Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,760 posts in this topic

A good guess, but no.  These brothers worked together at Republic Studios for many years writing action movies that starred the likes of Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and John Wayne.  The western TV series that they worked on featured a host called The Old Ranger,  A fifties movie that they wrote and directed was shown on TCM just a few days ago.  It featured two daughters of one of the brothers.  

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

A good guess, but no.  These brothers worked together at Republic Studios for many years writing action movies that starred the likes of Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and John Wayne.  The western TV series that they worked on featured a host called The Old Ranger,  A fifties movie that they wrote and directed was shown on TCM just a few days ago.  It featured two daughters of one of the brothers.  

Dorrell and Stuart McGowan. ? Snowfire was on the other day, only got to see the first 20 minutes or so. Just waiting for the turkey to be done LOL Happy Thanksgiving Miles

You are correct, Lavender.  Dorrell and Stuart McGowan collaborated on many movies and TV shows.  They co-wrote and co-directed "Snowfire", which was telecast on TCM on Tuesday of this week.  The movie featured Dorrell's  two daughters, Molly and Melodie, who played characters using their real names.  Veteran actor Don Megowan, who played their father, was not related.  The brothers also produced and wrote many episodes of "Death Valley Days".  They even directed some of them.  

Happy Thanskgiving, Lavender, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Image result for happy thanksgiving

Lavender gets the thread.

Thanks Miles, hope you and Everyone else had a safe and delicious Thanksgiving.

next

Spencer Tracy said that another actor in a film they were in together made his (Spencer Tracy's) performance of a character in a film real and believeable and without that other actor's performance, his (Spencer Tracy's) performance of his character would not have worked. Who was the other actor and the film they were both in together ??

Was it Freddie Bartholomew in Captains Courageous?  I remember reading that Spencer Tracy was very impressed with how committed Freddie was in the playing of his role.

2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Was it Freddie Bartholomew in Captains Courageous?  I remember reading that Spencer Tracy was very impressed with how committed Freddie was in the playing of his role.

Not only impressed, but credits Freddie Bartholomew for making his role as Manuel believeable. He felt Freddie was truly a great actor and had great admiration for him and his talent

• Like 1

With so many people on the set of this movie, the director took to dressing in an eccentric manner just so he would stand out.  This led to his being dubbed as the worst dressed man in Hollywood.

Name the director and the film.

Before becoming a director, he was a writer and, in fact, won an Oscar for an original screenplay, as well as a couple of other Oscar nominations for original screenplays.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, starliteyes said:

With so many people on the set of this movie, the director took to dressing in an eccentric manner just so he would stand out.  This led to his being dubbed as the worst dressed man in Hollywood.

Name the director and the film.

OH- It's Preston Sturges, The Lady Eve for Stanwyck

Thanks Star, 

This famous leading actor and a famous supporting actress, while married to other people, had an affair that lasted many years. Both were thought of as A listers. She was nominated for an Oscar, he was awarded Oscars. Who were these 2 beloved performers ??

The answer has got to be Danny Kaye and Eve Arden because they certainly fit all the criteria.  I knew that they had had an affair and that it lasted several years, but I was not under the impression that it went on for years and years while they were both still married.  I thought that she left her husband for him, but he didn't leave his wife for her.

9 hours ago, starliteyes said:

The answer has got to be Danny Kaye and Eve Arden because they certainly fit all the criteria.  I knew that they had had an affair and that it lasted several years, but I was not under the impression that it went on for years and years while they were both still married.  I thought that she left her husband for him, but he didn't leave his wife for her.

"Most notably, within two years of marrying Sylvia, Danny began a torrid, six-year affair with Eve Arden. Eve eventually left her husband for Danny. Shortly thereafter, Danny left Sylvia for Eve, but returned home six months later."

They both left their spouses for 6 months, but Danny went back to Sylvia and Eve divorced. . From every account that I've read, their affair lasted 6 years.

Glad the question was finally answered. Good work Star, your thread.

• Thanks 1

When this star’s screen career seemed to have come to an end, she considered an offer from a producer who was interested in having her replace another film star in a hit Broadway show.  That star had been having emotional problems and, in fact, was not able to complete the performance the night that the first star went to see it.  Her understudy, who had also been in films, went on to finish it.  When the first star got back to her hotel room, she immediately got a phone call from the “emotional” star, imploring her not to take the show away from her.  She didn’t, but not because of that phone call. 

Who were the two stars and what was the show?  Bonus points if you can name the understudy.      

18 hours ago, starliteyes said:

When this star’s screen career seemed to have come to an end, she considered an offer from a producer who was interested in having her replace another film star in a hit Broadway show.  That star had been having emotional problems and, in fact, was not able to complete the performance the night that the first star went to see it.  Her understudy, who had also been in films, went on to finish it.  When the first star got back to her hotel room, she immediately got a phone call from the “emotional” star, imploring her not to take the show away from her.  She didn’t, but not because of that phone call. 

Who were the two stars and what was the show?  Bonus points if you can name the understudy.      

I don't know the answer to this but it sounds like Bette Davis in "Night of the Iguana" with Shelley Winters?

Interesting answer, Princess, but not the right one.  

The play was a revival of  fantasy that had been revived a number of times.  Also, in doing a little research, I must make a correction in my original statement.  The understudy had not yet been in films and, although she would go on to do some film work, her name probably wouldn't be all that familiar to the average filmgoer.