Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

"Cucumber" and "Banana"

4 posts in this topic

I'm in London at the moment. The gay-themed series Cucumber and Banana have been highly recommended to me, so I bought the DVDs. Haven't watched them yet, but they seem promising. They were on Logo, but were not successful in the U.S. A third series is Tofu. Has anyone seen these shows?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Swithin said:

I'm in London at the moment. The gay-themed series Cucumber and Banana have been highly recommended to me, so I bought the DVDs. Haven't watched them yet, but they seem promising. They were on Logo, but were not successful in the U.S. A third series is Tofu. Has anyone seen these shows?

I remember the promos on Logo during the run of their boy bachelorette show a couple of years ago. I blush to admit I ended up watching the dating show but passed on Cucumber (or was it Banana?) after watching the first episode. The promos had already suggested to me that the series were too blatantly obvious, with all that whacking of the titular fruits and vegetables, so maybe I didn't give it a chance when I actually watched an episode. I liked the idea that it was inclusive age-wise and I know from experience that checking out butts and baskets in the local market never goes away with age. I'm also a fan of all three manifestations of the appendage in question, but somehow I wasn't moved to commit. I've thought about it occasionally since it's been off the air, so it did leave an impression of sorts. I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts when you get around to watching the DVDs. 

One of the reasons that drew me to these series is that they were written by Russell T. Davies, the author of the brilliant British Queer as Folk series, perhaps the landmark series in gay television drama. I remember getting excited when I heard there would be an American version. I signed up for Showtime and, after a couple of episodes, cancelled. I hated the American version; typical American television soap opera, with no resemblance to the British masterpiece created by Mr. Davies.

• Like 2