May Schedule Is Up

36 posts in this topic

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-05-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-05-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-05-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-05-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-05-29

Star of the Month (on the 10th, 17th, 24th, and 31st only) is Marlene Dietrich

Robert Osbourne gets a tribute with his Private Screenings and 20th Anniversary Special plus airings of Dodsworth and Laura on May 3rd.

B-movie fans rejoice as Movie Series is the TCM spotlight with giant marathons of the following series: Blondie, Mexican Spitfire, Four Daughters, Maisie, Gildersleeve, Tarzan, Jungle Jim, Bomba, Andy Hardy, Five Little Peppers, Dr. Kildare/Gillespie, Nancy Drew, Miss Marple, Torchy Blane, The Thin Man, Perry Mason, Dick Tracy, Boston Black!e, Bulldog Drummond, The Saint, Lassie, Rusty, and Flipper.

Memorial Day Tribute weekend is back.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I see Chris Markers' Letter From Siberia is scheduled. Really cool and rare. I hope they show Description d'un Combat some day too.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm not getting week one to show up, but that should be corrected soon.

The schedule does that for me sometimes too. It'll probably be fixed in a little bit.

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Wajda's Danton will be premiering. It looks interesting.

220px-DantonPoster.jpg

I liked it quite a bit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm not getting week one to show up, but that should be corrected soon.

Or ... not

As far as I can tell, you can view the schedule by individual days and see every day of the month except May 1.

11 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

As far as I can tell, you can view the schedule by individual days and see every day of the month except May 1.

I've run into that 1st of the month issue before - the trick is to request the weekly for the last day of the previous month:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-04-30

• Thanks 1

I was able to look at the first week by clicking on the “week of” link while on the May 8 week and then clicked on May 1 when the calendar popped up. 

I like some of the series scheduled but I can already predict there will be a lot of complaining posts from people new to the message board. 😉

The insurance scam spotlight sounds interesting. It's been a couple years since I've seen The Fortune Cookie, and I would like to see it again. The Running Man also sounds interesting.

May 15th is Joseph Cotten's birthday tribute. I've seen (and enjoyed) The Third Man and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. I would like to see The Steel Trap, The Man With a Cloak, and Journey Into Fear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

According to Moviecollector's database, no.

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

Thanks for checking. I know they aired on the old AMC, because when I did a Google images search, there were screen shots with the AMC logo. There were twenty films in the series. BLONDIE was a very popular franchise, a huge moneymaker for Columbia.

Some of the studio's young stars had their first supporting roles in the series. Glenn Ford is eighth-billed in BLONDIE PLAYS CUPID; and Rita Hayworth is third-billed in BLONDIE ON A BUDGET.

Hopefully all the von Sternberg films will be shown?

41 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for checking. I know they aired on the old AMC, because when I did a Google images search, there were screen shots with the AMC logo. There were twenty films in the series. BLONDIE was a very popular franchise, a huge moneymaker for Columbia.

Some of the studio's young stars had their first supporting roles in the series. Glenn Ford is eighth-billed in BLONDIE PLAYS CUPID; and Rita Hayworth is third-billed in BLONDIE ON A BUDGET.

There were actually 28 films in the Blondie series running from 1938-1950. I'm ecstatic that TCM is finally playing them. I hope they'll eventually play all 28. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, midnight08 said:

There were actually 28 films in the Blondie series running from 1938-1950. I'm ecstatic that TCM is finally playing them. I hope they'll eventually play all 28. 

Thanks for the clarification. I think TCM is showing six of them, including the one with Rita Hayworth.

I also share your hope the others will eventually air, too.

For me this is the best TCM monthly schedule in ages. My DVR will be running all month. Highlights include many of the B movies such as Blondie, Mexican Spitfire, Tarzan, Andy Hardy and Dr. Kildare. Also all six Thin Man films. Marlene Dietrich is star of the month and among the films TCM will show are the rarely shown Blue Angel, Morocco, Blonde Venus and Desire. Clara Bow actually makes an appearance as well when TCM shows her most famous film "It". Robert Montgomery gets a half day of films on 5/21 and Going Hollywood with Marion Davies and Bing Crosby airs the next day. So many fantastic choices this month. I only hope TCM doesn't cut any of these from their schedule as we come closer to May. It's happened before. 

• Like 3

Well, they're having Danton and The Scarlet Empress right when I'm going to Europe for vacation.  If this was done on the three month instead of the two month alert I wouldn't have this problem.

Was the "Blondie" series an inspiration for "The Jetsons"? If so, maybe it was no coincidence that Penny Singleton was the voice of Jane.

Image result for penny singleton jane jetson

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Was the "Blondie" series an inspiration for "The Jetsons"? If so, maybe it was no coincidence that Penny Singleton was the voice of Jane.

Image result for penny singleton jane jetson

I always thought that The Jetsons was just the futuristic version of The Flintstones.  

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I always thought that The Jetsons was just the futuristic version of The Flintstones.  

Of course, "The Flintstones" was derived from "The Honeymooners" -- just as another Hanna-Barbera animated series --"Top Cat" -- was based on "The Phil Silvers Show."

If you really think about it, "The Jetsons" had a lot in common with "Blondie."

• Like 1

no Hot Spell or The Flame Barrier. 

tcm continues to beat their tired ole fixed film coffer into the ground although there be oodles of movies they could be showing.

do they ever get fresh prints of their pet movies like Doctor Zhivago, north by northwest and Gone with the Wind?

:lol:

How many Mexican Spitfire films are being shown?

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

How many Mexican Spitfire films are being shown?

It looks like 7.

Mexican Spitfire

Mexican Spitfire Out West

Mexican Spitfire's Baby

Mexican Spitfire at Sea

Mexican Spitfire Sees a Ghost

Mexican Spitfire's Elephant

Mexican Spitfire's Blessed Event