Sign in to follow this  
Pooters

Wartime love story

6 posts in this topic

We're wrackin' our brains trying to remember the WWII movie about a pilot who flies missions in Europe, has fallen for a French or Italian woman and drops messages to her from his plane. Would appreciate any help.

In the movie Passage to Marseilles, Humphrey Bogart's character drops messages to his wife and son he has never seen from his bomber. The movie is available on DVD. The characters are French, with the wife and son being in France and Bogart's character is now in England flying in bombers after escaping as a political prisoner from Devil's Island.

That's it! Thanks so much. We're also trying to locate the title of another film (Bogart?) about a pilot who has a steamy relationship w/ a woman whose husband was presumed dead. Ironically, the pilot is later assigned a secret mission to transport the woman's husband. Any help?

Re: The second film you mention: This sounds a lot like "Hanover Street," one of Harrison Ford's early films (1977). Lesley-Anne Down is his lover and Christopher Plummer her husband. Way past the Bogart era, though. Peter Hyams wrote and directed it, and I couldn't find any reference to his basing it on an earlier film, though that's a possibility.

Message was edited by: EdisonMcIntyre

The only Bogie flying picture I can think of is called Chain Lightning. I have never seen it and it is not out on DVD. It is one of the few bogie pictures I have not seen yet. Here is the link to that film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042324/

I am sure TCM or some other channel has played it. I just have yet to catch it on TV myself.

"Chain Lighthing" is set in the post-WWII years (contemporary with the film); Bogie plays an ex-bomber jockey who turns to test-piloting jets for aircraft mogul Raymond Massey. Eleanor Parker is "the girl." Not a bad movie for its time. It has been released on VHS, but I don't think it's the movie you're seeking.