Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,711 posts in this topic

I was looking for a thread that I could adopt for a general question. Didn't see one right away, so let's go with a new thread.

Very simple. Answer the question correctly, then pose a question of your own.

First Question:

Name a movie that is associated with my screen name?

I would venture to say The Buccaneer, but I'm unsure as to which version -- 1938 or 1958.

I wasn't even aware of a 1938 version. I was thinking of the later one with Yul. Probably others where ole Jean Laffite made an appearance.

So you are correct.

Your turn with a question.

Okay,

Name the computer that gave the following Special Directive:

...Return alien to Earth for analysis.

...All other considerations secondary.

...Crew expendable.

If you're referring to 2001 (which you obviously are), what alien do you mean?

Beyond this, it was certainly not part of HAL's programming that he murder the crew and continue the mission on his own. The whole point is that, unlike the man-apes who were taught to kill by the black monolith on Earth, HAL decided entirely on his own that killing would further his ends.

Uhhh, that will do. Ash is a machine, of sorts, all right. But just like the humans, he got the word

when it was released by a computer named "Mother." And Mother coughed up the info only when

the alien lifeform was discovered. One of these days I hope to rediscover the number of that

Special Order.

cscu, its yours.

OK. In his last film appearance, this comedian portrayed Sir Isaac Newton. Who was he?

Here goes;

Identify the source of the sentiment, "Keep passing the open windows," and tell what it means in it's origional context.

The Hotel New Hampshire

The original source would be Irving's novel. Is that what you're looking for? By passing an open window, it means you are hanging in and not giving up. Not passing the window, i.e., jumping out, would be committing suicide.

Spot on. The 'don't give up" slogan is what I was looking for; Mention of the novel is extra icing.

Yours, Sir.

I've starred in two movies based on the novels of E.M. Forster, I've starred in two movies based on William Shakespeare and I have starred in a movie featuring one of the most famous monsters of all times (one movie in this category is enough haha). Who am I?

The evanescent Sandykaypax is nowhere to be found ... in whose absence we must press on ..

To wit:

Susan Hayward and Lee Remick have what in common with respect to a major role(s) they played.

*rainingviolets* : No, that's not it ... but very clever of you nonetheless. The answer I'm looking for is not as difficult as what you came up with, IMO. Please try again.

Message was edited by: laffite

Oh, Rainingviolets, that smiley exudes a certain confidence ... a confidence very well founded indeed because ... you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

We now wait with all breathlessness as you prepare to entertain us with a question of your own.

laffite

What movie does Susan Hayward and Hedy Lamar have in common and why?

Hi Bettie

I see your new to the Board, so let me explain. We have only one question at a time. If you'll scroll down you will see that Rainingviolets has just answered a question correctly and now it is her turn to ask the question.

This process is slow than but at least it is more orderly. We try to maintain it.

But thank you for contributing! May I suggest that you wait for Rainingviolets question so you, as well as the rest of us, can take a stab at it. The first right answer gets to ask the next question.

Thanks Bettie

Laffite