Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

All About Eve

57 posts in this topic

Don't miss it if you've never seen it. I think this is a "premiere" showing for TCM. Mankiewicz in top form---as is Davis, Baxter, Sanders and Miss Thelma Ritter. :)

image?id=77088&rendTypeId=4

Hi Joe/Fred, yes it's such an all-around exceptional film.

Truly one of the great ones. I can close my eyes and just

listen to that remarkable dialogue....

I think my favorite scenes are the one in the car between

Celeste Holme and Bette, and the "showdown" scene

between George Sanders and Ann Baxter.

Thelma's lines are among the best of her career.

"Everything but the bloodhounds snapping at her rear end."

EveMargoBirdie.jpg

It is one of the few bette davis films that I like !

Hi Ken,

It's interesting you should say that, because I was thinking while watching it that this is the one Bette Davis movie I could recommend to people who might not ordinarily like her.

I can never not watch it when it's on.

"Why do they always look like unhappy rabbits?"

I liked it, I Netflixed it last week. I liked it to watch once but not really to own sort of in the same boat as 12 Angry Men. Yes its good, but for me its not for my shelf :)

I loved the ending where Eve is going to get her come up pins :)

Did you know Claudette Colbert was signed to play Margo Channing, and she fell and broke

her back, Bette Davis did her last film for Warners and happened to be free, she was signed at the last minute to play Margo, and Miss Colbert was heard to comment "I had to break my back to give Bette Davis the role of a lifetime"

I can never not watch it when it's on.

I know, I get sucked into it each time, even though I have it on dvd and can watch it whenever!

"Why do they always look like unhappy rabbits?"

My favorite line by Marilyn comes just before that, about DeWitt: "You won't bore him, honey. You won't even get a chance to talk!"

18794358.jpg

I loved the ending where Eve is going to get her come up pins

Those final scenes are a marvelous example of poetic justice!

3092460.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=552D90A84D8CF980C2825E837291F2A4A55A1E4F32AD3138

Did you know Claudette Colbert was signed to play Margo Channing, and she fell and broke

her back, Bette Davis did her last film for Warners and happened to be free, she was signed at the last minute to play Margo, and Miss Colbert was heard to comment "I had to break my back to give Bette Davis the role of a lifetime"

Hi Rainy---I'd heard the story but not the quote, that's funny. I've always wondered what it would have been like with Claudette. Bette certainly made it her own, though.

AAE.jpg

I love Celeste Holm in this movie. The scene where she finds out that Bette doesn't want the part of Cora is sensational. To laugh like that! I after such tension, it is the only thing to do. I laugh along every time.

The women are so wonderful in this movie, every one of them. The poor men just can't keep up, except of course, for my beloved George.....but I do love Gregory Ratoff as Max. His voice sounds bubbly, like he takes a bicarbonate every day (and I'm sure Max needed to).

I always find it strange that Hugh Marlowe ended up as a soap opera star. It's weird to me that the guy from Another world was Lloyd Richards.....

I thought George Sanders did a brilliant performance. Whenever I think of All about Eve, I think of Clever "Addison DeWitt."

Whenever I think of All about Eve, I think of Clever "Addison DeWitt."

Hi Konway! I adore Georgie's "Addison DeWitt". He is a real pleasure to watch and listen to, quite a character.

GeorgeAnn-AAE.jpg

I love Celeste Holm in this movie. The scene where she finds out that Bette doesn't want the part of Cora is sensational. To laugh like that! I after such tension, it is the only thing to do. I laugh along every time.

I agree, Holm is wonderful and plays her character with great subtelty. In fact, it's the only role I really care for her in.

The women are so wonderful in this movie, every one of them. The poor men just can't keep up, except of course, for my beloved George.....but I do love Gregory Ratoff as Max. His voice sounds bubbly, like he takes a bicarbonate every day (and I'm sure Max needed to).

Max is adorable.

I always find it strange that Hugh Marlowe ended up as a soap opera star. It's weird to me that the guy from Another world was Lloyd Richards.....

I never watched many soaps so I didn't know this. I rather like Gary Merrill's character, I think he plays perfectly against Bette's more hysterical high notes. He understands her and is more patient than most men would be with her. I'm not surprised Bette grew attracted to what she thought he was.

Dav3112.jpg

it's hard for me to think of Addison in the throes of passion, but I guess a character like his can only relate to women either from the "Copacabana School of Dramatic Arts" or as twisted as Eve.

Thank you for reminding me that this will be on! I have only seen the movie once so I am really looking forward to watching it again after reading these comments. :)

Bronxgirl, you don't have to worry about thinking of Addison in the throes of passion. He's only passionate about himself. In fact, my take on it is that Addison DeWitt is as passionate about women as Waldo Lydecker was.

Bronxgirl, you don't have to worry about thinking of Addison in the throes of passion. He's only passionate about himself. In fact, my take on it is that Addison DeWitt is as passionate about women as Waldo Lydecker was.

George Sanders was a wonderful actor, but one thing he could never have played convincingly was a gay man. He also played Waldo Lydecker in a 1960s Fox Hour of Stars remake of LAURA, and brought the sort of satyr's masculinity to the part that the homosexual Webb never could. One of the reasons I've never liked the film is the idea that Clifton Webb's Lydecker could be obsessed with any woman.

I see your point, CS, but I don't think that Webb/Lydecker's obsession with Laura was sexual in any way. Remember, in his mind, he created her and made her what she became: a successful, stylish, confident career woman. In this sense, Webb/Lydecker had the same function as Pygmalion (or Henry Higgins, if you like). His "obsession" stems from the fact that she is, in a sense, his creation.

I think this is brought out rather well by Webb's line near the film's end when Laura chooses Mark MacPherson over him: "I hope you'll never regret what promises to be a disgustingly earthy relationship!"

I think that says it all about Webb/Lydecker's attitude towards sex.

While I think he doesn't have "normal" relationships with women and is unable to "love or be loved", Addison likes losing his inhibitions every now and then, whereas Waldo was psychotically neuter.

For those who missed it, ALL ABOUT EVE is on again this Sunday, March 16 at 8:00 pm EST.