Sign in to follow this  
drdoolittle

YOur favorite and least favorite by your favorite movie star

38 posts in this topic

The only Abbott & Costello movie I did not like was

One Night in the Tropics only because they werent on the screen long enough....it wasnt starring them

Most of the others I like a lot or just really am enthralled...

The least of my favorites probably is Captain Kid, Jack and the Beanstalk and Africa Screams...and I tend to be in agreement as they are public domain titles that none of the major studios wanted...however I think Warner Bros is going to release them

Message was edited by: TripleHHH

James Cagney

Best: G Men

Worst: Blood on the Sun

Humphrey Bogart

Best: Casablanca

Worst: Dead Reckoning

Really interesting choices for Cagney. I wouldn't have ever figured someone would say G-Men is a best Cagney movie. Im happy someone did :) Thats really cool. Id say many would have picked White Heat, or Roaring 20s or something like that, maybe even Yankee Doodle Cagney..G-Men is really good though.

I will mention that I love Dead Reckoning and to me its very underrated, has a good cast, Bogart and Lizebeth Scott. I thoroughly enjoy this one, a real find for me when I was shopping.

Anyway, tastes vary :) I was surprised to see Dead Reckoning as a least favorite Bogie. I know its not his very best, but I was shocked to see it mentioned as a worst

Thats what makes this thread so much fun : ) !

I'm only counting leading player roles - early supporting roles don't count.

Gary Cooper:

Favorite: BALL OF FIRE (1942), MR DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936) and SERGEANT YORK (1941) - tie

Least Favorite: BRIGHT LEAF (1950)

Clark Gable:

Favorite: GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)

Least Favorite: PARNELL (1937)

William Powell:

Favorite: MY MAN GODFREY (1936)

Least Favorite: THE GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING (1953)

Errol Flynn:

Favorite: THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE (1936) and CAPTAIN BLOOD (1935) - tie

Least Favorite: CUBAN REBEL GIRLS (1959) - duh!

Ronald Colman:

Favorite: LOST HORIZON (1937)

Least Favorite: can't really judge as I've only seen about half of his films

Tyrone Power:

Favorite: THE RAINS CAME (1939) and THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946) - tie

Least favorite: A YANK IN THE RAF (1941) - not bad...but a bit slow for my taste

Rudolph Valentino:

Favorite: THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1921)

Least Favorite: MONSIEUR BEAUCLAIRE (1924)

Dana Andrews:

Favorite: BOOMERANG! (1947) and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946) - tie

Least Favorite: probably one of his movies from the 60's...but I can't decide which one

Laurence Olivier:

Favorite: REBECCA (1940), WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939) and SLEUTH (1972) - tie

Least Favorite: WESTWARD PASSAGE (1932)

James Cagney:

Favorite: YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1943)

Least Favorite: THE FIGHTING 69TH (1940) - I don't buy Cagney as a whiner - not even for a moment!

Humphrey Bogart:

Favorite: CASABLANCA (1942) and THE AFRICAN QUEEN (1951) - tie

Least Favorite: SWING YOUR LADY (1938)

Barbara Stanwyck:

Favorite: BALL OF FIRE (1942) and DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)

Least Favorite: SO BIG (1932) - zzzzzzzzz

Myrna Loy:

Favorite: THE THIN MAN (1934)

Least Favorite: STAMBOUL QUEST (1934)

Olivia deHavilland:

Favorite: CAPTAIN BLOOD (1935) and THE HEIRESS (1949)

Least Favorite: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (1962) - not bad, just 'meh'

pktrekgirl writes..."Least Favorite: BRIGHT LEAF (1950)."

Why do you dislike Bright Leaf so much?

I love the tension between Gary and Patricia Neal.

Patricia Neal uses him and he is so oblivious to it.

Lauren Bacall is his true love but it's too late.

Yeah, I can be a sentimental slob.

I loved the movie but, as they say, each to his own...

Hi PKTREKGIRL: "Favorite: BOOMERANG! (1947) and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946) - tie

Least Favorite: probably one of his movies from the 60's...but I can't decide which one."

Well...you can start with "HOT RODS TO HELL." I love Dana & Jeanne Crain together; I love seeing them together again from "State Fair" to "Madison Avenue" but then "Hot Rods..." whew! What a stinker. But I guess it was relevant to the theme of movies back in the 60's...

Well, I don't dislike BRIGHT LEAF. In fact, I don't dislike any Gary Cooper films. But of the ones where he had a leading role (which are the only ones I counted in my analysis - it's not really fair, IMO, to pick a film where the person had a small role) it is the one I liked least.

In truth, I think it is one of the few characters Gary Cooper ever played who wasn't an entirely likable individual!

I don't like disliking his characters - it puts me too much at odds with the fact that I pretty much worship HIM! :P

Hi CineMaven -

I agree with you about Dana Andrews' films with Jeanne Craine - I quite like MADISON AVENUE...even though it is one of his later films. But those borderline scifi/horror films he did later on...meh. I couldn't decide which one I liked least.

The bottom line is that I much prefer his work from the 1940's and early 1950's. I love all of those Fox noirs...and that one film he made with Tyrone Power - CRASH DIVE (1943) is vastly underrated.

pktrekgirl writes..."In truth, I think it is one of the few characters Gary Cooper ever played who wasn't an entirely likable individual."

Well, I can understand Gary in this role...

He comes from a poor background, the wrong side of the tracks, and through grit and determination, a Gary Cooper Hallmark, he rises to the top only to be devastated by Patricia Neal's aristocratic machinations.

The film is truly one of ambition and money and love and how all that can disappoint in the end.

Thanks for the response and the other posts...

Paul Newman - Favorite - "The Hustler", Least Favorite - "The Silver Chalice" (this is

the movie he took an ad in the paper apologizing for :)

Hedy Lamarr:

Favorite: Dishonored Lady: i love the plot and mood of this film and Hedy is hotter than a supernova.

Least Favorite: Tortilla Flat: way, way too much Spencer Tracy, his dialogue is cheesy and annoying. Not enough screentime for the austrian angel so i must say boo hiss. I am impressed that MGM would even consider Hedy for a Hemingway film.

I wouldn't say FORCE OF EVIL is my least favorite John Garfield movie, but is is indeed the oddest. The dialogue is like bad blank verse. It's unbeleivable and gets in the way of the plot line.

Another strange item...it's the only film I can remember where the women's hats were given designer credit, yet the two female leads never wear their hats...they carry them. Was that a momentary fashion push that never took off?

I do like the atmosphere of the film, but it does seem like it takes place in an alternate universe.