Sign in to follow this  
Shopperv

Any Deanna Durbin Fans?

22 posts in this topic

I have been a Deanna Durbin fan for many years. Unfortunately, many of her really good movies have not been converted to DVD...one of my favorites is Three Smart Girls Grow Up.

Any other favorites of hers out there??

Oh my gosh I love Deanna Durbin!!!!! I have loved her since I was like five!! She is amazing!! I just love her so much! I was actually going to post a thread on her, but then I saw this one. I just bought this Magazine from 1938 in a antiquie store and it had a huge picture of her and article about her. I just love her! I have a collection of her music I have seen like everyone of her movies.

I love them all...but some of my favorites are (in no particular order)

Can't Help Singing

Hers to Hold

The Amazing Mrs. Holliday

Three Smart Girls

His Butlers Sister

Lady On A Train

Three Smart Girls Grow-up

First Love

That Certain Age

It Started With Eve

There's Something In The Wind

I love a bunch of others but I seriously can't think of them. When people mention the name then I will remember! Does anyone know the name of the one that is in like hawaii and Deanna has "fallen in love" with her mothers boyfriend, her mom is a actress?

The 1 Deanna Durbin film I have always wanted to see, but can't find since it was never placed on DVD, & there is no DVD plans is: "Christmas Holiday". Deanna Durbin stars W./ Gene Kelly!

Per Wikipedia:

Although the film was a box office success for Durbin, she was criticised for having tarnished her trademark persona playing a dance-hall "hostess" (aka a prostitute).

01.jpg

I was able to find Christmas Holiday on ebay several months ago. It was a dvd copy. I haven't watched it yet...

The movie you're thinking about is called "It's A Date"...great movie. It was on TCM back in December 07. I have it on my dvr. Love it!

Yes, hooray for Deanna! She's one of my all-time faves. If you go to YouTube, you'll find an amazing number of excerpts from her best movies. Just type in "Deanna Durbin" and you'll be in heaven. My all-time favorites that are not yet on DVD are:

1. NICE GIRL? Deanna is delightful as a beautiful young girl in a small town who falls in love with Franchot Tone (her frequent co-star.") She sings beautiful versions of "Old Folks at Home" and that last, stirring number, THANK YOU AMERICA. I love the Vera West frocks designed for La Divina.

2. HIS BUTLER'S SISTER. Deanna is at her peak in this musical-comedy starring, once again, franchot tone and Pat O'Brien as her obnoxious brother. Deanna sings her most beautiful numbers here, including "Russian Medley" and the last, a knockout finale from "Turandot."__

The 1 Deanna Durbin film I have always wanted to see, but can't find since it was never placed on DVD, & there is no DVD plans is: "Christmas Holiday". Deanna Durbin stars W./ Gene Kelly!

Hi Celluloidkid:

You can see all of Christmas Holiday (except the opening credits) on Youtube at the following link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cSXKQMqogI0

Of course, per Youtube's format, it's posted in several parts, but the print is clear and there's minimal repetition between sections.

Other Durbin movies posted on Youtube include:

Mad About Music

First Love

It Started With Eve

The Amazing Mrs. Holliday

I can't recall whether 100 Men and a Girl has been posted in its' entirety, or whether several scenes from the film have been posted, but for anyone interested in checking them out, just go to youtube.com and type Deanna's name and the title of the film in the search engine.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for posting the Youtube for Christmas Holiday...I just finished watching it for the first time.

Wow...it was very dark compared to all her other movies.

You're welcome.

And I agree about Christmas Holiday's "dark" qualities, even when NOT compared to Deanna's other films. lol!

Although I think the script could have used some work, I thought Deanna gave an excellent perforrmance playing, essentially "three" roles: the nice, intelligent young woman who marries Gene Kelly after a whirlwind courtship, the confused but resolute young wife still too "nice" to ask all the appropriate questions regarding Kelly's behavior and actions (not to mention those of creepy Gale Sondergaard as Kelly's Mom), and the cynical "hostess" of Gladys George's cathouse. It's probably the most radical departure made by any of the musical "Girl Next Door" actresses of that era, and I like Deanna's performance very much. In a role that easily could have been overwrought and overdone, she's very understated, and, I thought, gives a more effective performance for being so.

I think Gene Kelly's performance is also excellent, but not so radical a departure from his establsihed screen image (a charming heel) as Deanna's is from hers.

My only complaint: I wish Deanna had slugged Sondergaard back after Kelly's trial. Sondergaard may have LOOKED sinister, but she also looked old and kinda brittle. I always thought that if it came to a scrap between the two women, Deanna could have beaten the tar out of her with relative ease. lol!

It may have been a controversial film, but I give Deanna and Universal a lot of credit for making it. Although it made a mint, the public outcry apparently scared Universal off from trying a comparably out-of-sort role with Deanna. That said, with films like Lady on a Train, I think they still took more chances with Deanna's image than MGM took with Judy Garland's, Fox took with Betty Grable's, or Paramount with Betty Hutton's.

Also wanted to mention that I just noticed someone has posted His Butler's Sister to Youtube.

Any recent pictures of this actress? I know she lives in France, but surely someone must have taken a picture of her . She is probably matured into a heavy set woman.

The most recent picture I've seen of her is from ca. 1983 when she would have been 61 years old. She is anything but a "heavyset woman" in that photo.

Thanks, cclowell38....Unfortunately, the photo doesn't pull up for me...it might just be me. I would really love to see her picture!!!

Hi Shropperv:

I think the photo you listed from THE DEANNA DURBIN PAGE is from 1980, not 1998. It was a photo Deanna sent to LIFE Magazine for a 1980 edition they were producing on Classic Hollywood stars. Although she declined to be interviewed by the magazine, Deanna sent the photo to dispel longstanding rumors that she was plump/overweight, and she certainly looks thin as a reed in it!

In the meantime, I think I've finally figured out how to post that ca. 1983 photo of Deanna I mentioned earlier. Here it is. I hope you (and others) like it:

dd130.jpg

You're right, cclowell38! My mistake...I read the dates wrong. Thanks for clarifying...

I still can't get into the site you're displaying. I even went to the site directly....seems you have to be a member to get into anything. OH well...good try.

Thanks again!!

Hi Shopperv:

Sorry about the problems you've been experiencing viewing that photo. I did have the photo posted successfully in my last post, but it must be protected by the site's owner. (This seems a little odd to me, since the site's owner doesn't own the copyright to it, but, who knows?)

Anyway, let's see if this works:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/mcansh/ddgallery5.html

This link is to the 5th page of THE DEANNA DURBIN GALLERY. It's a site comprised entirely of photos of Deanna Durbin (some on sheet music, vidoes, etc.). The photo I've mentioned is the fourth one from the left in the second row. It's a color photo and Deanna is wearing a light purple? lavender? turtleneck sweater. You can click on the photo to get an enlarged version.

I just tried it and it worked for me.

Good luck!