Sign in to follow this  
dsclassic

Tom Cruise YAY/YEA or NAY/NYET

31 posts in this topic

Another actor found in many movies, but he comes across as a spoiled brat...he does he fit with the classic movie stars

Yea(YAY) or Nay

I give this one a much deserved

NAAAAAYYYY

Tom Cruise, no way! He annoys me. -I don't know why he annoys me, but he does- stinky, stinky.

Now, Tom Hanks may be on his way to 'classic star,' but that's another thread. But, Mr. Hanks as classic star remains to be seen somewhere in the future.

Tom Cruise? No way!

I hate Tom Cruise with a passion.

NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAYNAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

From the time *Top Gun* came out when I was a kid through most of my college years (late 90s) he was my favorite actor. I enjoyed his films a lot but when I saw *Eyes Wide Shut* I started to get turned off. That was a dumb movie with a lame plot and a cop out ending. Then movies like *Magnolia* (one of the only films I?ve ever walked out on) and *Vanilla Sky* (didn?t even have any desire to see this one) put the final nail in the coffin on my infatuation with him. He has also gone completely mental and he will be getting no more of my money at the box office.

Since I have gotten more into classic movies over the past few years (this last year especially) I?ve seen what great acting can be from actors like Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, William Powell, Ronald Colman, Walter Brennan, etc? Compared to them Cruise is an absolute amateur.

A big fat NAY!!! Ok, I never really cared for him, and always thought he was overrated, now I dislike him even more, and I believe he's crazy.

I like Tom Cruise, he is one of the few good actors these days and I enjoy all of his movies. I think that people are just looking for an excuse to hate him. Sure, I don't agree with some of the things that he does but I love his acting and his films.

The test for me about an actor or actress is: how excited am I to see his or her films?

I have to admit that in Tom Cruise's case, I'm not very, not so much for himself as his "artistic" choices.

I'd love to see him do some classic roles, and I could even see him in the Montgomery Clift part in a public television adaption of THE HEIRESS. (the Wyler film is a masterpiece; I'm just saying that if a remake was made, he's got the cynical, pretty-boy looks to pull off Morris)

Instead of doing MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 127, he should also maybe do a Woody Allen movie, and some indie stuff, or is he too far gone as a "movie star" to attempt these?

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

"Instead of doing MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 127, he should also maybe do a Woody Allen movie, and some indie stuff, or is he too far gone as a "movie star" to attempt these?"

I think you hit the Scientologist (nail) on the head with that comment Bronxgirl. I think a lot of celebrities suffer from that. I think of Rocky once telling Adrienne, "I don't wanna lose what I got!" in one of the "Rocky" movies. Then again Tom, Brad and others maybe in a trap; their celebrity is SOOOOOOO big, no one would believe them in roles. Morris maybe "The Heiress" but in a Woody Allen movie?? And I sort of recant that becuz Woody's no longer doing his upper East Side Jewish thaaang.

They may be trapped. A gilded cage is a cage nonetheless.

(Psst! Tell me who DO you get excited about seeing his/her films? A coupla examples please).

I haven't seen Woody's latest works (for several years now) so I'm THRILLED to hear he's branched out from his (to paraphrase Madeline Kahn in BLAZING SADDLES) "Everything beyond New York is KAPUT!" attitudes.

It's this damn relentless 24/7 media; especially the tabloid press (and also television) that in my opinion engages in what could only be called class envy warfare, where they parade the star's million dollar lifestyles around for the "common folk" to be envious over, that fuels this obsessive Brave New World celebrity culture, and makes it hard for these stars who probably really are interested in flexing their dramatic muscles, to hear themelves think and reflect and make wise choices and maybe even live a more low-key existence. Instead, they have to feed the monster, their high salaries have to pay for bodyguards, nannies, publicity, etc. They probably could sing Angela Lansbury's "Little Yellow Bird" from THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. (and with plastic surgery and Botox and all, eternal youth in Hollywood is guaranteed)

Let me see, who gets me going today?. I used to be thrilled at a new Sean Penn film (ever see THE FALCON AND THE SNOWMAN? He's great!) but now I don't keep track of what he's doing, or what anyone is doing nowadays really. I like Johnny Depp; he takes chances, and he's never boring. (Marlon appreciated his talent!) I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Hello,

Yes. I agree. Tom makes too many Mission Impossible sequels. I suggest, Tom hook up with fellow Scientologist John Travolta and make a sequel to Travolta's Battlefield Earth. No...no. Not really. By the way...have you ever been buttonholed by a Scientologist roaming city streets looking for converts to their organization? A couple of decades ago, I was hit up by a Scientologist person. I was **** and I told her Scientology...no, in fact...I told her L. Ron Hubbard sucked as a science fiction writer. I just said that because I was **** off...I never read anything by L. Ron Hubbard. Anyway, for several years after the Scientology thing I was very careful when I opened my mail box. Including, my AOL mail box..."You Have Rattlesnake!"

Jeez...you don't think those Scientology people can trace me through this forum?

The topic...Tom Cruise is okay. I like the way he does that, "Porsche, there's nothing like it..." scene from one of his movies.

Rusty

Again your eloquence is wonderful. You totally expressed it talking of feeding that monster. It might be a Catch-22 for folks. I say again look at the metamorphosis on the reporting of Heath Ledger's death. First sadness and incredulity; then reports of drug abuse...now a grainy video of Ledger in a party room with people doing drugs. Look how Britney has been going downhill and the paparazzi greasing the slope with taunts that she reacts to and then they get THAT on tape.

I know this is a thread about Tom Cruise, but I think he's just too easy a target. Thanxxx for your response.

You ought to catch Woody Allen's "Cassandra's Dream."

I say yea. I like Tom; however, I don't always like his choices in movies. Good actor, not great. And his comments a year or so ago on psychiatry were actually right. He just wasn't articulate about it, not being an expert and having some dyslexia I believe, so he was an easy target on that.

I had some......unusual run-ins with Scientologists when I lived in Hollywood years back.,,,I was corralled at a party by several people who couldn't wait to get me into the fold, but I was (and am) very independent minded and blew them off. (politely) They then told me that Scientology actually helps people to take control of their lives and not (if I remember correctly) be a slave to reactive knee-jerk emotions. That's actually where we all want to be as human beings, but I just felt the way they went about it was rigid in itself; at least, that was my perception of their system.

I recommend the underrated sleeper TICKET TO HEAVEN.

Thank you, CM.

I had never heard of Heath Ledger before BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN and thought he was very charismatic in that part. (and I couldn't believe he was actually so young) And now he's just tab-fodder. According to these "magazines" I thumb through at the checkout counter (let's face it, we all do, don't we?) it seems Britney Spears is some metatasized trailer park devil's spawn. Second only to her is Lindsay Lohan, followed by "TomKat" (Cruise and Holmes) and Brangelina.

Makes me long for CONFIDENTIAL, when Bob Mitchum was caught with a joint.

I'll check out that Woody film.

I have made a point of not buying any magazine with Heath Ledger exploitation cover- what ever the reasons for his tragic death- our culture has gone completely out of control when it comes to exploiting celebrity misery- and seriously does anyone care about Britney , Paris or those creepy Olsen twins?

I'm convinced it is not the public who is really interested in these people, but this super-exploitive media is ramming them down our throats. For the life of me I don't understand why they're stirring up the them vs. us pot: "they" have wealth, fame and money, and "we" don't. I just don't get it.

I love Michael Keaton in BEETLEJUICE and MR. MOM. ("how'd you like a little trim on that moustache, Ron?")

coopsgirl wrote: From the time Top Gun came out when I was a kid through most of my college years (late 90s) he was my favorite actor. I enjoyed his films a lot but when I saw Eyes Wide Shut I started to get turned off. That was a dumb movie with a lame plot and a cop out ending. Then movies like Magnolia (one of the only films I?ve ever walked out on) and Vanilla Sky (didn?t even have any desire to see this one) put the final nail in the coffin on my infatuation with him. He has also gone completely mental and he will be getting no more of my money at the box office.

coopsgirl, what you wrote above fits into a theory of mine regarding certain actors and their appeal. The boyish-looking ones, like Cruise and DiCaprio, seem to have a greater appeal to the younger fans, girls in particular. I think this is because, regardless their true age, they look young and non-threatening, whereas actors like DeNiro (or Bogart or Gable from the classic era) have an inherently masculine appearance that could be overpowering to someone young. I also think this is one of the reasons Johnny Depp adopts the bearded, sloppy look when not working as without it he looks quite young and fresh.

As for Tom Cruise -- I never was a fan. Always thought he was highly overrated.

Di