Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,760 posts in this topic

to make it easier I'll repeat the question and clue that's on the preceding page

The father of a very famous actor was the road manager to a a very famous entertainer for a time. The famous entertainer, the famous actor ??

•  

Although both were in films and appeared on the stage, the famous entertainer was Known as a singer, the actor whose dad was the road manager was known as a dancer

giveaway clue- biopics have been done about the performer whose road manager was the father of another famous performer. Please read all the clues

Aw c'mon guys this is not a hard one, Elvis, Sammy Davis Jr., David Bowie were just some of the performers that said he was their inspiration

this is the last clue- I'll sum up the clues

The famous entertainer was known as a singer, he inspired other famous performers, he was and is legendary, biopics have made made about him

the son whose father was the road manager to the famous performer is a legendary dancer and actor.

new clue-the son was a BIG M-G-M star

The father of the actor,dancer was the famous entertainers road manager in the 1920's.

Name the famous singer, name the son of the famous entertainers road manager.

Ok. So I know the major entertainer is Al Jolson.  I'm guessing that it was Donald O'Connor's father who was his road manager.

4 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Ok. So I know the major entertainer is Al Jolson.  I'm guessing that it was Donald O'Connor's father who was his road manager.

Al Jolson is right but the son isn't Donald. He had more lead roles than the wonderful Donald O'Connor

20 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Al Jolson is right but the son isn't Donald. He had more lead roles than the wonderful Donald O'Connor

The only other male dancer I can think of at MGM is Gene Kelly.  Was it his father?

• Like 1

Just now, Arturo said:

The only other male dancer I can think of at MGM is Gene Kelly.  Was it his father?

Yes, Gene Kelly's father was Al Jolson's road manager in the 1920's. Finally, thanks Arturo, your thread.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, Arturo said:

Arturo, see above, it's your thread

Thanks Lavenderblue.

Next:  These two stars made one film together.  She is best known as a dancer in musicals.  He was also known for his dancing, but rarely did this in his films.  Name the two stars, and the film they made together.

13 hours ago, Arturo said:

Thanks Lavenderblue.

Next:  These two stars made one film together.  She is best known as a dancer in musicals.  He was also known for his dancing, but rarely did this in his films.  Name the two stars, and the film they made together.

"Sitting Pretty" with Ginger Rogers and Jack Haley

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

"Sitting Pretty" with Ginger Rogers and Jack Haley

Good try Princess but not quite.

Next clue: The male star had been in films on and off since the silent era.

In the film, the two meet up after over 20 years.  She welcomes the reunion, he is not thrilled about it.  You realize they were partners in their careers in their past.

42 minutes ago, Arturo said:

In the film, the two meet up after over 20 years.  She welcomes the reunion, he is not thrilled about it.  You realize they were partners in their careers in their past.

it's such a cute film, haven't seen it in a few years, Dreamboat, the 2 would be Clifton Webb and Ginger Rogers ???

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

it's such a cute film, haven't seen it in a few years, Dreamboat, the 2 would be Clifton Webb and Ginger Rogers ???

Lavender, 

I bow my (symbolic) hat to you.  You got it again!  Like the Jeanne Crain/Thelma Ritter film you guessed in the Describe the Scene Game, gonna look for my DVD of this and play it this weekend.

Your turn.

Thanks Arturo. I know a few years back I watched Dreamboat on FMC but I think it may have been shown on TCM in the last few years. 

next

In her autobiography, this famous actress wrote gossipy info about her well liked actor ex lover
She received some flak and sort of took back what she wrote. He died during surgery at a relatively young age. Actress, Actor ??

In her autobiography, Esther Williams wrote that Jeff Chandler liked to dress in women's clothes.  When she discovered him dressed in her clothes, the relationship ended.  A number of people seemed to be upset that she had disclosed this information, but I wasn't aware that she had taken it back.

Esther and Jeff are the the 2 Stars. Many years ago I read that she said she was sorry that she had written that about Jeff implying that she exaggerated.  Jeff Chandler was a really sweet guy and well thought of by many in Hollywood. No one backed up her story, not friends or fellow actors or former lovers of his. Jane Russell said Esther had confided in her that she and Jeff were having problems but never mentioned the cross dressing and Jane said she didn't believe what Esther wrote. Most felt she only wrote that to sell her book. He died when he was 42 due to malpractice on the part of the dr. who had operated on him. Whether what she wrote was true or not it was  cruel and unnecessary for her to write that after he had died.  As talented as Esther was, I've always lost respect for her and she showed who she really was, a royal b---h.

Your thread Star

• Thanks 2

Like you, lav, I also lost some respect for Esther Williams, but it wasn't so much over Jeff Chandler as the fact that she put Fernando Lamas ahead of her children. 

Anyway, on to the next bit of trivia: 

Before this actor and actress went to Hollywood and became stars who would make several pictures together, they met and became friends while they were both appearing in hit Broadway shows and were each understudying a performer who would also go on to stardom in Hollywood.

Name the actor and actress, their respective shows and who they were understudying.

The actor and actress were both appearing in musicals written by famous composers at the time that they met.