Sign in to follow this  
kennethlawson

Cars in Movies

28 posts in this topic

I thought a thread about cars in movies might be interesting,

Asking about what kind of car was in a certain movie year, model ect

To start it off I am watching cagnay's On Two Three, In the opening hes riding the back of a big Mercedes, I was wondering if anyone knows what model and year that car is?

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

One of the best showcase movies for cars that I have seen is "Back Street" with Susan Hayward. If you are a fan of late 50's and early 60's cars then you want to watch it if only for that reason.

If you consider yourself an "old car fan", you need to check out the parking lot where William Powell keeps his trailer in " Double Wedding". Notice the Terraplane ? How about the Graham ? When was the last time that you saw a Cadillac convertable sedan being driven with the top down (by Myrna Loy in this case) ???? I'm still trying to id the exact series (year) of the Packard roadster that Bill Powell uses to haul his trailer with. I "think" that it is a '27 or '28 Eight. Any other guesses ???

Oh boy...I could list about 200 films on this topic...LOL

I'll have to think on this and get back to you......................

I love watching old Warner Brother films as they were just sick with buicks! Even in Casablanca, the Nazi's drive up in 1940 Buicks! The Falcon series has a lot of early 40's Buick convertibles as well. I think one has a 1942 buick Conv, very rare as that was a very short production year....

"Bullitt" is 1 of my favorite Steve McQueen films, & remember the car chase sequences through the streets of downtown San Francisco!! Bullitt drives in a dark "Highland Green" 1968 Ford Mustang G.T.390 Fastback!!

James Bond always has the coolest cars- I love the one that turns into a submarine from " The Spy Who Loved Me"

Poincana:

According to IMDB, "The automobile driven by Tippi Hedren is an Aston Martin DB2/4 drop-head coupe."

Thanks so much SCSU!

Every time we watch The Birds there's this big question mark even tho my hubby knows a lot abt cars.

I love the the driving to Bodega Bay scene where the lovebirds' tilt their little bodies with the curves in the road....

Great thread! Two of my favorite movie cars are the "Leslie Special" and the "Hannibal 8" as driven respectively by Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in "The Great Race".

IMDb states that both cars on display at the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angles, but I'm only able to confirm the fate of Fate's car: http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?DocID=1008&cat=Hollywood%20Gallery&ExhibitID=247&index=3

Can you imagine driving to work each morning in the Hannibal 8?

I was living in Oakland and working in 'Frisco when "Bullitt" was being filmed. The Dodge Charger was "showroom stock", but the Mustang had been beefed to handle the stress. Under the hood was a 427 "side oiler". I have no idea where the origional is today, but Ford is pushing a 2008 version at BIG bucks ..... FYI.. Steve did some of his own driving in this, including, as rumor had it at the time, the scene where he avoids the kid who had just dumped his bike......

I have a book that you folks might like to try to find,; Its called "Cars of the Stars"

By George Barris & Jack Scagnetti copy write 1974, Jonathan David Publishers Middle Village NY 11379 It has tons of pictures and information about cars fom both tv and movie and a very nice set of color plates in the middle of the book.

By George Barris & Jack Scagnetti copy write 1974, Jonathan David Publishers Middle Village NY 11379 It has tons of pictures and information about cars fom both tv and movie and a very nice set of color plates in the middle of the book.

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

In the movie" Vertigo" Last night I couldn't place the big car he was driving, at first I thought it was a Rolls , but now I think it was a Jaguarar, and I think I saw her in some kind a Volkswagen, like a Carigiamgia, so something like that with the rear engine, and small front grill.

I think Stewart drove something as simple as a De Soto (or similar car.) It had big those big fins and regular sedan type look to it.

You maybe closer on Novak's car being a Jaguar. Just for your info the VW you mention it is a Karman Ghia.

Here is one that is too new but you get the idea.

vw_6401.JPG

Kim's car was almost defiantly the vw karma Gina, I knew I spelled it wrong.. WE had a VW Squarback, when I was kid, so I am somewhat familiar with the older vw lines,,, Thee was also a Fastback model simlier to the Squarback, As for the Jag, it kind of looks like one of the older models of Rolls, But, On a close up I saw the hood orimatnt and it looked like a jag type, cat, low and flat.

null