spence

Your all-time favorite's in comedies?

Your all-time favs in comedies-(stars & films)?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What are your A #1 7 more all-time favorite's in comedy???

• Modern Times, Chaplin, Keaton, Marx Bros, Three Stooges, W.C. Fields, Stan & 0llie & A & C
    • City Lights, A Night at the 0pera" "Duck Soup" "Dr. strangelove" *"Annie Hall"
    • Bring Up Baby His Girl Friday Sullivan's Travels It's A Gift

10 posts in this topic

:wub: (*-denotes an AMPAS winner)

My personal top ten all-time fav. movies-(aka dvd time capsule & not of course especially the best, just my favourites listed here)

1st place *The Godfather (l90l-80) Trilogy"-(non theatrical release from '92)

2nd "Kane" (believe the hype, but a very personal note to WR Hearst is involved & most have no idea what "Rosebud" really meant? Don't know how *0rson found out above this very pvt thing though?)

3rd 'Captains Courageous" (l937 M-G-M) (*Tracy's greatest role, though ultra close w/"Black Rock" & "Inherit the Wind" He wrote in his diary it was his fav though)

4th *"Casablanca" (l943-WBV's) (whats left to say???  Only that I once had a marvelous shot of him & Ingrid sitting on some stairs & he literally had block shoes on, due to barely hitting 5'8 & she was about 5'9 & 1/2))

5th fav. "Modern Times" (l936-UA) (barely vote for this over "CL" (l931) due to his beautiful music "SMILE")

& "Dumbo" (l941-Disney/RKO Radio. Almost all critics include at least 1 *Walt Disney animated feature, mostly "Pinocchio"(*Spielberg's #1)

& all-time fav. motion picture actors>

1 *Spencer Tracy (l900-l967)

2 *Frank Sinatra (l9l5-98)-(NOTE: Both above *Tracy & *The Chairman" my idols too!)

3. *James Cagney-(1899-l986)

4. Steve McQueen (l930-80)m (limited actor, but my childhood hero & "King of Movie Cool")

& 5th *Charles (Spencer) Chaplin-(l889-l977) (he truly deserved to be AFI';s 100yres...100 Stars":99 survey as 1st place?)

Actresses:

Natalie Wood-(l938-l98l) (very personal choice!)

2. Greta Garbo-(l905-90)

3. *Katharine Hepburn (l907-2003)

4. Winona Ryder (l97l-) (I know most will laugh, but there it is)

5th fav Michelle Pfeiffer (l958-)

& Barbara Stanwyck (l907-90) (not only a great overall actress, but one cool lady too!)

& Best-(favorite) Directors ever:

*1st place *John Ford-(l895-l973)-(all time *Oscar winning champ w/4 BD victories!)

2. Allred Hitchcock (l899-l980) (was give AFI Award, but no &Academy Award?)

3rd Howard hawks-(1896-l977)-(thesole filmmaker that coulkd handle evey film genre! )

4.Orson Welles (l9l5-85)

RHANK YU TO THE REST TCMITES, PLEASE JOIN IN

How could I 4-get "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break" "The General" & "Seven Chances"  PLUS, though a comedy-drama 1979's "Manhattan"

Also given I've been a card-drying fan club members since 1985  I even rank Ralph & Norton BARELY ahead of Laurel & Olivier-(the latter being one of Gleason's heroes, plus Jack 0akie) above those dymamic duo's of the silver-screen

Some of my favorite comedies:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Fire Sale
The In-Laws
The Odd Couple
Where's Poppa?
Harold & Maude
What's Up, Doc?
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
To Be or Not to Be (with Jack Benny)
Blazing Saddles
Airplane!
Some Like it Hot
Monkey Business
No Time for Sergeants

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Some of my favorite comedies:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Fire Sale
The In-Laws
The Odd Couple
Where's Poppa?
Harold & Maude
What's Up, Doc?
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
To Be or Not to Be (with Jack Benny)
Blazing Saddles
Airplane!
Some Like it Hot
Monkey Business
No Time for Sergeants

Just curious,  but are you not a fan of 30's comedies, and \ or romantic-comedies? Also,  what about 30s screwball comedies? 

I believe the earliest film in your list is Arsenic and Old Lace.

58 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just curious,  but are you not a fan of 30's comedies, and \ or romantic-comedies? Also,  what about 30s screwball comedies? 

I believe the earliest film in your list is Arsenic and Old Lace.

I suppose it depends on which Monkey Business he means. I took it to mean the Marx Brothers movie from 1931.

Hey, there's at least a Lubitsch in there. I'm a fan of 1930s + comedies, certainly. Keaton, Stan & Laurel, Harold Lloyd, WC Fields, Chaplin, Preston Sturges. Marx Bros, Ritz Bros, Red Skelton, Bowery Boys, Carole Lombard, Keystone Cops, Charlie Chase, Mack Sennett, Hal Roach, Little Rascals, Three Stooges.

Seen 'em in droves. I just can't rattle them off the top of my head as being "favorites-that-I-often-reflect-on-how-how-much-they-are-favorites-of-mine". Whereas all the others, have a place in my heart as well as my head. I don't even have to hesitate for a moment when compiling a list of 'em.

p.s. the 'Monkey Business' is the one from Howard Hawks.

• Thanks 2

Actually, let me add some more while I'm at it.

Babs Stanwyck in 'Ball of Fire'
Babs Stanwyck in 'Lady of Burlesque'.

The original 'Front Page' starring Adolf Menjou and Pat O'Brien.

'The Thin Man'. Or some other Powell/Loy romps.

'My Man Godfrey' of course, 'Bringing Up Baby' and 'His Girl Friday' (obviously).

'The Women'

'Nothing Sacred' (--he Caroled)

'Paper Moon' and 'What's Up Doc?' from Bogdonavich.

'I Was a Male War Bride'...'Operation Petticoat'...'Mister Roberts'...'The Lady Eve'...'The Palm Beach Story'

But y'know the thing with many films from WC Fields or Stan/Laurel is that while I relish certain sequences in their products; their movies as a whole can lack 'finish'. The "kumquats' hilarity in 'The Bank Dick' for example, or the bit where Fields is trying to sleep late on an outside balcony--my favorites; yet the movie(s) wrapped around these wonderful 'bits of business' seems half-composed.

• Like 2

'The King of Hearts' starring Alan Bates!

(swatting self on forehead)

Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder in 'The Producers'

'Pillow Talk' with Hudson, Randall, and Day (the only one of their pairings I like)