Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,760 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

 We're in the Golden Age of Hollywood 1930s--

 

1) Studio did not want this up and coming actress to marry this loose and irresponsible band singer.

2) Snooty middle class mother did not want her movie star son to marry a movie star actress who grew up virtually on the streets of New York.

3) Studio did not want this handsome matinee Idol to marry this foreign actress.

 

Nevertheless all the marriages took place.

Please identify all the participants.

My answer for #2 would be the same as lavender's.  For #1, I'm going to say Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.  For #3, I'm guessing John Gilbert and Greta Garbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, starliteyes said:

My answer for #2 would be the same as lavender's.  For #1, I'm going to say Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.  For #3, I'm guessing John Gilbert and Greta Garbo.

I'll give you 3-- but I had a different idea.

But I'm going to hold off on #1-- because it's such an ironic statement. And that's a hint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'll give you 3-- but I had a different idea.

But I'm going to hold off on #1-- because it's such an ironic statement. And that's a hint.

Just had another thought about #3 - Were you thinking Tyrone Power and Annabella?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 6:06 AM, Princess of Tap said:

 We're in the Golden Age of Hollywood 1930s--

 

1) Studio did not want this up and coming actress to marry this loose and irresponsible band singer.

2) Snooty middle class mother did not want her movie star son to marry a movie star actress who grew up virtually on the streets of New York.

3) Studio did not want this handsome matinee Idol to marry this foreign actress.

 

Nevertheless all the marriages took place.

Please identify all the participants.

 

23 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor ?

 

16 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Just had another thought about #3 - Were you thinking Tyrone Power and Annabella?

#2 & #3 are correct with Darryl F Zanuck at 20th Century Fox being the opposing party.

We're still looking for #1--

Focusing on the hint--" loose and irresponsible band singer".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be Bing Crosby?  At the time that he married Dixie Lee, she was up and coming, while he had a problem with alcohol and was loose and irresponsible.  What was ironic was that later he cleaned up his act and Dixie became an alcoholic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 11:03 AM, Princess of Tap said:

 

 

#2 & #3 are correct with Darryl F Zanuck at 20th Century Fox being the opposing party.

We're still looking for #1--

Focusing on the hint--" loose and irresponsible band singer".

Princess, is my above answer correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 5:13 PM, starliteyes said:

Could it be Bing Crosby?  At the time that he married Dixie Lee, she was up and coming, while he had a problem with alcohol and was loose and irresponsible.  What was ironic was that later he cleaned up his act and Dixie became an alcoholic.

Star, Excellent answer. I think I got this thread confused with another one. LOL

The story of the Crosbys is sad all the way around.

Lav got #2--

And Star, you have the thread with #1 & #3. Good work!

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This character actor was nominated for Best Supporting Actor 3 times, but never won.  However, in each case, the female star of the picture won an Oscar for Best Actress.

Name the actor, the 3 actresses who won the Oscar and the 3 movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would that be Charles Bickford for "The Song Of Bernadette" with Jennifer Jones, "The Farmer's Daughter" with Loretta Young, and "Johnny Belinda" with Jane Wyman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harry Carey Sr. made two silent movies that were based on the same story.  One of them was directed by John Ford.  Years later, Ford made a remake that featured Harry Carey Jr. in a featured role.  What was the name of that later movie? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, KarmaGirl.  "Three Godfathers" was the title of a 1916 silent film that starred Harry Carey.  In 1919, John Ford directed another version of the story called "Marked Men", and Harry Carey was again the star.  An early talkie version in 1929 called "Hell's Heroes" starred Charles Bickford as the outlaw leader.  Chester Morris starred in the 1936 remake called "Three Godfathers".  The 1929  and 1936 versions were both shown on TCM earlier this month, on October 4th.  John Ford had been a good friend of Harry Carey, who passed away in 1947.  Ford remade "Three Godfathers" in 1948 and gave a featured role to Harry Carey Jr., who was just starting his acting career.  Harry Carey Jr. became part of the John Ford "stock company", appearing in such Ford films as "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", "Rio Grande' "Wagon Master", and "The Searchers".

Nice guess, KarmaGirl.  I wonder if John Wayne ever played an outlaw in any other pictures.  I really don't know, but I do know that you're up next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles.

Gather around, it's story time again.

Once upon a time, an actress filmed a scene about a family member being drunk and embarrassing her at an award ceremony.  This situation actually happened to the actress at an awards ceremony a few years before.

Name the actress, the movie, and the family member that embarrassed her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KarmaGirl said:

Thanks Miles.

Gather around, it's story time again.

Once upon a time, an actress filmed a scene about a family member being drunk and embarrassing her at an award ceremony.  This situation actually happened to the actress at an awards ceremony a few years before.

Name the actress, the movie, and the family member that embarrassed her.

Janet Gaynor, the film was 7th Heaven, her sister was drunk and embarrassed Gaynor at the Oscar ceremony. Obviously the scene with her and the character of Norman Maine was A Star Is Born

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct lavender. Also, that was her Oscar she was holding in the movie.

Lavenderblue, the thread now belongs to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actress is associated with teenagers and youth movies in the 1960s, but she had a career far beyond those years.

She started as a professional figure skater but later switched over to acting.

She was fortunate to appear in "A" movies throughout the 60s and later in that decade to co-star in a hit TV sitcom.

When your identify this actress, also name at least one of her popular movies and her hit TV show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This actress is associated with teenagers and youth movies in the 1960s, but she had a career far beyond those years.

She started as a professional figure skater but later switched over to acting.

She was fortunate to appear in "A" movies throughout the 60s and later in that decade to co-star in a hit TV sitcom.

When your identify this actress, also name at least one of her popular movies and her hit TV show.

Deborah Walley, the film Gidget Goes Hawaiian and The Mothers-In-Law was the tv show ???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Deborah Walley, the film Gidget Goes Hawaiian and The Mothers-In-Law was the tv show ???

And a beautiful Gidget she was too. I also saw her in "Bon Voyage" with Fred MacMurray and Jane Wyman first run in the theater.

Lav, I knew you would remember Deborah Walley too. It's all yours--

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Princess :)

While maiking a movie, a horse fell on this actress. She continued working on the film during the day but spent the nights in the hospital for 2 weeks. Actress, film??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us