[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

June Schedule is Up! Leslie Howard SOTM

40 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Wow,  again after only 6 years?     Hey,  Leslie Howard is my favorite actor,  so I'm all for this,  but I'm surprised. 

Not a lot of stars get to be SOTM twice.  

Looking over the schedule, I'm interested in Leslie Howard.  I don't know much about him other than Gone With the Wind and The Petrified Forest

I also love that the monthly Spotlight is about musicals! I love musicals--except for the operatic ones.  Yuck!  Looking over the schedule, I've seen most of them already.  Lol.

6/2

The Strangers.  This is a Peter Lorre/Sydney Greenstreet film that I've never seen.  It sounds like an interesting film.

6/4

Rosalind Russell birthday tribute.  I've seen many of these but I'm interested in Fast and Loose and They Met in Bombay.  

Leslie Howard: The Man Who Gave a Damn documentary.  I love documentaries and I don't know much about Howard other than he died in WWII. 

6/6

Callaway Went Thataway sounds interesting.  

Treasures from the Disney Vault sounds interesting.

6/8

Obsession.  This noir sounds intense.  "A jealous husband plots to dispose of his wife's lover in an acid bath." 

6/10

The 50s suburbia block sounds interesting: No Down Payment and All That Heaven Allows

6/20 

Errol Flynn birthday tribute!  I own all the films scheduled, but I'm glad they're scheduled nonetheless.

6/21

Small Town Girl.  A musical that I haven't seen yet! And it features one of my favorites, Ann Miller.

6/22

Ugh my birthday does not seem to feature anything exciting.  Good thing I'm going camping this weekend.

6/23

The Man Who Cheated Himself.  This film sounds interesting, but I'm not a big fan of Lee J. Cobb.  He's been so irritating in the films of his that I've seen. 

6/25

Stage Struck.  This is a film featuring Susan Strasberg that I haven't seen.  I really like Strasberg in Picnic and haven't seen her in anything else.

6/27

It Had to Be You.  A Ginger Rogers movie that I haven't seen before.

There's probably a lot more that I'm interested in, but that's what pops out at me right now.  I'll need to read more about Howard to pick some more movies of his that I should watch. 

Leslie Howard is a great choice.  He was a real hero!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speedracer, Stage Struck is a remake of the Katharine Hepburn film Morning Glory. Those who saw Susan Strasberg on stage early in her career believed she would have a long career as a major actress. She had an affair with Richard Burton which did not end well and this apparently was traumatic for her. She did not achieve the heights which some had expected.

• Like 1

Tony Randall is good in No Down Payment, but the movie as a whole is a mess, coming across as though the writer and producer had a checklist of social issues they wanted to touch on.

But it's got the trope that the suburbs are bland and malevolent, so people praise it.

I am wondering if the history of the Hollywood musical stuff is another course with Ball University. If so, then I imagine it will continue into July.

Anyone know?

Things of interest

The Monte Carlo Story (1957) June 1 - I haven't seen this Marlene Dietrich flick.

Hotel Berlin (1945) June 8 - The last time I tried to record this one it didn't turn out, so I'm thankful for a second chance at this Peter Lorre effort.

A Notorious Affair (1930) June 13 - Basil Rathbone's in this one that kicks off a day's spotlight on him.

The Colossus of Rhodes (1961) June 13 - This sword'n'sandal effort is from director Sergio Leone, so i need to check it out.

It's Love I'm After (1937) June 18 - I haven't seen this Bette Davis- Leslie Howard movie.

Sandokan the Great (1963) June 22 - Another Italian muscleman movie, this one starring Steve Reeves and directed by Umberto Lenzi, one of the premiere names in Italian schlock.

The All-American Boy (1973) June 23 - I don't know this Jon Voight boxing movie.

The Arrangement (1969) June 30 - I still haven't seen this Kirk Douglas/Elia Kazan movie.

37 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I am wondering if the history of the Hollywood musical stuff is another course with Ball University. If so, then I imagine it will continue into July.

Anyone know?

If it would continue into July, that would mean it would have to deal with the last four decades.  And it's not likely TCM has any interest in the subject, or that there are that many musicals for that time. 

A quick look doesn't reveal anything other than Stalker.  If you had to choose seventies Hollywood musicals, couldn't you choose something other than Mame?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skimpole said:

If it would continue into July, that would mean it would have to deal with the last four decades.  And it's not likely TCM has any interest in the subject, or that there are that many musicals for that time. 

A quick look doesn't reveal anything other than Stalker.  If you had to choose seventies Hollywood musicals, couldn't you choose something other than Mame?

No, because MAME is a Warner Brothers film and in their library. 

It probably isn't continuing into July, but I do think this is a Ball University course we haven't heard about yet, because the title of this series seems academic. The history of any genre is a wide ranging study of said genre.

8 minutes ago, skimpole said:

If you had to choose seventies Hollywood musicals, couldn't you choose something other than Mame?

Well, they are also showing The Boy FriendMan of La ManchaGodspellCabaret1776Tommy, and Fiddler on the Roof from the 70's.

I'm really looking forward to the evening of June 10th when 2 Jean-Paul Belmondo's films are playing.  That Man from Rio and Up to His Ears.  Definately worth a look!  I'm also anxious to see some of Tom Keene's westerns on Saturday mornings in June.

i feel old. it feels like Howard was SOTM a lot sooner than 6 years ago.

oh well.

BERKELEY SQUARE (1933?) is worth a look if you haven't seen it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i feel old. it feels like Howard was SOTM a lot sooner than 6 years ago.

oh well.

BERKELEY SQUARE (1933?) is worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Same here!   I had to look it up because it felt like it was only about 3 years ago we were all discussing him as SOTM.     

One of the best screwball comedies of the 30s is It's Love I'm After with Howard,  Bette Davis and Olivia DeHaviland.    Top notch actors having fun for a change (considering the other two films Howard and Davis were in).

SIGH. Another repeat SOTM. How about Joan Bennett??

• Like 2

14 hours ago, skimpole said:

LOL. Mame is probably cheap to rent....

36 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Or Marcello Mastroianni?

BTW, where did the first week of May go?

46 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I do enjoy Howard's performances...but I agree that Bennett is long overdue for a tribute. I don't remember her ever having a primetime spotlight or a day in August. She certainly qualifies as a star on every level, and was in a lot of classics. 

3 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Or Marcello Mastroianni?

BTW, where did the first week of May go?

Or dozens of others who've yet to be chosen SOTM.......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I do enjoy Howard's performances...but I agree that Bennett is long overdue for a tribute. I don't remember her ever having a primetime spotlight or a day in August. She certainly qualifies as a star on every level, and was in a lot of classics. 

I think they did have Woman in the Window/Scarlett Street back to back once. I know a lot of her Wanger projects were through UA and she did work early at Fox, but I would think they could get enough films for a SOTM tribute especially as they've been showing a lot of her 40s films recently on TCM.

21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think they did have Woman in the Window/Scarlett Street back to back once. I know a lot of her Wanger projects were through UA and she did work early at Fox, but I would think they could get enough films for a SOTM tribute especially as they've been showing a lot of her 40s films recently on TCM.

She appeared in a lot of hidden gems worth rediscovering. A few weeks ago someone posted GIRL TROUBLE on YouTube. It's a screwball/romantic comedy from Fox. In the story she rents her penthouse out to Don Ameche because she's fallen on hard times, then finds a way to live there again by becoming his maid. Of course she's a pampered society girl who doesn't know the first thing about making toast or coffee. Billie Burke plays one of her scatterbrained friends who pops in and out. And of course Ameche has business problems that are conveniently solved with Bennett's help by the end. It's a truly charming picture that TCM should air, and she's at her most glamorous (even in maid's uniform). A Joan Bennett tribute would be a perfect way to introduce this film. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Trouble_(1942_film)

• Like 1

She made 2 films with Cary Grant. I think at Paramount. She made quite a few films worth discovering......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

She made 2 films with Cary Grant. I think at Paramount. She made quite a few films worth discovering......

Yes, much of her 30s films are rarely,  if ever,  shown on TCM.