Sign in to follow this  
rainingviolets21

through the cigarette smoke...

17 posts in this topic

I watched a very good remake tonight called Young At Heart, and I was apauled at the way everyone smoked incessently, Doris Day carried cigarettes in her pocket and offered them

to everybody and Frank Sinatra chain-smoked throughout the picture, now the most unbelievable

part is as Frank lay dying , he asked for a cigarette with his dying breath, and the doctor nods

Yes...I read at the time this film was made smoking was considered 'good' for you and very often doctors smoked and dentists had ash-trays in their waiting rooms...Now I see why most of the stars I loved died of lung cancer...

I agree - it is tragic that people didn't know the dangers of cigarettes back then or how addictive they could be. Unfortunately that is part of what drew me to old movies in the first place - smoking looked so glamourous to me. I know better now - I kicked the habit after 20 + years of smoking. The cravings still come but they get fewer and farther between (thank goodness). My grandma had to quit to use an oxygen machine due to emphysema, but if her doctor would have let her, she'd have smoked a cigarette with her dying breath too. Sad.....

It was a nasty habit that cost so many (Yul Brynner, Ann Sheridan among others) their lives. We can't look at this thing with twenty-first century eyes, but it did look so glamorous to see Loy & Powell with cigarettes and martinis. Sad. At least we should learn from them.

I wonder how could breathe on those sets? My parents smoked heavily and their health suffered terribly for it. My father-in-law died from emphysema within one year of retirement. I can described his death (he never live long enough to see his grandchildren) in detail and anyone wanting to quit, just ask me.

And while not an actor, as such, let us not forget one of the heaviest smokers of all, Edward R. Murrow, who died of lung cancer, two days after his 57th birthday. If you ever had the good fortune to see him, when he was on television, you'd remember, anytime he'd interview anybody, he'd have a lit cigarette in his hand, and there'd be clouds of cigarette smoke in the air.

I saw a movie recently on TCM, can't remember which one offhand, in which everybody is lighting up and blowing smoke out their noses. I swear that's got to burn.

And then there was this one:

I was 21 when it aired in 1968 and a non-smoker. I knew I had made the right decision.