Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,703 posts in this topic

Lawrence, you have probably seen every horror movie ever made.  Of course, you are correct.  I didn't know about Malcolm McDowell playing the part.  I only knew about Donald Pleasence and John Gavin. 

You're up next, Lawrence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This film was based on a play, the rights to which were purchased in 1953, although the film wouldn't be filmed and released for 5 more years. It was intended as a star vehicle for Jennifer Jones, but when that fell through, Rex Harrison and Lilli Palmer were tapped to star. That, too, failed to happen, and Cary Grant and Grace Kelly were eyed for the leads. That plan ended when Kelly got married. The female lead went to a rising Columbia star, and the male lead went to a major star with a long career whose last romantic lead this film ended up being.

Name the film and the two eventual leads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This film was based on a play, the rights to which were purchased in 1953, although the film wouldn't be filmed and released for 5 more years. It was intended as a star vehicle for Jennifer Jones, but when that fell through, Rex Harrison and Lilli Palmer were tapped to star. That, too, failed to happen, and Cary Grant and Grace Kelly were eyed for the leads. That plan ended when Kelly got married. The female lead went to a rising Columbia star, and the male lead went to a major star with a long career whose last romantic lead this film ended up being.

Name the film and the two eventual leads.

Vertigo, James Stewart and Kim Novak 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Vertigo, James Stewart and Kim Novak 

Two out of three correct, lav.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Two out of three correct, lav.

How about Bell, Book and Candle? Since you're not telling me which 2 are correct and it sounds like James and Kim to me I'm sticking with them LOL and I'm too tired to look anything up, just scraped and cleaned the ice off my car for the last hour and half!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

How about Bell, Book and Candle?

Yes! That was based on the 1953 play by John Van Druten, which was purchased by David O. Selznick as a vehicle for Jennifer Jones. 

Your thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Lawrence

This famous actor paid for everything by checks, never cash. Who was he and why ??

Lav, A hint please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read about this yesterday!  It was Gary Cooper.  He did it because he knew that most people would keep it for his signature and never bother to cash it.  Pablo Picasso did the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I just read about this yesterday!  It was Gary Cooper.  He did it because he knew that most people would keep it for his signature and never bother to cash it.  Pablo Picasso did the same thing.

That's a coincidence! - Yes, Gary Cooper. He hated signing autographs and said he wanted to be paid for it, so he paid everything by check, groceries, gasoline, cigarettes and meals in restaurants knowing that vendors wouldn't cash his check and keep the checks for souvenirs! What a cheapskate LOL. That's funny that you read about this the day after I posted the question. Good work, Star, your thread :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you about his being a cheapskate, lav.  And continuing along that line - this might be an easy one, but what the heck!

This star charged fans for his autograph!  

Name please.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 7:30 PM, starliteyes said:

I agree with you about his being a cheapskate, lav.  And continuing along that line - this might be an easy one, but what the heck!

This star charged fans for his autograph!  

Name please.

 

This is really disappointing because he had such a sophisticated and Cosmopolitan image:

The greatest movie star of The Golden Era: Cary Grant charged one dime, I believe it was, for every autograph.

 In all fairness, Maybe This was done to discourage people because he was just tired of signing his name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is really disappointing because he had such a sophisticated and Cosmopolitan image:

The greatest movie star of The Golden Era: Cary Grant charged one dime, I believe it was, for every autograph.

 In all fairness, Maybe This was done to discourage people because he was just tired of signing his name.

I don't know about that, Princess.  I think he had a reputation for being tight where money was concerned.  Somehow I don't think a dime (I thought it was a quarter) would have discouraged someone who really wanted his autograph. 

Clark Gable and Fred MacMurray were also known to be - shall we say "thrifty" - with their money.

At any rate, you answered the question correctly and the thread is yours.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This popular movie actor is famous for his multiple Oscars and Infamous for his racism.

Walter Brennan? (BTW, I never knew about his racial beliefs until I started coming to this message board. Not that I'd done much Walter Brennan research before then, but I had never heard about it until seeing it here.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Walter Brennan? (BTW, I never knew about his racial beliefs until I started coming to this message board. Not that I'd done much Walter Brennan research before then, but I had never heard about it until seeing it here.)

Yes, I didn't know about them either before.  I've always been a real big fan of  "The Real McCoys".

Larry, it's all yours, just don't make it too hard. LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NEXT: This major late-40's Paramount release, made by one of the best known directors of the classic film era, became the biggest box-office hit of its year. Scenes from the making of this movie were also featured in another film by the same studio that same year, including cameos by that first film's big-name star and director.

Name both movies, as well as the star and director who cameoed in the second film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

NEXT: This major late-40's Paramount release, made by one of the best known directors of the classic film era, became the biggest box-office hit of its year. Scenes from the making of this movie were also featured in another film by the same studio that same year, including cameos by that first film's big-name star and director.

Name both movies, as well as the star and director who cameoed in the second film.

I'll take a stab at this one although I'm not sure but when I think of a cameo appearance, Cecil B. DeMille's cameo appearance in Sunset Boulevard comes to mind immediately.

Cecil B DeMille was making Samson and Delilah at Paramount at the same time Sunset Blvd. was being filmed. DeMille had a cameo role in Sunset Blvd. and wanted Hedy Lamarr to have a cameo in Sunset Blvd since he thought that would be good publicity for Samson and Delilah. Hedy wanted too much money for her appearance so the idea was nixed by Wilder who directed Sunset Blvd. So, I'll go with Samson and Delilah as the biggest Paramount box office hit and Sunset Blvd as the 2nd Paramount film with Demille as the cameo director but don't know what star from Samson and Delilah would be the other cameo ???????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'll take a stab at this one although I'm not sure but when I think of a cameo appearance, Cecil B. DeMille's cameo appearance in Sunset Boulevard comes to mind immediately.

Cecil B DeMille was making Samson and Delilah at Paramount at the same time Sunset Blvd. was being filmed. DeMille had a cameo role in Sunset Blvd. and wanted Hedy Lamarr to have a cameo in Sunset Blvd since he thought that would be good publicity for Samson and Delilah. Hedy wanted too much money for her appearance so the idea was nixed by Wilder who directed Sunset Blvd. So, I'll go with Samson and Delilah as the biggest Paramount box office hit and Sunset Blvd as the 2nd Paramount film with Demille as the cameo director but don't know what star from Samson and Delilah would be the other cameo ???????????

The director is who I'm looking for, but the movies are wrong. Think a little earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

NEXT: This major late-40's Paramount release, made by one of the best known directors of the classic film era, became the biggest box-office hit of its year. Scenes from the making of this movie were also featured in another film by the same studio that same year, including cameos by that first film's big-name star and director.

Name both movies, as well as the star and director who cameoed in the second film.

Sticking with DeMille, the first film would be Unconquered starring Gary Cooper. DeMille and Cooper made cameo appearances in Variety Girl ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lavenderblue19 said:

Sticking with DeMille, the first film would be Unconquered starring Gary Cooper. DeMille and Cooper made cameo appearances in Variety Girl ????

Those are the right movies! In Variety Girl, Cooper appears briefly in his costume from Unconquered, and later, Mary Hatcher accidentally interferes with De Mille shooting a scene from Unconquered.

Your thread, lav!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Lawrence

Director of a famous film wanted these 2 actors to play gangsters in one of his films. One did, the other refused to be in a film with the other actor. The 2 had been in a film together years before and got into a fist fight. on the set. The actor swore he would never work with the other actor again. 2 actors, the 2 films and the director of the 2nd film ?????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lav, if you don't mind I'm going to guess on this one because I don't know the answer, but I just have a pretty good hunch.

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Lawrence

Director of a famous film wanted these 2 actors to play gangsters in one of his films. One did, the other refused to be in a film with the other actor. The 2 had been in a film together years before and got into a fist fight. on the set. The actor swore he would never work with the other actor again. 2 actors, the 2 films and the director of the 2nd film ?????

 

 George Raft and Edward G Robinson had quite a set-to with fisticuffs on the set of "Manpower" directed by Raoul Walsh.

Probably nearly the last time Robinson played a gangster was in "Key Largo" directed by John Huston.

 So sorry, that's the best I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The later movie was "Some Like It Hot".  Director Billy wilder even gave a part to Edward G. Robinson Jr. in an attempt to entice his father into appearing in the picture, but Eddie Sr. refused.   Eddie Jr. played the hit man who shoots George Raft and his cronies, so maybe Eddie Sr. got some satisfaction out of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us