mark83

Veronica Lake Fans

16 posts in this topic

A couple of their works together Ladd and Lake, are on DVD, This Gun for Hire,

The Glass Key and The Blue Dahlia, the latter are R2 PAL DVD versions..

I know they made more together, and Ladd wasnt fond of Lake during the end of their films if I read Wikipedia correctly

Veronica is the bomb! The essence of glamour with her hair obscuring one eye. Her look and her voice were great for the movies. I wish she had made more films. I hope that someday TCM acquires the rights to show more of her films. Veronica is so great; she is one of my three favorite classic movie blondes along with Lana and Mae.

I have more photos of Veronica than any other actress in my collection. It's great she caused a sensation with the hair ("sweater, sarong & peek-a-boo hair") but that quickly developed into a real movie star, loved by all instead of just teen boys.

She made very few films but played everything from broad comedy Sullivan's Travels to gripping drama So Proudly We Hail. She was teeny tiny, very childlike, but had an inner strength and confidence that balances her appeal.

Yes, her hair is soft and radiant, reflecting the light like a halo. But I love her big smooth forehead, and seemingly always searching eyes and little bow mouth. She could have stayed in some insipid little girlish roles and probably had a career. But instead her roles really stretched her to become an actress with substance. I love when an actress breaks the bounds of beauty and Veronica Lake certainly did that.

• Like 2

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> She made very few films but played everything from broad comedy Sullivan's Travels to gripping drama So Proudly We Hail. She was teeny tiny, very childlike, but had an inner strength and confidence that balances her appeal.

I loved her in those two movies, and she was also very good in The Blue Dahlia and the other movies with Alan Ladd. Hope to watch her in Ramrod fairly soon, too.

Yes, I love Veronica Lake, too. I thought she was amazing in Sullivan's Travel's with Joel McCrea and the film noirs she did with Alan Ladd. Very underrated, in my opinion. And it wasn't just her hair that made her famous. That smoky voice and dry, sarcastic attitude was perfect for film noirs and comedies like Sullivan's Travels. It makes me sad to hear about her costars badmouthing her and refusing to work with her afterwards. That's what mental illness and depression does to people. It affects your behavior and changes who you are as a person. If only people had a better understanding of those things back then.

• Like 1