Sign in to follow this  
JamesStewartFan95

You Watched TCM Where?

17 posts in this topic

Where is the strangest place you have ever watched TCM or classic movies in general? Have you ever watched it while intoxicated? I recently watched TCM (They were showing On Your Toes) while in the dentist chair getting a routine checkup! Anybody else have any weird TCM-watching experiences?

Strangest place for me would probably be in the dentist's chair too during a dental cleaning. The hygienist gave me the remote and told me "anything but news". There was a TCM Joe E. Brown tribute going on and 1929's "On with the Show" was on, so I turned to that channel. She never gave me the remote again in subsequent visits. I believe this happened in July 2009, and I'm pretty sure I posted about it here shortly after it happened.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

Strangest place for me would probably be in the dentist's chair too during a dental cleaning. The hygienist gave me the remote and told me "anything but news". There was a TCM Joe E. Brown tribute going on and 1929's "On with the Show" was on, so I turned to that channel. She never gave me the remote again in subsequent visits. I believe this happened in July 2009, and I'm pretty sure I posted about it here shortly after it happened.

I actually like Joe E. Brown, in general I try to collect anything he is in.  There have been some stinkers though, in particular the ones produced by David E. Lowe.

Not to top your experience, but I will never think of Yanni the same.  Last I listened to him was during a particularly lengthy and unusual MRI scan back some eight years ago.

Just got back from a road trip, but no highly unusual movie viewing locations.

• Like 1

Not the strangest place, but surprising;

The skilled nursing center my wife was in recently( she's home for the time being) had TCM in their room TVs service.  Which IS new.  She was there a year ago and it wasn't available at that time.  

Sepiatone

I watched “Suddenly Last Summer” on TCM a few years back while getting some dental work done. The dentist gave me headphones and TV Glasses and the remote so I could watch whatever I wanted. 

So, SPEED, I guess under the circumstances, MARATHON MAN was out of the question? ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Well, this must be the new wave as I too have watched TCM while in the dental chair. My dentist though gives you earphones so I could watch all the Joe E. Brown flicks I want if possible.

Can you imagine watching "Marathon Man" with the dental scene that brings to mind experiments with Josef Mengele while having dental work done?

I also have watched TCM at my car dealership. The morons there supposedly always put on the same dang channel on in the waiting room, day after day and I would invariably end up sitting there with three strangers watching that horribly loud "Let's Make a Deal" every time. Then, my primary car physician commiserated with my issue and told me where they hid the remote in the waiting room. The next time I was there, I stole it and secreted it under the pages of the day's newspaper. It was from the same cable company I had so I knew how to change channels. Right as they went to commercial I switched the channel to TCM to a nice Bogart movie. I looked around innocently at the faces of the zombies in the waiting room and they all looked a bit perplexed, but you know how people are. They will accept anything. I had a nice time watching this great b&w movie and when I was leaving switched the channel back to Headline News.

I also have watched TCM in the back of a limo going to a catered affair. TCM goes well with champagne!

Oh, lordie! That scene with Jack Nicholson doing his best Walter Denton/Richard Crenna imitation still cracks me up today!

I don't think I would enjoy any movie scene with dental tools, now that I think about it.

Yikes!

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Little Shop Of Horrors would be great dental chair viewing, no?

DON'T STOP NOW!!!

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Little Shop Of Horrors would be great dental chair viewing, no?

Now I have that lyric from the 1986 movie musical version stuck in my head: "Son, you'll be a dentist! You have a talent for causing things PAIN!"

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

TCM goes well with champagne!

Does it go well with regular wine?

/ducking

I was once at an airport bar while waiting to board my flight when I noticed that the TV there had been tuned to TCM.

And not surprisingly, I was the only one laughing at the thought of how ironic it was that Zero Hour! was the movie playing on it at the time.

(...hmmm...or was it The High and the Mighty???)

;)

• Haha 1

AND, if you believe THAT one...

I was once at the North Pole(in a little igloo of course) and found the TV set THERE was ALSO tuned to TCM.

AND once again, I was the only one laughing(which only makes sense of course, because I was the only one IN that little igloo) when I thought how ironic it was to see Jimmy Cagney utter that famous line of his at the end of White Heat!

;)

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

AND, if you believe THAT one...

I was once at the North Pole(in a little igloo of course) and found the TV set THERE was ALSO tuned to TCM.

AND once again, I was the only one laughing(which only makes sense of course, because I was the only one IN that little igloo) when I thought how ironic it was to see Jimmy Cagney utter that famous line of his at the end of White Heat!

;)

And too, there probably are some that'll claim Cagney stole that line from SANTA CLAUS!  :blink:

Anyway.....

I used to go every year on a canoeing excursion with the same bunch of guys, just spending eight to nine hours floating down the Rifle River in North Central Michigan in various states of chemically, organically and alcohol altered minds.  And every year, some guy would make the crack about getting ready for the trip by watching "Deliverance" the night before. ;)

Sepiatone

Absolutely BEST place to watch TCM  - my Laundromat.

It has 2 big screen tv-sets, and I don't get TCM at home, so going there is always a classic film event.

Last one was Robert Taylor in THE CONSPIRATOR, really fun to watch him playing a Commie stooge when IRL, he was testifying before Congress about how horrible Communism is.

Love Taylor!!!!