Sign in to follow this  
mark83

Joan Blondell

5 posts in this topic

Sign me up, please. Loved Joan in Three On A Match, The Opposite Sex, Two Girls On Broadway, and the movie that made me fall in love with JB: Cry Havoc. She is beautiful and talented and excels in many film genres.

On Monday, February 18, 2008 at 12:49 AM, randyishere said:

Sign me up, please. Loved Joan in Three On A Match, The Opposite Sex, Two Girls On Broadway, and the movie that made me fall in love with JB: Cry Havoc. She is beautiful and talented and excels in many film genres.

Joan Blondell was always great as the sassy blonde. I loved her in Footlight parade as the secretary and sort of love interest of James Cagney, like the scene where she tries snuggling up to him when talking about show ideas (like the machanical doll unit), and her getting jeolous of Cagney going out with Ruth Donnelly. I loved her in Dames with the way she showed up in Guy Kibbie's bed twice and the way she blackmailed him for money for the show ("the wind in the pipes" scene is classic). Also great in Gold diggers 33 and Gold diggers 37. Moving on to the early 1960s, Joan as the cranky wife of William Deamarest in Twilight zone episode What's in the box, very good there, and looking much older and fatter.

2 minutes ago, Allenex said:

Joan Blondell was always great as the sassy blonde. I loved her in Footlight parade as the secretary and sort of love interest of James Cagney, like the scene where she tries snuggling up to him when talking about show ideas (like the machanical dollar unit), and her getting jeolous of Carney going out with Ruth Donnelly. I loved her in Dames with the way she showed up in Guy Kibbie's bed twice and the way she blackmailed him for money for the show ("the wind in the pipes" scene is classic). Also great in Gold diggers 33 and Gold diggers 37. Moving on to the early 1960s, Joan as the ****y wife of William Deamarest in Twilight zone episode What's in the box, very good there, and looking much older and fatter.

I don't recall the Blondell character getting jealous of Carney going out with his boss's wife, Ruth Donnelly.  Instead she was jealous of the Claire Dodd character who was named Vivian RICH;    Blondell gets off a great wisecrack to Dodd related to the name RICH.

(a word that is censored by this site as one can see in your post!) ;) 

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't recall the Blondell character getting jealous of Carney going out with his boss's wife, Ruth Donnelly.  Instead she was jealous of the Claire Dodd character who was named Vivian RICH;    Blondell gets off a great wisecrack to Dodd related to the name RICH.

(a word that is censored by this site as one can see in your post!) ;) 

Sorry, two months late replying (exactly two months, lol). Got two corrections to make to my comment that you replied to. First one, a typo: I meant Cagney, not Carney. Second one: I meant Claire Dodd, not Ruth Donnelly. I mistakenly thought Ruth Donnelly was the name of the actress who played Ms Vivian Rich (Ms Vivian Bi.., I mean Rich, Lol).

I realize now that Ruth Donnelly was the nice older lady who Ruby Keeler thought Dick Powell was sucking up to.