Sign in to follow this  
noah80

Happy 96th Birthday to Doris Day!

29 posts in this topic

Doris Day will be celebrating her birthday on April 3rd

Doris in 2018

doris18.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yay Happy Birthday Doris! She looks great :-) 

I'm watching Calamity Jane right now on TCM.  I think I actually own this film as it was included in a Doris Day boxed set that I purchased a while back, but I've never watched it before.  

I love the trio of films she did with Rock Hudson, with Pillow Talk being my favorite.  I also thought she was great in her more suspenseful, thriller type films like The Man Who Knew Too Much and Midnight Lace.

I've been wanting to see Doris' film, Julie, if only so I can find out the answer to the question posed on the movie's poster: "What happened to Julie on her honeymoon?" I want to know! 

Happy Birthday!  Yes, Doris Day sure does look good here.  I would say "untainted".  Probably due to getting out of Hollywood when she did and living a wholesome lifestyle.

I watched some of Doris Day in Calamity Jane today.

It's fun watching her broad playing in this film and clod hopping around as a buckskinned tom boy. She looked like she was having a good time, and it's infectious to the audience.

The lady could sing, she could play drama (her performance in Love Me Or Leave Me should have been nominated for an Oscar) and she could, of course, play comedy. A very talented lady.

PLUS, she's an animal lover!

Happy Birthday, Doris. May there be plenty more to come!

Que Sera Sera-- I read Doris's autobiography when it first came out. While the tragedies of her personal life saddened me, I was inspired by her integrity and tenacity to fight for what was rightfully hers and to move on.

I'm always thrilled when a person who was a Idol of mine in childhood, for their talent and beauty,  can also become an idol of mine as an adult, for their courage and strength.

Everybody Loves A Lover-- And Doris is a Lover and Survivor of life and everybody loves her.

Happy Birthday, Doris!

I was delighted to see a present-day photo of her. I wasn't aware that she'd allowed herself to be photographed in decades. Happy birthday, Ms. Day. 

Too bad none of your posted images showed up in your posts.  Not on MY PC anyway.

But I thought of all that while watching CALAMITY JANE the other day, and how I don't think there EVER was a movie of hers that I saw and didn't like.

Sepiatone

Happy birthday, Doris!

She really does look great in that photo.  I hope she's enjoying life!

In my office at work, I have a small, fairly famous photo of Doris on my bulletin board (see below).  She's standing next to a dog and wearing a t-shirt that says, "Be kind to animals or I'll kill you."  I find this photo just hilarious, although, in all seriousness, I really admire her love for animals, as well as her talent as a performer. 

One time, a younger co-worker stopped by my office to talk about something and noticed the photo.  Knowing that my wife and I are animal lovers, he asked if that was my wife in the photo.  I had to chuckle as I said no, it was one of the great movie stars, Doris Day.  I can't blame my co-worker for the mistake, though -- along with the photo of Doris and her canine friend, there are several pictures of our own dogs on the bulletin board, but none of my wife (at her request -- I'd love to put up a picture of her).

5ac2319a1da8e_DorisDay.jpg.51ce89e1796468ead3851fba4193ba2b.jpg

I've always thought she was underrated as a fine actress because of her work in comedy, but she's one of my favorites!..and once again, there will be a Doris Day-day on TCM that doesn't show the only one of her films I haven't seen--Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?  (even though she has said it was one of her least favorites..)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Too bad none of your posted images showed up in your posts.  Not on MY PC anyway.

But I thought of all that while watching CALAMITY JANE the other day, and how I don't think there EVER was a movie of hers that I saw and didn't like.

Sepiatone

Hmm that was different. 

For the one or two other technical types here: My up-to-date Firefox browser had no problems, but I tried uploading those pics to my own website, and that server had errors with them.  I fixed it by completely replacing the file name on each file.  It looks like it comes down to the characters in the filename of each image either being corrupted, or using an unconventional or newer character set.  Possibly by the postimg.org hosting site.  It gave me errors until I completely renamed them on my machine, which uses UTF-8 natively. 

Most computers in use today in the Western world use either UTF-8 natively (in widest use today) or some variant of ISO-8859, as Windows computers have used.  I didn't bother to find out what was actually wrong with the filename of each image.

Anyhow, here.
Doris-Day-doris18.jpg

Doris-Day-bob-crosby-orchestra-1940.jpg

She looks GREAT! I signed her birthday card......

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 11:25 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I was delighted to see a present-day photo of her. I wasn't aware that she'd allowed herself to be photographed in decades. Happy birthday, Ms. Day. 

Yes, she showed up for her birthday celebration a few years ago (it was a surprise) It was her 90th (really her 92nd) There were some photos posted here in forums.......and another was posted last year or 2 years ago...

5 hours ago, BingFan said:

Happy birthday, Doris!

She really does look great in that photo.  I hope she's enjoying life!

In my office at work, I have a small, fairly famous photo of Doris on my bulletin board (see below).  She's standing next to a dog and wearing a t-shirt that says, "Be kind to animals or I'll kill you."  I find this photo just hilarious, although, in all seriousness, I really admire her love for animals, as well as her talent as a performer. 

One time, a younger co-worker stopped by my office to talk about something and noticed the photo.  Knowing that my wife and I are animal lovers, he asked if that was my wife in the photo.  I had to chuckle as I said no, it was one of the great movie stars, Doris Day.  I can't blame my co-worker for the mistake, though -- along with the photo of Doris and her canine friend, there are several pictures of our own dogs on the bulletin board, but none of my wife (at her request -- I'd love to put up a picture of her).

5ac2319a1da8e_DorisDay.jpg.51ce89e1796468ead3851fba4193ba2b.jpg

VERY FUNNY picture! Doris does have a good sense of humor.

Lessee......

DORIS DAY has a profound and deep love for animals and is now celebrating her 96th birthday.

BETTY WHITE too, has a deep and profound love for animals and ALSO recently celebrated HER 96th birthday.

So, now it looks like ME TOO, will start having a deep and profound love for animals! ;)  :D

GOD bless both those lovely, talented ladies. :)

Sepiatone

On 4/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, shutoo said:

I've always thought she was underrated as a fine actress because of her work in comedy, but she's one of my favorites!..and once again, there will be a Doris Day-day on TCM that doesn't show the only one of her films I haven't seen--Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?  (even though she has said it was one of her least favorites..)

Yes, as far as I know TCM has never shown this. A puzzle as its an MGM film or at least release. There must be some legal problem with it. Maybe MGM no longer owns the rights to it. 

According to imdb, there does appear to be a rights issue with the film and it has not been in circulation for 25 years! No doubt, after Doris dies, the rights will be cleared up to make money off of it..........

On 4/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, shutoo said:

This movie has occurred to me a few times as a possible answer to this thread in the Information section, I just never got around to posting on it:
http://forums.tcm.com/topic/53061-movie-clip-help/?tab=comments#comment-1083904

It's definitely not from Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? I saw the film (long ago) and there was nothing like that in the picture.

cute message about Doris' birthday today on SiriusXM radio including dogs barking!  (40s Junction channel)

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, noah80 said:

Doris Day will be celebrating her birthday on April 3rd

Doris in 2018

doris18.jpg

thought she was 94 though?

Her birthdate is 1922.  For years she went with the studio version of 1924.