Sign in to follow this  
Metropolisforever

Raging Bull (1980) - The Most Overrated Movie EVER

31 posts in this topic

I had been looking forward to watching this film but had to bail in less than an hour because I found the subject matter objectionable. It wasn't a pleasant viewing experience. I don't like boxing, or fisticuffs in general, let alone violence against women, so any appeal to artistic or social merit eludes me. Similarly, I can identify with those who categorically reject war movies and westerns, because of the guns, though those are two of my favorite genres. Guess I like my violence at a remove, while knuckles-to-face is just too visceral.

Stylistically, RAGING BULL intentionally resembles a 1940's boxing noir film (BODY AND SOUL)and DeNiro was made up to look remarkably like John Garfield (and he even sounds like him too in some scenes) It's all referential for film buffs, but imo emotionally empty.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

"As LaMotta, Robert De Niro gives a blank, soulless performance; there's so little of depth or urgency coming from him that he's impossible to despise, or forgive, in any but the most superficial way." - Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

I have to disagree I Raging Bull the movie is sensational and he played the part the way it was written. The real life Jake La Motta was so pathetic and Robert DeNiro was great in it. Cathy Moriarity was wonder too. Its one of my favorite boxing film of all time as well as the another classic, City For Conquest with James Cagney and Ann Sheridan.