Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

new "Roseanne" a sign of the times?

133 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, darkblue said:

She told them when they asked her that she couldn't do it 'cause she couldn't sing worth ****. But they were all excited to be able to send a celebrity out there all unexpected and everything and told her not to worry about her singing, just be funny.

So she did. She did some baseball-isms in an effort to be funny. Spitting, digging at the groin. She'd been told by the guys that sent her out that that's what was wanted.

Boy, was she set up or was she set up?

This happened so long ago I don't remember many of the details. I didn't think it was

much of a big deal at the time, but some true red, white, and blue types were really

upset. 

Isn't Fox going to pick up Last Man Standing? More power.

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Is that when Roseanne and Tom mooned the American flag?

I recall hearing something like that, but I don't recall that much. Arnold

was even more annoying that Roseanne, and that's saying something.

15 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I suppose you're right, but I always felt so sorry for him.

Fox, yes Fox, is going to bring back Last Man Standing. I didn't like Rosanne ever. Saw a couple of minutes by mistake this week, as the show follows 'Wheel.' Maybe they should call it Old Rosanne and place it on CBS after Young Sheldon. Last Man Standing is fun. Rosanne is using a bulldozer to make her points about politics. Good thing I can still watch Murder, She Wrote instead.

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I suppose you're right, but I always felt so sorry for him.

He did seem like kind of a loser and not a very lovable one. 

The Million Dollar Marxist, Trotsky's Angels, Mister Roger's

Archipelago, The Facts of the Capitalist Mode of Production.

20 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I'm not a fan of Roseanne, but I remember this so vividly because I thought it was so crude to do it on live TV and extremely stupid behavior for a popular TV star.

I looked up where she mooned the live TV cameras at a baseball game - - apparently she and Tom Arnold wanted to show the American public their tattoos.

So it looks like this happened after her marriage to Tom Arnold in 1990--

1) It was referenced in an article in Vanity Fair, " The Ballad of Roseanne and Tom" - - December 1990

2) And in a compilation article about her career in the LA Times, "Go Quietly?  No Way! " May 4, 1997

It's no big deal, but I remember it so well because I think it just encapsulated my whole opinion of her with or without "The Star Spangled Banner" performance. LOL

On 3/30/2018 at 9:03 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

White men has been mostly trashed in the major sit-coms over the last few decades.   E.g. Everyone Love Raymond.    Of course these are sit-coms but back in those 'good old days' white men were portrayed in a much better light.   

****? (even blackmen were spoofed) ever watch....

The Amos 'n Andy Show (1951–1953)

The Life of Riley  (1953–1958)

The Abbott and Costello Show (1952–1957)

The Honeymooners (1955–1956)

The Phil Silvers Show (1955–1959)

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (1959–1963)

Car 54, Where Are You? (1961–1963)

My Favorite Martian (1963–1966)

Bewitched (1964–1972)

I Dream of Jeannie (1965–1970)

Get Smart (1965–1970)

F Troop (1965–1967)

• Thanks 1

Rosanne cancelled by ABC. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, cigarjoe said:

:huh:****? (even blackmen were spoofed) ever watch....

The Amos 'n Andy Show (1951–1953)

The Life of Riley  (1953–1958)

The Abbott and Costello Show (1952–1957)

The Honeymooners (1955–1956)

The Phil Silvers Show (1955–1959)

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (1959–1963)

Car 54, Where Are You? (1961–1963)

My Favorite Martian (1963–1966)

Bewitched (1964–1972)

I Dream of Jeannie (1965–1970)

Get Smart (1965–1970)

F Troop (1965–1967)

how come rural southerners never complained about The Beverly hillbillies?

answer: they understood it was comedy and didn't act like a bunch of hypersensitive posteriors.

:D

Image result for jethro bodine quotes

On 4/8/2018 at 6:31 PM, LawrenceA said:

And I don't watch a single program listed there.

I have occasionally watched Last Man Standing as a rerun when looking to kill some time.  However, seldom finish an episode - not nearly as good as Home Improvement.  I did watch Veep because the first few seasons were funny.  The final season will be next year and there was no 2018 season due to Julia Louis-Dreyfus' health.  Probably should have ended it a couple of seasons ago.

Watched a couple of episodes of old Roseanne, enough to know it was not good entertainment and not really funny.  Sure the new one (now cancelled) was even worse.

It's kind of funny that Barr blew her chance by commenting on the George Soros of

Obama's WH, Valerie Jarrett. I enjoyed the old Roseanne except for the last season

when they suddenly became rich. I've watched most of the episodes of the reboot and

it had its moments, but it's not all that funny and it's really just more of the same.

I've never seen LMS, but Tim the Toolman was fairly conservative in his personal life,

except when handling tools and explosives. 

I just discovered that DirecTV finally has one of those channels that shows old TV programs.

It's Family Entertainment Television 323. Been on DTV for about a year. Perry Mason, Roy

Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Peter Gunn, One Day at a Time, and then there's...Maude, etc.

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after show's star compared Valerie Jarrett to 'ape'

The comedian said referring to Jarrett as an ape was a "bad joke" made in "bad taste."

Barr referred to the adviser, Valerie Jarrett, as a "child" of the "Muslim Brotherhood" and "Planet of the Apes" in a tweet posted Monday.

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," read a statement Tuesday from ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey.

....The post was part of a tweet storm by Barr, in which she also apologized to Chelsea Clinton for another tweet in which she described her middle name as "Soros," falsely claiming that the former first daughter's husband, Marc Mezvinsky, is a nephew of George Soros, whom Barr called a "nazi" in another tweet.

Clinton responded to Barr, stating her middle name is "Victoria." After the apology, Barr admitted the mistake and made another jab at Clinton in a tweet saying she was “married to a son of a corrupt senator.”

......The cancellation cost ABC $22.7 million, the amount the network booked in advertising revenue from the nine episodes of the now-cancelled sitcom, according to figures from measurement firm iSpot.tv.

Earlier this month, ABC tried to curry favor with advertisers by focusing on "Roseanne's" huge success during its annual presentation to advertisers in New York, which are aimed at enticing advertisers to commit money to shows for the coming season........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/roseanne-barr-apologizes-tweet-comparing-obama-adviser-ape-n878171

<_<

Sara Gilbert rips Roseanne Barr's 'abhorrent' tweets

"....Gilbert, (executive producer) who played Darlene on "Roseanne" and had been largely credited with spearheading the relaunch of the sitcom, tweeted that Barr's statements "do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show."

"I am disappointed in her actions to say the least," Gilbert continued. "This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love -- one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member.".....

Michael Fishman, who played Barr's son in the reboot and the original series, tweeted a lengthy statement following ABC's announcement, noting that the day has been "one of the hardest in my life." He also condemned Barr's statements, calling them "reprehensible and intolerable."

"I feel devastated, not for the end of the Roseanne show, but for all those who poured their hearts and souls into our jobs, and the audience that welcomed us into their homes," he wrote.

"Our cast, crew, writers, and production staff strived for inclusiveness, with numerous storylines designed to reflect inclusiveness. The words of one person do not exemplify the thinking of all involved.".....

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sara-gilbert-rips-roseanne-barrs-abhorrent-tweets/story?id=55509934

now watch the WH press corp ask sarah sanders how trump feels about the cancellation of the new Roseanne...

as if that really has anything to do with the nation's business.

:lol:

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after show's star compared Valerie Jarrett to 'ape'

The comedian said referring to Jarrett as an ape was a "bad joke" made in "bad taste."

Barr referred to the adviser, Valerie Jarrett, as a "child" of the "Muslim Brotherhood" and "Planet of the Apes" in a tweet posted Monday.

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," read a statement Tuesday from ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey.

....The post was part of a tweet storm by Barr, in which she also apologized to Chelsea Clinton for another tweet in which she described her middle name as "Soros," falsely claiming that the former first daughter's husband, Marc Mezvinsky, is a nephew of George Soros, whom Barr called a "nazi" in another tweet.

Clinton responded to Barr, stating her middle name is "Victoria." After the apology, Barr admitted the mistake and made another jab at Clinton in a tweet saying she was “married to a son of a corrupt senator.”

......The cancellation cost ABC $22.7 million, the amount the network booked in advertising revenue from the nine episodes of the now-cancelled sitcom, according to figures from measurement firm iSpot.tv.

Earlier this month, ABC tried to curry favor with advertisers by focusing on "Roseanne's" huge success during its annual presentation to advertisers in New York, which are aimed at enticing advertisers to commit money to shows for the coming season........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/roseanne-barr-apologizes-tweet-comparing-obama-adviser-ape-n878171

<_<

As I commented on another thread, Roseanne hated Lucille Ball and hated I Love Lucy.  She made those comments at the time of Lucy's death. The media asked for Rosanne's comments because at that particular time Roseanne had the number one sitcom on television.

I think that tells you everything you need to know about this person.

8 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

now watch the WH press corp ask sarah sanders how trump feels about the cancellation of the new Roseanne...

as if that really has anything to do with the nation's business.

:lol:

What do basketball players and football players have to do with the nation's business?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Sara Gilbert rips Roseanne Barr's 'abhorrent' tweets

"....Gilbert, (executive producer) who played Darlene on "Roseanne" and had been largely credited with spearheading the relaunch of the sitcom, tweeted that Barr's statements "do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show."

"I am disappointed in her actions to say the least," Gilbert continued. "This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love -- one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member.".....

Michael Fishman, who played Barr's son in the reboot and the original series, tweeted a lengthy statement following ABC's announcement, noting that the day has been "one of the hardest in my life." He also condemned Barr's statements, calling them "reprehensible and intolerable."

"I feel devastated, not for the end of the Roseanne show, but for all those who poured their hearts and souls into our jobs, and the audience that welcomed us into their homes," he wrote.

"Our cast, crew, writers, and production staff strived for inclusiveness, with numerous storylines designed to reflect inclusiveness. The words of one person do not exemplify the thinking of all involved.".....

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sara-gilbert-rips-roseanne-barrs-abhorrent-tweets/story?id=55509934

Comedian Wanda Sykes, who was employed as a writer for Roseanne, quit hours before the show was cancelled in response to Roseanne's tweets. But considering Roseanne's track record, I'm surprised that Wanda ever signed on with her in the first place.

As far as the rest of the cast and crew including of course ABC was concerned:

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY HAD SIGNED UP FOR.

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

What do basketball players and football players have to do with the nation's business?

what does football hafta do with racial profiling?

:P:D

Well it's back to the Where Are They Now file for Michael Fishman.

Roseanne will never change, and that's why her No. 1 show is now canceled

"....While early analyses tended to focus only on the family's divided opinions about Trump, the revival was about much more than that, touching on important matters such as immigration, opioid abuse, gender identity, aging parents and religious prejudice. I thought it was worth the risk.

Many viewers agreed, as the revival was an instant hit, making Roseanne TV's No. 1 show, with an average of 23 million viewers. The characters and issues connected with viewers at a time when connections often seem impossible to find.

More: Roseanne Barr threatens to retire in huff over Twitter feuding with liberals

It's a sign of how devastating Barr's tweet was that ABC canceled the show, even though this could have been the once-in-a-decade hit that can change a network's fortunes....

More: This 'Roseanne' jab at 'Black-ish' and 'Fresh Off the Boat' sparked major backlash

The signs were coming before the fateful tweet. Executive producer and comedian Whitney Cummings, a fan of the original series, left the show recently. Many of its actors didn't share Roseanne's political views, but that was one of the great things about it. There was no one mindset, as there is in much of Hollywood.

She probably felt she had a potent base — 23 million viewers, on average  — and she could do what she wanted. Well, she can now. She just doesn't have a TV show anymore.

That's a shame, and not only for viewers. There are a couple of hundred people who worked on Roseanne, almost all of whom aren't anywhere near as wealthy as Barr, and now they're unemployed....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/05/29/abc-made-right-and-only-decision-canceling-roseanne/652527002/

(wonder if cast/crew can now sue HER?) :unsure:

"As far as the rest of the cast and crew including of course ABC was concerned:

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY HAD SIGNED UP FOR."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

the new ROSEANNE reboot did NOT reflect her views, but those of liberal producer Sara Gilbert. That's why it's a shame the rest of those involved lost out.

I believe Gilbert had warned Barr beforehand to be careful of her comments reflecting on the show....which obviously didn't work :(

took a gamble on a looney & lost

• Like 3