Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,760 posts in this topic

A few years after this revival, the play became a Broadway musical and was the first Broadway musical to be adapted for a television production with the entire cast and crew intact.  The star of the musical bore a striking resemblance to the "emotional" star of the straight version.  They were also very good friends.

I think it was "Peter Pan".  The play had first been presented in the early 1900's and had been revived several times.  Traditionally, the part of Peter Pan was played by a woman.  In 1950, the emotional star, Jean Arthur, starred in the show with Boris Karloff playing Captain Hook.

Image result for jean arthur peter pan 

Jean Arthur

The show was revived again in 1954 with added songs and the role of Peter Pan was played by Mary Martin.  It was Mary Martin and her cast that were featured in the live TV production first telecast in 1955.

Related image 

Mary Martin

Jean Arthur's understudy, I believe, was an actress named Barbara Baxley.  She did some television work and a few movies.  She may be best known for playing Sally Field's mother in the movie "Norma Rae".

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-14h07m39s107+(2).jpg 

Barbara Baxley

Image result for barbara baxley norma rae 

This was a good tough question, Starliteyes.  I hope my research has payed off.  

• Like 1

You got everything right, Miles, but you left one thing out.  Who was the actress who had been approached by the producer about replacing Jean Arthur?

Hint(s):  She's someone that you and I really like and whose movies we know well.  Much younger than Jean Arthur, she really wasn't the right body type for the part and I think she knew it, too.

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

This was a good tough question, Starliteyes.  I hope my research has payed off.

When the movie version of "Hello Dolly" was about to be made, the producers asked the show's composer, Jerry Herman, to give them a new song, one that had not been in the original show.  They wanted to have a candidate for the Oscar for Best Original Song.  However. the song that he gave them was not eligible for the Oscar.  Can you tell us the name of that song, as well as the reason that it was not Oscar eligible?

17 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

When the movie version of "Hello Dolly" was about to be made, the producers asked the show's composer, Jerry Herman, to give them a new song, one that had not been in the original show.  They wanted to have a candidate for the Oscar for Best Original Song.  However. the song that he gave them was not eligible for the Oscar.  Can you tell us the name of that song, as well as the reason that it was not Oscar eligible?

The song was Love Is Only Love. It was written for the musical Mame but was cut. It was performed publicly during Mame try-outs, so it wasn't eligible for an Oscar ?

You are correct, Lavender.  Apparently, the producers of "Hello Dolly" were upset that Jerry Herman didn't write a brand new song for the movie.  Here it is:

Nice job, Lav.  You're up next.

Thanks Miles

In his autobiography, this famous actor talking about his awful childhood, wrote that his step mother physically and mentally abused him and made him wear girls clothing when she was angered. Actor?

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles

In his autobiography, this famous actor talking about his awful childhood, wrote that his step mother physically and mentally abused him and made him wear girls clothing when she was angered. Actor?

I'm a WB Girl too!

And this guy made Sunday evening special - - James Garner who starred in Maverick.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm a WB Girl too!

And this guy made Sunday evening special - - James Garner who starred in Maverick.

Well, that's was quick! Yes James Garner writes about his mentally deranged step-mother in his excellent autobiograpghy. Princess, did you also read his book ? I loved it and couldn't put it down. I also loved James Garner, he's a favorite of mine. so handsome, funny, intelligent  and seemed so nice. Married to the same lovely Jewish woman for almost 60 years. He was always a pleasure to watch. Good work Princess, it's your thread.

• Thanks 1

Merci.

It was one of those deals where I went to the public library one Saturday and read the whole thing in one sitting when it was a new book. The only other time I did that was with Debbie Reynolds.

No two ways about it,

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Well, that's was quick! Yes James Garner writes about his mentally deranged step-mother in his excellent autobiograpghy. Princess, did you also read his book ? I loved it and couldn't put it down. I also loved James Garner, he's a favorite of mine. so handsome, funny, intelligent  and seemed so nice. Married to the same lovely Jewish woman for almost 60 years. He was always a pleasure to watch. Good work Princess, it's your thread.

Bret Maverick was very special.

I shall return.

This young actress was popular in the 1930s, but she never quite acquired star status.

She appeared in two top films of the decade; one for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actress.

But in the 40's she retired to get married.

She married into one of the most famous families in professional sports of that era.

When you identify this actress, please also name her most famous performance for which she was nominated for an Oscar. And don't forget to link her with the professional sports world.

Is it Andrea Leeds?  She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Stage Door.  In 1939 she married Robert Stewart Howard, who was heir to his father Charles S. Howard's racing stables.  Later in life she would own and breed horses.

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

Is it Andrea Leeds?  She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Stage Door.  In 1939 she married Robert Stewart Howard, who was heir to his father Charles S. Howard's racing stables.  Later in life she would own and breed horses.

Excellent work, Star!

The actress of " Stage Door " Fame, Andrea Leeds, is one and the same who married into the horse racing family of Seabiscuit.

Star, it's all yours--

• Thanks 1

This character actor usually didn't have large parts, but he made the most of whatever screen time he did have - both on the large screen and the small screen.  Easily recognizable, he was in hundreds of movies and TV sitcoms.  He was in so many movies, in fact, that sometimes when he went out to a movie himself, he would find himself looking at himself on the screen, having completely forgotten that he had been in the film!

Can you name this prolific actor?

You got it, Miles! 

Charles Lane lived to be 102.  Two years before his death, he was honored at the TVLand Awards for his long career and 100th birthday.  Upon accepting the award, he said, "In case anyone's interested, I'm still available!"

Back to you, Miles.

Two actors, who both would become major TV western stars, appeared together in a western movie fairly early in their respective careers.  The two leading ladies in the movie were two well known musical stars, one from Broadway and one from movies.  Can you name the movie as well as the men and women that I referred to?  It was a 1950's movie. 

It sounds as though it could be The First Traveling Saleslady, which starred Ginger Rogers (movie musical star) and Carol Channing (Broadway musical star).  Further down in the cast list were future TV western stars James Arness (Gunsmoke) and Clint Eastwood (Rawhide).

Yes, that's the one.  I thought someone might get it, but I also thought it would take a bit longer.  I must be losing my touch.

Really nice work, Starlit.  The thread is now yours.

18 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Yes, that's the one.  I thought someone might get it, but I also thought it would take a bit longer.  I must be losing my touch.

Really nice work, Starlit.  The thread is now yours.

If it's any consolation, Miles, it took me a while to come up with the answer.  Now let's see who can get this one:

These two character actors appeared together in a movie based on a classic children’s novel from the 1800’s.   A few years prior to their appearance together, one of them had played a role in another film also based on a classic novel from the 1800’s.  The other actor would play the same role in a remake of the film more than a decade later.

Name the two actors, the film they were both in, as well as the films in which they played the same role.  

I believe they would be Henry Stephenson and C. Aubrey Smith.  They were both in "Little Lord Fauntleroy" in 1936.  In 1933, Stephenson played Mr. Laurence in "Little Women".  Smith played Mr. Laurence in the 1949 version.  It was his last movie. 

Henry Stephenson Picture  C. Aubrey Smith Picture 

Henry Stephenson                       C. Aubrey Smith