Sign in to follow this  
mildredpiercefan

Gloria Grahame a complete package

1,635 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Didn't Carole Lombard often play a comic "kook"?

Sure, I guess we could parse and debate the term "kook"- but I'll give you Carole.

It's notable though that Gloria played a "kook" in a few films where the whole rest of the tone is not "kooky"- The Big Heat (before the coffee in the face) A Woman's Secret and- to some degree- The Bad and the Beautiful.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that several times whilst watching A Woman's Secret I thought to meself: "wow, this is just the kind of trifling dreck that Ray and Co. skewer so delightfully at the beginning of In a Lonely Place. "

I guess they knew from where they were coming.

I've been wondering just when it was she began the trick of stuffing her upper lip with cotton. I remember reading that directors used to tell her not to do it, but as soon as their backs were turned in it went again. Watching the classic stuff I don't see it, but I noticed it in some of her later pictures. She looks as though she's trying not to open her mouth too far.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > A Woman's Secret was very silly.

> The big flaw in that film is that no one could ever imagine Maureen O'Hara shooting anyone. They should have used Joan Crawford. :)

Her characters usually have such a temper that I have NO trouble imagining her shooting someone. In fact, I'm surprised she doesn't shoot someone more often!

Yeah, she reminded me of some of the women on my mother's side of the family - the red-headed Irish contingent. Wow, talk about tempers.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Whose characters have a temper? Crawford? O'Hara? Grahame?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was replying to Fred's assertion that no one could imagine Maureen O'Hara shooting someone, so It was her temper, in her roles, that I was talking about.

I have to agree with you; I have seen O'Hare 'lose it' in a few films. When one of her roles calls for her to be angry I wouldn't want to be around her if she had a loaded gun! :)

Based on the tempest over her guardian/foundation awhile back, she still has "It" in her 90s......

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}Miss Goddess, I hope you were able to get home in time to watch or record *The Good Die Young*

Yes, I mentioned it in "Rambles" if you want to mosey there. :)

She's Back!!!

Gloria-10.jpg

Hello everyone,

As many of you may remember this thread was in the old "Hot Topics" forum and when the site was updated and given a new format it was basically lost. I want to thank the TCM staff for all their help in finding it and restoring it back to the boards.

I want to also thank MildredPierceFan who started this thread over seven years ago. A number of posters kept it going and there is a lot of information on the great Gloria Grahame that has been collected here over the years.

Since this is an old thread and we no longer use the same "code" or (whatever you call it) for using quotes and posting images and such, some of the posts may look garbled but most of the content is still there.

Here you will find a lot of photos and many good conversations about the films in which she appeared. 

Three Gloria Grahame films will be showing on TCM in July. A Woman's Secret, Macao and The Big Heat

A lot has been written about Grahame but I think I will start by reposting a quote I posted back on page one of this thread

If she only ever really played supporting parts, that may be because that level of work allowed her to be most enigmatic. But things happened when she was around: any room became a place where coffee was coming to the boil.   (Thomson pg.359)

Source:

Thomson, David. The New Biographical Dictionary of Film. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2004.

Whether she's stopping traffic in It's a Wonderful Life, rolling the dice in Macao, beguiling Bogart in In A Lonely Place or desperately peaking around Robert Ryan's door in Odds Against Tomorrow, she is never less than memorable. 

Hopefully, there will be more good conversation and film discussion in the future and this tribute to a fine and talented actress will keep going.

glorialonely1.jpg

• Like 2

I don't think this was ever posted here.

A clip of Glora winning the Oscar for The Bad and the Beautiful:

It only runs for 1:27 but I find so much interesting here. Edmund Gwenn reading the nominations, Gloria's walk to the stage, the "on the fly" thank you and finally Hope's little quip at the end.

I don't think this was ever posted here.

A clip of Glora winning the Oscar for The Bad and the Beautiful:

It only runs for 1:27 but I find so much interesting here. Edmund Gwenn reading the nominations, Gloria's walk to the stage, the "on the fly" thank you and finally Hope's little quip at the end.

It was wonderful seeing her walking up the aisle, but I was keenly disappointed that she didn't say anything. What was that all about? I don't know enough about her to know if this is a known personality trait, or what ... ? She was adorable, though. (too whatever degree she could be seen as she whisked by).

Well she does say "thank you very much". There have been others who have said the same or less. She also thanks Gwenn as he gives her the oscar. What is a little odd is that once she has the oscar in hand she barely stops moving as she speaks briefly at the podium and then exits. It may have been that she was simply nervous.

Loved the walk though! :)

I'm thrilled to see the "Gloria" thread back!  One of my favorite threads.  Gloria is my most favorite actress.  I have finally watched all of her "classic era" films.  I still have her later career to watch.

1. In a Lonely Place

2. The Big Heat

3. It's a Wonderful Life

4. Odds Against Tomorrow

5. Human Desire

6. Macao

7. The Glass Wall

8. Crossfire

9. Sudden Fear

10. Naked Alibi

11. Without Love

12. Roughshod

13. The Man Who Never Was

14. The Good Die Young

15. Ride Out for Revenge

16. Man on a Tightrope

17. Song of the Thin Man

18. Oklahoma!

19. Merton of the Movies

20. The Cobweb

21. The Bad and the Beautiful

22. The Greatest Show on Earth

23. Not as a Stranger

24. Prisoners of the Casbah

25. A Woman's Secret

26. Blonde Fever

27. It Happened in Brooklyn

rideoutforrevenge1_zps8f68802e.jpg

I'm thrilled to see the "Gloria" thread back!

Shiftless, so glad you are here!

As I noted in Barb's thread, we have finished moving (still in my beloved City of Angels, Valley division), we just moved from Sherman Oaks to Lake Balboa (though the lake is nowhere near here).

We are in the process of unpacking, so I am looking forward to posting more here and in Barbs' thread.

A girl can't spend all summer unpacking!

Happy 4th of July, Molo, Gloria, the Glolos, Mother Molo, Shiftless and the rest of the gang! Enjoy those martinis!

Hello there Frank and Lynn,

Frank,

I still haven't seen Naked Alibi, Ride Out for Revenge, The Man Who Never Was, Man on a Tightrope, and Prisoners of the Casbah.

So you are several up on me. I accidentally saw a spoiler over at IMDB for Naked Alibi which I was hoping to eventually forget. Ha! No such luck! That will probably be the next "new" Gloria film for me.

Lynn, What is your favorite Glora performance?

Glad you are here, we may need your help again fighting the "greatest evil ever". :)  

Pass the martinis!

Howdy, Lynn!

As I noted in Barb's thread, we have finished moving (still in my beloved City of Angels, Valley division), we just moved from Sherman Oaks to Lake Balboa (though the lake is nowhere near here).

We are in the process of unpacking, so I am looking forward to posting more here and in Barbs' thread.

A girl can't spend all summer unpacking!

I hope the move was a positive one for you and yours.  I have a friend who moved in late-June and their stuff has yet to arrive.  Nightmare.

Look forward to seeing you around!

Hola, Molo the Magnificent -- I still haven't seen Naked Alibi, Ride Out for Revenge, The Man Who Never Was, Man on a Tightrope, and Prisoners of the Casbah.

I like Gloria in all of those films.  Shocking, I know.  But, oddly enough, where I like her the most is Prisoners of the Casbah.  The film isn't very good, but Gloria is playing Miss G.  Lots of slapping and kicking.  She has a smaller role in The Man Who Never Was.  The film itself is rather good.  I like Ride Out for Revenge.  I was surprised by that.  I feel it's underrated.  That's what my cap was from in my previous post.  Gloria plays different emotions in that one.  It's a nice change for her.  She's in familiar territory in Naked Alibi.  She does a nice job of sharing the screen with Sterling Hayden.  And Man on a Tightrope finds Gloria is extremely familiar territory.  She's right at home in a far away setting and in a serious theme.

Prisoners of the Casbah:

Ride Out for Revenge:

Video removed due to copyright concerns

Naked Alibi:

Link to video removed due to copyright concerns

Edited by TCMModerator1

Howdy there Frank,

I like Gloria in all of those films.  Shocking, I know.  But, oddly enough, where I like her the most is Prisoners of the Casbah.

That did surprise me.

The film isn't very good, but Gloria is playing Miss G.  Lots of slapping and kicking.

Oh I see! I love it when Miss G. gets portrayed on film! Ha! Well that may go to the top of my list now!

I will be getting to all those films. I'll be back here to comment after I watch them.