Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,760 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Lav, if you don't mind I'm going to guess on this one because I don't know the answer, but I just have a pretty good hunch.

George Raft and Edward G Robinson had quite a set-to with fisticuffs on the set of "Manpower" directed by Raoul Walsh.

Probably nearly the last time Robinson played a gangster was in "Key Largo" directed by John Huston.

So sorry, that's the best I can do.

Yes to EGR and Raft, no to the film and director. It's a later film than Manpower

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

The later movie was "Some Like It Hot".  Director Billy wilder even gave a part to Edward G. Robinson Jr. in an attempt to entice his father into appearing in the picture, but Eddie Sr. refused.   Eddie Jr. played the hit man who shoots George Raft and his cronies, so maybe Eddie Sr. got some satisfaction out of that.

Yes, Some Like It Hot and Billy Wilder are correct.

Princess and Miles, combined, both of you answered the question. You guys can decide who gets to post the next question.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:51 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Lav, if you don't mind I'm going to guess on this one because I don't know the answer, but I just have a pretty good hunch.

George Raft and Edward G Robinson had quite a set-to with fisticuffs on the set of "Manpower" directed by Raoul Walsh.

Probably nearly the last time Robinson played a gangster was in "Key Largo" directed by John Huston.

So sorry, that's the best I can do.

Princess, it's your thread. Miles finished the question correctly but you got the first half right

In the movie "Since You Went Away", Claudette Colbert's husband does not physically appear. But she does look at his photograph.

The man in the photograph is a well-known actor. Please identify him.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, Princess of Tap said:

In the movie "Since You Went Away", Claudette Colbert's husband does not physically appear. But she does look at his photograph.

The man in the photograph is a well-known actor. Please identify him.

Hint: The actor in the photograph is not just from the old movies, he is well known to Classic TV series viewers as well.

7 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I believe it's Neil Hamilton.

I believe you're right!

You were very observant in that movie. And there were so many people in the movie and so much going on it was hard to remember details. I thought it was so funny to see him popping up there and I didn't think he suited Claudette Colbert at all .

Good work, Star, it's all yours.

• Thanks 1

Here's another bit of photograph trivia:

In this movie, there is a scene in which a woman looks at a photograph of another woman with derision, but the audience doesn’t see the photo.  In actuality, she was looking at the picture of a director who had given her a hard time on a previous picture.

Name the actress, the movie, the director in the photo and the earlier movie.

9 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Here's another bit of photograph trivia:

In this movie, there is a scene in which a woman looks at a photograph of another woman with derision, but the audience doesn’t see the photo.  In actuality, she was looking at the picture of a director who had given her a hard time on a previous picture.

Name the actress, the movie, the director in the photo and the earlier movie.

Joe Mankiewicz directed Linda Darnell in A Letter To Three Wives. To get the reaction he wanted from Linda in  Letter To Three Wives, a photo of Otto Preminger who had given her a tough time in the film Forever Amber was used. The photo was on Paul Douglas' piano. We're suppose to think that the photo is of Addie Ross ( voiced by Celeste Holm)

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Joe Mankiewicz directed Linda Darnell in A Letter To Three Wives. To get the reaction he wanted from Linda in  Letter To Three Wives, a photo of Otto Preminger who had given her a tough time in the film Forever Amber was used. The photo was on Paul Douglas' piano. We're suppose to think that the photo is of Addie Ross ( voiced by Celeste Holm)

100% correct!  You can go to the head of the class, lav - or you can take the thread.

13 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Star :)

Six of the same outfit for an actress was made for her to wear in a film. Film, actress??

There were quite a few I don't know if there were six-- but Audrey Hepburn's black dress in " Breakfast at Tiffany's"  had quite a few copies.

Givenchy did the original design but Edith Head wanted everybody to know that she was responsible for all those copies.

*And oh how the Oscar award-winning Edith despised Monsieur Givenchy.  LOL

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

There were quite a few I don't know if there were six-- but Audrey Hepburn's black dress in " Breakfast at Tiffany's " had quite a few copies.

Givenchy did the original design but Edith Head wanted everybody to know that she was responsible for all those copies.

*And oh how the Oscar award-winning Edith despised Monsieur Givency. LOL

Good guess but 6 were made for the actress in this thriller

Was it the outfit worn by Tippi Hedren in "The Birds"?  It seems to me that she wore that same outfit from the time she left for Bodega Bay until the end of the picture.

10 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Was it the outfit worn by Tippi Hedren in "The Birds"?  It seems to me that she wore that same outfit from the time she left for Bodega Bay until the end of the picture.

Yes, 6 of the green suits were made for Tippi for her role in The Birds. It was the only outfit she wore during her "adventure" in Bodega Bay LOL. Here is the photo of a Barbie Doll of Tippi in that green suit that sells anywhere from $163 to $265. Love it. Good work Miles, your thread :)

Barbie Collector 2008 Black Label - Pop Culture Collection - Alfred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS Barbie Doll

• Like 1

A legendary actress once presented the Best Picture Oscar at an Academy Awards ceremony.  It was her first time on television.  Who was she and what was the movie that won?

On 2/9/2019 at 2:58 AM, MilesArcher said:

A legendary actress once presented the Best Picture Oscar at an Academy Awards ceremony.  It was her first time on television.  Who was she and what was the movie that won?

I believe it was also the first Oscar telecast.

Yes, "The Girl With The Curls", Mary Pickford, who was also known as "America's Sweetheart", was actually originally from Canada.  She was one of the founders of the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences.  She had retired from pictures in 1933 and she was talked into appearing on the Oscar telecast because it was the twenty-fifth anniversary of the awards.  Here she is:

Nice work, Starlit.  You get to go next. 

• Thanks 1

I think this might be an easy one.

Two actress/singers appeared on a television show together.  At one time, they were both married to the same man - not at the same time, of course.  Who were they?  Bonus points for the man.

Could it be Martha Raye and Judy Garland?  Martha was a guest on Judy's show in this 1964 clip:

They had both been married to band leader David Rose.  In fact, at the time this show was being made, David Rose was working down the hall at CBS in Hollywood as the musical director of "The Red Skelton Show".

• Like 1