Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Belated heads up for Carve Her Name With Pride (1958)

4 posts in this topic

It is a measure, among many, of the respect and admiration Virginia McKenna has in her country that she was awarded the role of portraying Violette Szabo, who has the position of veneration in England which Private York or Audie Murphy have pale analogues here.  Recruited for resistance work in France because of her heritage and language abilities, she died in captivity and remains a blazing symbol of British heroism, dedication, and sacrifice.  This movie, a prime example of the class-act filmmaking of Golden-Era Britain, gives Miss McKenna one of her best opportunities to show what a really fine actress she is.  She's of course known best in America for Born Free (1966), and The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1957), and maybe Ring of Bright Water (1969).  But she has a long, varied, and well-rewarded career on the English stage and screen.  Her roles range from Shakespeare, to musicals like The King and I and A Little Night Music, to children's favorites like Peter Pan (1976), to adventure (The Wreck of the Mary Deare, 1959), and historical epic (Waterloo, 1970).  

On early tomorrow morning 12:30 AM Pacific time.  Westies can stay up to see it, Easties who aren't owls can record it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

It is a measure, among many, of the respect and admiration Virginia McKenna has in her country that she was awarded the role of portraying Violette Szabo, who has the position of veneration in England which Private York or Audie Murphy have pale analogues here.  Recruited for resistance work in France because of her heritage and language abilities, she died in captivity and remains a blazing symbol of British heroism, dedication, and sacrifice.  This movie, a prime example of the class-act filmmaking of Golden-Era Britain, gives Miss McKenna one of her best opportunities to show what a really fine actress she is.  She's of course known best in America for Born Free (1966), and The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1957), and maybe Ring of Bright Water (1969).  But she has a long, varied, and well-rewarded career on the English stage and screen.  Her roles range from Shakespeare, to musicals like The King and I and A Little Night Music, to children's favorites like Peter Pan (1976), to adventure (The Wreck of the Mary Deare, 1959), and historical epic (Waterloo, 1970).  

On early tomorrow morning 12:30 AM Pacific time.  Westies can stay up to see it, Easties who aren't owls can record it.

on a VCR?

:D

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

on a VCR?

:D

I have 3 fully functioning VCRs. I use 2 of them quite frequently. But when I say that I'm recording something off of TCM or some other TV channel, it's using my DVR.