Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

June Schedule is Up! Leslie Howard SOTM

40 posts in this topic

Private Worlds with Claudette Colbert and an all star cast is another noteworthy film from the 30s with Joan.........

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Mame is probably cheap to rent....

Rent, hell! You couldn't give that film away . . .

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Rent, hell! You couldn't give that film away . . .

LOL!!!!

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Arrangement (1969) June 30 - I still haven't seen this Kirk Douglas/Elia Kazan movie.

Terrible, terrible, terrible.

(The movie, not that you haven't seen it.)

2 minutes ago, Fedya said:

It is pretty bad. I've yet to be able to sit and watch it all the way through.....

15 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Yeah, I've heard that. It's probably why I haven't been more proactive in trying to see it. I've heard it worked better as a novel.

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It is pretty bad. I've yet to be able to sit and watch it all the way through.....

I couldn't make it all the way through, either.

Joan Bennett's films are split among many different studios, so it would be necessary to get rights from various sources at the same time for a SOTM tribute. I'd love for that to happen, however. In the last five or so years TCM has been able to show more of her films than was once the case.

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I've heard that. It's probably why I haven't been more proactive in trying to see it. I've heard it worked better as a novel.

re: The Arrangement---

I haven't seen it either.  But I did read the book, and it's one of my favorites.  And as I (and often said) often picture certain actors/actresses in mental images of characters in books while reading them, I didn't in this case picture KIRK DOUGLAS as the protagonist.  Based on author Kazan's description, I more pictured someone like ALLAN ARBUS in the role of "Eddie".

But, back to Leslie-------

I too, will look forward to his SOTM period, as I always liked him in several roles.  And apologies to LAURENCE HARVEY, a fine actor, but sorry.....Leslie OWNED the role of PHILIP CAREY. ;)  and never should anyone else have made the attempt. B)

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

i've said this before, but what the Hell? here's once more:

EVERYONE ON THE BOARDS: "Wow, there's this great art film/ French film/ student film/ documentary coming up. It moved me and changed me as a person."

ME: "Hmmm, well, if it shows up ON DEMAND, maybe...(but I dunno)"

VS:

EVERYONE ON THE BOARDS: "OH GOD! The WORST FILM EVER is coming on in a couple weeks..."

ME: [checks for it on youtube immediately, doesn't find it. Sets DVR and counts the minutes anxiously.]

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

Or dozens of others who've yet to be chosen SOTM.......

Three words. Douglas. Fairbanks. Jr.

I rest my case.

I'm probably the only one who noticed this, but Charles Boyer is the only non-repeat SOTM selected so far this year. And we're already in June! (Where has the time gone?) I can't be the only one who thinks this is a little sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

I'm probably the only one who noticed this, but Charles Boyer is the only non-repeat SOTM selected so far this year.

there might be a couple others, but nonetheless, I'm impressed!

that is a shame tho in re: the repeat SOTMS

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

I'm probably the only one who noticed this, but Charles Boyer is the only non-repeat SOTM selected so far this year. And we're already in June! (Where has the time gone?) I can't be the only one who thinks this is a little sad.

No, you're not the only one who noticed. I did too. TIRED of repeats! And Charles had to wait 20 plus YEARS!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kingrat said:

Joan Bennett's films are split among many different studios, so it would be necessary to get rights from various sources at the same time for a SOTM tribute. I'd love for that to happen, however. In the last five or so years TCM has been able to show more of her films than was once the case.

Yes. That's why I'm hoping (with a little prodding, I suggest her every couple months) it will happen. They only need 20 films or less!