Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,742 posts in this topic

That's exactly right, Miles.  David Rose was Martha Raye's second husband.  After divorcing her in May, 1941, he married Judy Garland a few months later in July.  He was her first husband.  Martha Raye was married 7 times, Judy Garland 5, and David Rose 3.

You're up next, Miles.

A youngster played the male lead's role as a boy at the beginning of a movie.  Later in the film, years have gone by and that role is now played by the male star of the movie.  His character is married to the female star and they have several children, one of whom is a cute little blonde girl.

A year or so later, that same little girl was in another movie, playing the child of the movie's stars.  In a winter scene, some kids are playing in the snow and she throws a snowball at a boy.  That boy was played by the same young actor who played her father as a boy in the previous movie.  

Can you name both movies, as well as the boy and young girl?

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

A youngster played the male lead's role as a boy at the beginning of a movie.  Later in the film, years have gone by and that role is now played by the male star of the movie.  His character is married to the female star and they have several children, one of whom is a cute little blonde girl.

A year or so later, that same little girl was in another movie, playing the child of the movie's stars.  In a winter scene, some kids are playing in the snow and she throws a snowball at a boy.  That boy was played by the same young actor who played her father as a boy in the previous movie.  

Can you name both movies, as well as the boy and young girl?

Robert J Anderson played young George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life. Karolyn Grimes plays grown up George's daughter Zuzu in It's A Wonderful Life. Karolyn Grimes plays Debbie the young daughter in The Bishop's Wife and she throws a snowball at Robert J Anderson ???????

You are correct, Lavender.  When "The Bishop's Wife" was shown on TCM shortly before last Christmas, the guest programmer commented that when Karolyn Grimes threw that snowball at Bobby Anderson, she was, in a sense, throwing it at her own father.

Lavender, it's now your turn.

• Haha 1

Thanks Miles :)

A song from a film won the Oscar for best song. The singer of the song had a son who grew up to be a famous actor. What was the name of the song, the film it was in, the singer and the actor who was the singer's son ?????

The first thing that comes to mind is the theme from "High Noon".  I always knew it as "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling", but I find that the official name is "The Ballad Of High Noon".  It was sung over the opening credits by western star and singer Tex Ritter, who was the father of actor John Ritter.  John was best known or his TV work in "Three's Company" and a couple of other series.

4 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

The first thing that comes to mind is the theme from "High Noon".  I always knew it as "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling", but I find that the official name is "The Ballad Of High Noon".  It was sung over the opening credits by western star and singer Tex Ritter, who was the father of actor John Ritter.  John was best known or his TV work in "Three's Company" and a couple of other series.

That was quick! Those are the answers I was looking for Miles. High Noon, Tex Ritter, John Ritter and The Ballad of High Noon (I also always think the title is Please Don't Forsake Me) Good thinking Miles, your thread :) 

Recently, TCM showed "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".  Two of the cast members had previously appeared together in three movies.  Can you name the two people, as well as the three movies?

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Recently, TCM showed "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".  Two of the cast members had previously appeared together in three movies.  Can you name the two people, as well as the three movies?

Just rewatched the film a couple of days ago. Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney appeared in Captains Courageous, Boys Town and Men of Boys Town together. I think It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is hilarious.

I agree, it is hilarious.  I would have made one change, however.  Near the end when they are looking into the hole where the money was buried, I would have had Mickey Rooney next to Spencer Tracy.   Mickey then would have said "You know, you remind me of a priest I used to know". 

Actually, with all of those comedians in the movie, I'm a little surprised that they got Spencer Tracy to play the cop.  It's true that he was a fine actor and could do comedy, but he was known as a dramatic actor.  Maybe Bob Hope wasn't available.

You were right again, Lavender.  It's your turn now.

13 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Just wanted to mention that there was one other movie that Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney were in besides the 3 previously mentioned by lavender, and that was Riffraff, which also starred Jean Harlow.  Mickey played her younger brother.

A very famous golden age male comedian, gave an Oscar winning golden age actress a nickname. The nickname was a cartoon character's name. Comedian, the actress and the nickname ???

48 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Jack Benny nicknamed Jane Wyman "Minnie Mouse."

Yes, he said that he thought that if Minnie Mouse were human she would resemble Jane! I guess he thought Jane was cute, at least I hope so LOL (Jack was too sweet to insult anyone so he must have meant it as a compliment) Good work Star, your thread :)

• Thanks 1

This actor and actress made 6 movies together.  The actor said that other than his wife, the only woman he loved was this actress.

Name the actor and actress.

You got it, Miles!  James Cagney and Joan Blondell made 6 films together, the first being an adaptation of the Broadway play they were in that initially brought them to Hollywood.  The play was Penny Arcade, but it became Sinners' Holiday for the screen version.

Your thread.

Actually, they were in seven movies together.

image.jpeg.86a245bd056f9362dc4b0620c1e0b049.jpeg image.jpeg.7ca33844e99f3bcfbb881a3614e470cc.jpeg image.jpeg.765ca1609dd55e32ce06cf873a4cd2a9.jpeg image.jpeg.e5743447e3157ac8d61b28e679d3f550.jpeg image.jpeg.d2604b796078695b3fb5ac7e59231233.jpeg 

image.jpeg.3a19bff55568da333493d57b1f5b0c38.jpeg image.jpeg.d8c7cb158659c84956a92079f6bee0cb.jpeg 

Now, before he was Barnaby Jones and Jed Clampett, Buddy Ebsen appeared in a made for TV serial playing the father of the serial's young star.  He played a sheriff whose name was the same as a famous photographer, even though the story had nothing to do with the photographer.  Can you name the serial and the youngster who played the star?  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 12:34 PM, MilesArcher said:

Actually, they were in seven movies together.

image.jpeg.86a245bd056f9362dc4b0620c1e0b049.jpeg image.jpeg.7ca33844e99f3bcfbb881a3614e470cc.jpeg image.jpeg.765ca1609dd55e32ce06cf873a4cd2a9.jpeg image.jpeg.e5743447e3157ac8d61b28e679d3f550.jpeg image.jpeg.d2604b796078695b3fb5ac7e59231233.jpeg 

image.jpeg.3a19bff55568da333493d57b1f5b0c38.jpeg image.jpeg.d8c7cb158659c84956a92079f6bee0cb.jpeg 

Now, before he was Barnaby Jones and Jed Clampett, Buddy Ebsen appeared in a made for TV serial playing the father of the serial's young star.  He played a sheriff whose name was the same as a famous photographer, even though the story had nothing to do with the photographer.  Can you name the serial and the youngster who played the star?  

Corky and The White Shadow was the tv show. Darlene Gillespie ( Mouseketeer Darlene) played Corky his daughter ??

You got it, Lav.  It was a serial on "The Mickey Mouse Club".  Buddy's character was named Matthew Brady.  It's your turn next.

Thanks Miles

The father of a very famous actor was the road manager to a a very famous entertainer for a time. The famous entertainer, the famous actor ??

Although both were in films and appeared on the stage, the famous entertainer was Known as a singer, the actor whose dad was the road manager was known as a dancer