Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

THE BEST MAN (1964) - as perfect as ADVISE & CONSENT is awful

20 posts in this topic

Perhaps there is a "washington genre" (all black and white, all 1960's) that we need to "festival."

ADVISE AND CONSENT - educational  but excruciating, miserable ending, and a trail of tears throughout.

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE - so terrifyingly Freudian it's terrific! A thrill ride, a horror story, and a nightmare (literally) come true!

THE BEST MAN (1964) --- everything that the other films are not.

FINE STAR PERFORMANCES ALL AROUND

EASY TO UNDERSTAND

THRILLING CONFLICT IN JUST ABOUT EVERY SCENE

A HAPPY ENDING

and, best of all, no ENGLISH ACTORS playing American politicians.

seven days in may and the best man should both be remade with different endings...

joe cantwell gets the nomination and general scott's coup comes off without a hitch.

:D

• Thanks 1

in advise & consent I find the whole business of don murray's character being gay a total complete distraction but charles laughton in his last film is a hoot as seabright cooley, whattaname.

our current potus could sure use a guy like that.

Image result for charles laughton advise & consent

6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

in advise & consent I find the whole business of don murray's character being gay a total complete distraction but charles laughton in his last film is a hoot as seabright cooley, whattaname.

our current potus could sure use a guy like that.

Image result for charles laughton advise & consent

Don Murray's character was not gay; he was bisexual.

His character was not a distraction but the Crux of the whole plot.

What happens to Don Murray's character is all about what's wrong with politics, and what's wrong with Cutthroat competition and blind ambition. What's wrong with cookie cutter lives for human beings - - what's wrong with conformity-- what's wrong with trying to murder a human being's individuality.

The scenes in around the gay bar are by far the best ones in the whole movie. They seem more realistic with a cinema verité feel and not as stagey as the Congressional scenes.

Don Murray's suicide is the build-up to the final climax of the movie.

***Charles Laughton is a lot of fun and a life-sized Ham. He may be the real distraction in this movie, being the hopeless scene stealer that he was.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I love  "Advise And Consent", "Seven Days In May" as well as "The Best Man".

Don Murray's character was based on a true story:The novel’s plot turns on the blackmailing of Brigham Anderson, a young senator from Utah whose wartime homosexual affair, once exposed by extreme proponents of the nominee for State, leads the senator to shoot himself inside his office on a Sunday afternoon. The episode was suggested by the actual suicide of Senator Lester Hunt of Wyoming in 1954, and its treatment perhaps conditioned by Drury’s own rumored homosexuality.

By the way, in 1963, Cliff Robertson portrayed John F. Kennedy in the movie "PT 109".  

In 1964, he portrayed Richard Nixon in the movie "The Best Man", however, I wonder if the character Joe Cantwell is meant to resemble Robert Kennedy, who hated Gore Vidal!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

I love  "Advise And Consent", "Seven Days In May" as well as "The Best Man".

Don Murray's character was based on a true story:The novel’s plot turns on the blackmailing of Brigham Anderson, a young senator from Utah whose wartime homosexual affair, once exposed by extreme proponents of the nominee for State, leads the senator to shoot himself inside his office on a Sunday afternoon. The episode was suggested by the actual suicide of Senator Lester Hunt of Wyoming in 1954, and its treatment perhaps conditioned by Drury’s own rumored homosexuality.

By the way, in 1963, Cliff Robertson portrayed John F. Kennedy in the movie "PT 109".  

In 1964, he portrayed Richard Nixon in the movie "The Best Man",

*however, I wonder if the character Joe Cantwell is meant to resemble Robert Kennedy, who hated Gore Vidal!*

*Gore Vidal had somewhat of a "family relationship" with Jackie Kennedy. Both of them were step-children to Hugh Auchincloss--

Each of their mothers married him the second time around.

There was love and hate between these two groups and it may have had more to do with family than politics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for all the background on ADVISE AND CONSENT!

Gore Vidal DEFINITELY hated Bobby Kennedy IRL, who took pleasure in insulting him when their paths crossed.

I think ADVISE AND CONSENT (among its many problems) was ruined by having ENGLISH movie stars

(Charles Laughton, Peter Lawford) portray elected American Congressmen!

It's also hilarious showing Charles Laughton LEERING at attractive young women in one scene! Who do the writers think they are fooling?

Of course, MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is supposed to be "horror", but it's still WAY CREEPY to have stars of this "American" political movie ENGLISH (Lawrence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, and John McGiver)

9 minutes ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Gore Vidal DEFINITELY hated Bobby Kennedy IRL, who took pleasure in insulting him when their paths crossed.

I think ADVISE AND CONSENT (among its many problems) was ruined by having ENGLISH movie stars

It's also hilarious showing Charles Laughton LEERING at attractive young women in one scene! Who do the writers think they are fooling?

Of course, MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is supposed to be "horror", but it's still WAY CREEPY to have stars of this "American" political movie ENGLISH (Lawrence Harvey, Angela Landsbury, and John McGiver)

Some Americans did come from England.    

2 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

It's also hilarious showing *Charles Laughton LEERING at attractive young women in one scene! Who do the writers think they are fooling?

Of course, MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is supposed to be "horror", but it's still WAY CREEPY to have stars of this "American" political movie ENGLISH (Lawrence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, and John McGiver)

Papy-- I don't understand your comment about *Charles Laughton. Laughton was a great actor and that's What actors do-- they fool people on stage and on screen.

You didn't really think that he was Quasimodo too, did you?

• Like 1

Longtime character player Lee Tracy-(l898-68) earned a s. actor shot

Got almost got blocked back around '34 shooting *Berry's 1934 bio"Viva Villa!" (****-stars) at M-G-pm) when Lee was sooo loaded again & actually **** on a below marching band)

RE- Charles Laughton---love him to death, of course.

But in this MOVIE (ADVISE AND CONSENT) i just don't feel he belongs.

This is on the one hand, an esoteric, very confusing film, based on a similar book which tries to ENCOMPASS the minutiae of Congress. Silly, of course.

but----There is nothing "cute" about this story.

And Laughton is always "cute."

Throwing Peter Lawford into the mix as well is just simply NAUSEATING.

I personally love ADVISE & CONSENT and thought Charles Laughton was brilliant as always. 

It was his last film too. There have certainly been worst swan songs for actors/actresses (TROG-Joan Crawford, anyone?).

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I personally love ADVISE & CONSENT and thought Charles Laughton was brilliant as always. 

It was his last film too. * There have certainly been worst swan songs for actors/actresses (TROG-Joan Crawford, anyone?).

* When you bring this up, I just think it's a shame what happens to some people in the end.

For example, Ray Milland had such a versatile and distinguished career-- from the Oscar for The Lost Weekend, to his strong ability in romantic comedies, to a starring role in a Hitchcock movie. So you probably know where I'm going with this. Then near the end of his movie career he gets involved with stuff like Frogs and that Two-Headed Thing with Roosevelt Grier--it was rather a sad film  for Oscar winner Milland, but not a bad move for a beginner like Roosevelt Grier, a retired football player.

BTW--Charles Laughton was one of the stars in Tyrone Power's last film, Witness for the Prosecution, A first-rate Billy Wilder production.

Sometimes when you die before your time as a movie star it's a little better for your screen image-- Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, or John Garfield.

Otherwise you may end up playing a parody of yourself, like John Barrymore.

On 3/19/2018 at 2:10 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

but it's still WAY CREEPY to have stars of this "American" political movie ENGLISH (Lawrence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, and John McGiver)

Laurence Harvey was born in Lithuania, though later moved to England

Angela Lansbury was born in England but moved to America when she was 15

John McGiver was American born, in New York City, he just talked "posh"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Laurence Harvey was born in Lithuania, though later moved to England

Angela Lansbury was born in England but moved to America when she was 15

John McGiver was American born, in New York City, he just talked "posh"

It's been awhile since I've seen it,  but I think Margaret Leighton was Henry Fonda's wife in The Best Man.

I can't recall if she was playing English or American.

If you play the part well, it doesn't matter what you are in real life.

For example, For my money Australian-born Dame Judith Anderson was the best rich Southern matron in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof that I've ever seen in any movie.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 2:58 PM, NipkowDisc said:

seven days in may and the best man should both be remade with different endings...

joe cantwell gets the nomination and general scott's coup comes off without a hitch.

Ya know Nip, I was just thinkin' here that while you'd love to see these alternate or in fact completely opposite endings to these two films and in order to achieve a "happier ending" to them in your estimation, I'll bet my bottom dollar that you wouldn't change the ending of Advise and Consent, and where Don Murray's gay(or bi) freshman Senator character shoots himself, one little iota from how THAT movie turns out, huh! ;)

(...oh, I dunno, it was just somethin' that came to me here, that'll all)

LOL

Wow, what a lively topic for my return to the Boards.

Don't let this happen to you.  While installing a new printer last month my very old computer blew up from the strain.  A friend of a friend tried to repair it for a couple of weeks but to no avail.  No, I was too stupid to use backup.  I used his laptop to order this one and just got it last night.  So far I can get my e-mails, YouTube and the Boards but it very complicated.  I guess I'll have to learn as I go.  This one was a steal and all I have to do is add a printer which I'll do later.  

The Drury books were much better than Advise and Consent which really ticked me off.  The funny thing is I was so sheltered I had no idea until much later what Brig did that was so bad he felt led to suicide.  The Best Man and Manchurian Candidate are great and yes I can see parallels to our current state of affairs.  I'm wanting to see Seven Days in May as people seem to think "it can happen here".  I'm beginning to come to that "nothing will surprise me anymore" thought.

>>>>as to Margaret Leighton, Fonda's long-suffering wife in THE BEST MAN, it's immediately pointed out by

the Ann Sothern character that she is ENGLISH, and that will upset the voters.

So she is not "flying under the radar" like so many other actors in these films.

Thanks for pointing out the ORIGIN of the actors in MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE! I appreciate it.

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY is one of the WEIRDEST stories ever told, with Burt Lancaster totally INSANE.

it's lots of fun.

In the WILD AND STRANGE commentary track to ADVISE AND CONSENT, all the changes from the novel are pointed out by Drew Casper, especially the suicide of Don Murray....in the book, he was mourned. In the film, he's forgotten.