Sign in to follow this  
Guest katie

Title of 1930s movie with women doctor

8 posts in this topic

Guest katie

There is a movie that was made in approx 1934 which starred a brunette who played a women doctor. One of the first scenes shows her making a house call and a man says that she can't treat him because she is a women. She goes on to have an affair with a married man, get pregnant and goes overseas to have her baby. The baby dies enroute back home. Can anyone tell me the title of this movie? Thanks Katie

Guest Cat, Maggie the

I've never seen it, but I found Dr. Monica, starring the lovely and talented Kay Fwancis, via an IMDB Power Search. The synopsis sounds about right.

Guest Cat, Maggie the

Oops! Maybe not. Dr. Monica's husband is the one who goes overseas, and the baby, while fathered by her (****) husband, is borne by her friend.

Guest katie

Thanks. I was thinking it was Kay Francis that was in the movie. I will have to see if TCM will show the movie sometimes so I can check it out. Thanks again.

Guest Cat, Maggie the

Cool! I'm surprised my feeble search turned up the right flick. I checked, and it is in the library, but not scheduled at this point. You can request it, though. Hell, at this point, I may request it myselef: My curiousity has been piqued!

Guest katie

Let me know if it is scheduled soon. I am having trouble putting a request in. Thanks

Guest katie

Synopsis I just found the actual movie I was thinking of, but you steered me right with saying it was Kay Francis. I did a search on Google under Kay Francis and it said there were 4 flicks she did portraying a doc. The actual movie was called "Mary Stevens MD" and this is the synopsis. I would love to see this scheduled in the future. How do I go about it? Mary STevens MD: In this melodrama, a female physician encounters professional and personal turmoil when she finds herself having an affair with an alcoholic peer. He impregnates her and she travels to Paris to have the baby in private. As she is returning to the States, the baby dies from infantile paralysis. This does not prevent her from saving the lives of two other children aboard the same ocean liner. When she returns, she discovers that her lover has divorced his wife and wants to marry her. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

Guest Alix

MARY STEVENS, MD is a good movie. You will definitely like it. If you haven't seen DR. MONICA it's a goodie too. Kay Francis made a beautiful doctor!