal 108 min run time) CUTTING IT BY ALMOST 100 minutes! .

AND in Feb. 2018, TCM Cut THE CHAMP in half.
IN Jan. 2018 they cut a third off of
WINGS OF DESIRE.

AND In Dec. 2017, they cut a few minutes off the end of another movie reported on these boards....
Same has occurred in previous months (and years), though until recently such truncated movies ON-DEMAND had been a relatively "rare" occurrence, appearing maybe once every three months (noticed perhaps 4-5 times a year).
It wasn't until the end of 2017 that I first became aware that
this has turned into a MONTHLY REPEAT ISSUE!
And that is only the movies that I (and a few others here) have actually caught and attempted to post here about!!!

AGAIN (TO REITERATE PART THE PREVIOUS POST)
TCM has long stated that its mission is to only play movies in an UNCUT and commercial-Free format, and in the original theatrical or Roadshow EDITED version whenever that is available.
However it is clearly evident that there are those at TCM which believe that this "rule" does NOT apply when TCM makes these movies AVAILABLE for later ON-DEMAND viewing...

TCM is ignoring the fact that an ever growing number of TCM viewers subscribe to TCM so that they can predominately (if not ever more exclusively) use TCMs highly promoted ON-DEMAND function.
By offering any of these ON-DEMAND movies in such an ABRIDGED and TRUNCATED format, TCM is in effect CUTTING and "re-editing" these movies for their ON-DEMAND subscriber viewers, in total contradiction to TCM's "mission statement" and flagrant disregard for this growing TCM ON-DEMAND membership.

Whether it is caused by error or neglect, THIS IS INEXCUSABLE conduct by TCM...
AND as has been observed and reported in recent months, the appearance of  such Truncated movies  ON-DEMAND, has been reoccurring at an ever more alarming and accelerated frequency. Meaning this problem is becoming worse, and worse, and worse, not better.
Despite the fact that it has been repetitively mentioned in posts and threads within these boards, TCM has totally disregarded implementation of any corrective or preventative measures....

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON TCM....
Is there nobody at TCM that knows or even cares that this is very detrimental to the otherwise "pristine" image that TCM attempts to promote?
Does TCM simply NOT care at all that by NOT implementing any remedial actions and continuing to ignore our pleas that they are Not only frustrating a large chunk of their viewer base but are
alienating us from TCM. 

ANY COMMENT FROM A TCM MODERATOR ABOUT ANY OF THIS???
HOW ABOUT THE MINIMAL COURTESY OF A RESPONSE STATING THAT YOU HAVE NOT ONLY READ OUR CONCERNS BUT HAVE (and ARE) FORWARDING THEM TO TCM????

ANOTHER TRUNCATED MOVIE ON WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND!

JUNE 2018 was a particularly disruptive month for WATCH TCM viewers, with the WATCH TCM "sign-in" undergoing another invasive revamp, along with an almost total WATCH TCM website redesign (sprung on us 6/20/2018).
As result I (and others) watched far fewer movies than I (we) normally would have, and I am no longer actively seeking out which movies that TCM offers that are cut-short.
But when I encounter them I may still take the time to come back here and Update this thread!

However, before the unnecessary "complete" overhaul of the Website I wanted to rewatch another old favorite and, to my dismay, discovered that it had been callously cut-short by TCM!

On Tuesday AM (6/5/2018) BROADCAST THE GREAT ZIEGFELD (1936) musical bio, in its entirety, but offered it ON-DEMAND shortened by the final 28 plus minutes!
The movie abruptly stopped short and after a brief pause a Noir promo ad began.
Note: the "live" broadcast was complete, It Appears that Only the ON-DEMAND TCM subscribers are evidently “deserving” of such carelessly UNMONITORED and CUT-UP Product. 

"Thanks" Again TCM, for Paying Attention to Detail!  :rolleyes:
It only serves to frustrate and alienate your subscriber viewers when you continue to do such "fine" work! :(:angry: