Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

new "Roseanne" a sign of the times?

133 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, mr6666 said:

"As far as the rest of the cast and crew including of course ABC was concerned:

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY HAD SIGNED UP FOR."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

the new ROSEANNE reboot did NOT reflect her views, but those of liberal producer Sara Gilbert. That's why it's a shame the rest of those involved lost out.

I believe Gilbert had warned Barr beforehand to be careful of her comments reflecting on the show....which obviously didn't work :(

took a gamble on a looney & lost

according to you it is sara gilbert who lost big time money-wise and maybe that is why Roseanne went tweet-happy. here she is raking in the money for ABC and her left-wing producer tries to quash her creative juices as the star of her own show.

27 minutes ago, darkblue said:

Maybe CBS will take the show on.

Whatever. Life goes on.

I'm curious about a few things;

1) What type of compensation will Barr receive,  if any?   When CBS canceled the Don Imus radio show they had to pay him millions.

2) Did Barr make that tweet with a motive?  I.e. did she want to get fired,  OR,  was she just not thinking and \ or was drunk?    Barr had to know BEFORE the tweet that such a comment would lead to a media storm and possible firing.   I.e. no one living in the USA could be that out of touch with how easy it is to get fired for making such a tweet.     E.g. I assume Barr knew what happened to Lara Ingraham of Fox when she picked on one of the Parkland 'kids'.   (wasn't fired but placed on leave and lost a few advertisers).   

To me these two are tied;  maybe Barr didn't wish to help Gilbert and the other liberal producers of the show and felt that the show was laughing AT people like Barr (Trump supporters),  and not WITH them,  so she wanted out????

14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

1) What type of compensation will Barr receive,  if any?   When CBS canceled the Don Imus radio show they had to pay him millions.

2) Did Barr make that tweet with a motive?  I.e. did she want to get fired,  OR,  was she just not thinking and \ or was drunk?    Barr had to know BEFORE the tweet that such a comment would lead to a media storm and possible firing.   I.e. no one living in the USA could be that out of touch with how easy it is to get fired for making such a tweet.     E.g. I assume Barr knew what happened to Lara Ingraham of Fox when she picked on one of the Parkland 'kids'.   (wasn't fired but placed on leave and lost a few advertisers).   

To me these two are tied;  maybe Barr didn't wish to help Gilbert and the other liberal producers of the show and felt that the show was laughing AT people like Barr (Trump supporters),  and not WITH them,  so she wanted out????

All interesting questions, james.

All I know is that if you want to liken kids to monkeys or adults to apes, you damn well better make sure they're white kids or white adults.

Nobody ever gets mad about calling a white guy an ape.

1 minute ago, darkblue said:

All I know is that if you want to liken kids to monkeys or adults to apes, you damn well better make sure they're white kids or white adults.

Nobody ever gets made about calling a white guy an ape.

Yea,  Darwin got away with it.

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  Darwin got away with it.

Heard it said in a ton of movies, too.

7 minutes ago, darkblue said:

Nobody ever gets made about calling a white guy an ape.

4a83f61cd6bf61324f95ea43a9bc16ba.jpg

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

James, you've raised some good questions here.

Apparently Roseanne has been on these internet rants for some time with crackpot conspiracy issues and other racist attacks.

If I was signing her to any contract on a national TV network, I would have something like what they used to put in those old Hollywood contracts-- something like a Morals Clause--but in her case it would be in line with public antisocial comments or behavior.

She's got a history of this sort of thing and  this is the same network that dealt with her for years in the past.

If they had a clause like that, I don't think they would owe her any money or very little. It seems like  NBC is getting off the hook with Matt Lauer because of something similar in his contract, although that's a very different issue.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

James, you've raised some good questions here.

Apparently Roseanne has been on these internet rants for some time with crackpot conspiracy issues and other racist attacks.

If I was signing her to any contract on a national TV network, I would have something like what they used to put in those old Hollywood contracts-- something like a Morals Clause--but in her case it would be in line with public antisocial comments or behavior.

She's got a history of this sort of thing and  this is the same network that dealt with her for years in the past.

If they had a clause like that, I don't think they would owe her any money or very little. It seems like  NBC is getting off the hook with Matt Lauer because of something similar in his contract, although that's a very different issue.

Yes, it depends on what is in the contract.   It is save to assume Barr knew if such a clause existed in her contract or NOT.  So again I'm left wondering how clueless her act truly was. 

13 minutes ago, darkblue said:

Is that Ron Perlman?

I LOVE your typo, don't change it! :lol:  ....Nobody ever gets made about calling a white guy an ape....

For the American Mafia calling someone an ape might help getting one initiated.  They can be "gorillas" you know.

awww you did. 

Edited by hamradio

Just now, hamradio said:

I LOVE your typo, don't change it! 

Too late. As soon as I noticed it, I changed it.

Next time, maybe I'll use the word "angry". Extra letters are frequently getting added to short words for some reason.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes, it depends on what is in the contract.   It is save to assume Barr knew if such a clause existed in her contract or NOT.  So again I'm left wondering how clueless her act truly was. 

She's now blaming it on Ambien. She had a history of making inflammatory comments of social media for years. There was even a story about how her son tried to go through all of her accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) and delete all of the things she'd said that might get her in trouble when the rebooted show was announced. 

I think it's a mix of the Ambien, Roseanne's abrasive sense of humor, and living in the conservative bubble that led her to post what she did. If you look at right-wingers twitter feeds, or Facebook posts, a lot of them are like what Roseanne said. That kind of thing gets repeated back and forth, and when the only people who see what you're posting tend to be those who agree with you, then no feathers are ruffled. I'm sure she sees a lot worse posted by others than what she posted and didn't think about it.

So yeah, I think she was that clueless, thanks to some prescription meds and living in the bubble.

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

She's now blaming it on Ambien. She had a history of making inflammatory comments of social media for years. There was even a story about how her son tried to go through all of her accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) and delete all of the things she'd said that might get her in trouble when the rebooted show was announced. 

I think it's a mix of the Ambien, Roseanne's abrasive sense of humor, and living in the conservative bubble that led her to post what she did. If you look at right-wingers twitter feeds, or Facebook posts, a lot of them are like what Roseanne said. That kind of thing gets repeated back and forth, and when the only people who see what you're posting tend to be those who agree with you, then no feathers are ruffled. I'm sure she sees a lot worse posted by others than what she posted and didn't think about it.

So yeah, I think she was that clueless, thanks to some prescription meds and living in the bubble.

You can add in right-wing talk radio, which is about 90% of talk radio.  In the old days, we called it propaganda and the weak minded just eat it up.  It reinforces their extremist beliefs and hatreds.

As a long time user of Ambien, it is not the prescription drugs that fuels her.  That's just an excuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

She says and posts edgy, racist and cruel things like that all the time. She's always been that way. It should be no shock that she thinks that way or says something like that.

7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

You can add in right-wing talk radio, which is about 90% of talk radio.  In the old days, we called it propaganda and the weak minded just eat it up.  It reinforces their extremist beliefs and hatreds.

As a long time user of Ambien, it is not the prescription drugs that fuels her.  That's just an excuse.

Ambien doesn't cause racism, as the CEO very humorously stated. But it can dull the wits sufficiently to make one say something that they wouldn't in more lucid moments. Much like with alcohol, it won't make you say things that you don't already believe. IN VINO VERITAS

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

She says and posts edgy, racist and cruel things like that all the time. She's always been that way. It should be no shock that she thinks that way or says something like that.

Your post has nothing to do with what Larry and I are discussing.   Of course I'm not shocked that she THINKS such things or that she SAYS such things in private conversations.  or that she has made such public comments \ tweets in the past.   What I'm surprised about is that she did so after having go this great gig; i.e. the highest rated T.V. show.          

It is save to assume she listens to Rush et all,  and watches Hannity,  and therefore would be aware of what happens to public facing employees that tweet unacceptable things;  E.g. Curt Schilling being fired by ESPN was a big topic to conservatives as it relates to what they see as a double standard;  in fact Fox's coverage of this Barr event focused on that;  e.g. one host mentioned Kathy Griffin and her 'head of Trump' stunt as an example of the double standard (which I found funny, since Griffin was removed as host of CNN's New Years show).

So I'm not buying that she was in such a bubble that she was clueless about what could happen to her by making such a tweet.

She was either testing the waters (hey, I'm going to do this and see what happens, screw them all!),  or she was so spaced out on drugs that she just couldn't control herself.  

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

She was either testing the waters (hey, I'm going to do this and see what happens, screw them all!),  or she was so spaced out on drugs that she just couldn't control herself.  

I highly doubt it was either of those. She has always portrayed rude characters and it's what she's known for. She probably just thought it was a funny joke at the time and maybe was "on something" that just exacerbated it. I highly doubt she would test the waters to ruin her own show.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Ambien doesn't cause racism

True. Identity politics causes racism.

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So I'm not buying that she was in such a bubble that she was clueless about what could happen to her by making such a tweet.

You're giving her more credit than I think she deserves. There are a lot of "jokes" in the right-wing social bubble (I don't like continuously referring to it as a bubble, but I don't know how else to put it. These people watch Fox News, listen to Rush and Mark Levin and the like, they read Breitbart and other right-wing news sources, and the majority of the people they socialize with, either digitally or in person, do the same.) that compare the Obamas to apes, Susan Rice to apes, Valerie Jarrett, etc. So it becomes a common refrain that loses its shock value to those who read it a lot. There are also many people who don't understand how comparing black people to apes is racist. They are ignorant of the centuries of white thought, in Europe and the US, that blacks were actually sub-human and just another species of ape, which helped to justify their slavery and exploitation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I highly doubt it was either of those. She has always portrayed rude characters and it's what she's known for. She probably just thought it was a funny joke at the time and maybe was "on something" that just exacerbated it. I highly doubt she would test the waters to ruin her own show.

So you're saying that she really was so clueless that she believe it was just a 'funny joke' and that there would be no push back for making such a joke.  

Hey,  that could be true,  but man that is being really, really clueless in this hyper sensitive, 'I'm offend, lets boycott', culture.  This is why I mentioned the Starbucks racial sensitivity training as an example of how 'push-back' can happen quickly over things many (e.g. conservatives) view as minor incidences (at best).    

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Ambien doesn't cause racism, as the CEO very humorously stated. But it can dull the wits sufficiently to make one say something that they wouldn't in more lucid moments. Much like with alcohol, it won't make you say things that you don't already believe. IN VINO VERITAS

Hey, I resemble that remark?Although I do not believe Ambien caused me to say things I would not have said anyway.  Now, vino - that's another story.

• Haha 1