Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,760 posts in this topic

Mason's character in Prince Valiant was not the Prince, but some knight .. can't remember his title, and I was too lazy to look it up. Rommel goes by Field Marshall but sometimes General. In any event, it was a stab. I keep thinking it's Olivier ( Nazi in Marathon Man, General MacArthur in Inchon ), but I can't connect the knight part.

No, not Olivier.

One sneaky aspect of the question is that one of the roles is pretty small, almost a cameo. But it corresponds to the question and I believe is fair. The other two are leading roles. Here is another clue.

*He played a knight, an American General, and an ex-Nazi, a Police Captain, and a tycoon (twice). Who is he and what are the movies?*

Rich, bear with me, okay. I like the question and I want to give it a fair life. I leave for work in a couple of hours. If I can think of another clue before then I'll post it. Otherwise, I'll reveal the answer when I return from work, about midnight Pacific.

Thanks for your patience.

Let's try Orson Welles...

1. Sir John Falstaff in The Chimes At Midnight

2. The corrupt detective in Touch Of Evil

3. General (Dreedle is it?) in Catch - 22

4. Tycoons in Citizen Kane & Mr. Arkadin....?

cmvgor, that's correct.

Please pose our next puzzler ...

How about the ex-Nazi though? I would have thought this would be the easiest one. It falls comfortably within the era of most films that TCM airs and has as co-stars a couple of our most beloved names. Remember? Think these initials: LY EGR

But don't wait for that ... fire away !

Correct. I really appreciated your previous answers and you may have been technically correct on the Prince Valient etc.. I don't know since I haven't seen it. There's an art to asking good questions. They should not be far reaching because answers come from everywhere ... and in our cyber age, a question should not be easily researchable. Anyway, thanks ...

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> cmvgor, that's correct.

>

> Please pose our next puzzler ...

Up & going again, starting a list of clues:

1. Mid 20th Century caper filck, B&W

2. Three-man team.

Wow! I thought this one was good for a few more clues (--One partner an ex-cop; one partner an

ex-con; racial hatred a factor; "top o' the world, Ma" climax), but you nailed it on two clues.

Tag. You're it.

In the "Annie Hall" question, the answers are probably:

Duane's scary compulsion is to drive across the lane, right into the headlights of an oncoming car.

The original title of the film was to be "Anhedonia."

Assuming these answers are correct... can anyone tell me which Oscar winners are descended from European royalty?

Cheers,

Dan

It's been two (2) days... Does anyone have an answer to this?

First off: Are my two responses to the "Annie Hall" question correct?

Second: Which Oscar winners are descended from European royalty?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan,

Everybody's over on the trivia thread playing games. It's games now, not questions ... I guess.

As OP of this thread I'm taking the liberty to intervene. Although I didn't ask the questions I can say, as you already know, that you were right.

1. IMBD shows that Annie Hall still has an AKA of "Anhedonia," so you are right.

2. Again, from IMBD: *Duane*: Can I confess something? I tell you this as an artist,I think you'll understand. Sometimes when I'm driving... on the road at night... I see two headlights coming toward me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel quickly, head-on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion. The sound of shattering glass. The... flames rising out of the flowing gasoline.

*Alvy Singer*: Right. Well, I have to - I have to go now, Duane, because I, I'm due back on the planet Earth.

Dan, if you want, why don't you give a clue as to your question about royalty Oscar winners. Entirely up to you. I remember something about this but can't come up with it. Maybe a clue would help. I don't use the internet with questions unless I want to confirm something I think I already know, or an exact title, or of the like. Up to you, though.

Yeah, I wish there was more support.

Laffite

Message was edited by: laffite

Hi laffite and mr6666... My humble apologies to anyone who was confused by my question.

I had asked it this way: "Can anyone tell me which Oscar winners are descended from European royalty?"

Maybe I could re-phrase my question this way:

I know of an Oscar winner, born and raised in the U.S.A., who is descended from European royalty on BOTH sides of the family tree -- that's right, both Mom and Dad.

Who is this American Oscar winner, with royal blood from both parents?

Cheers,

Dan

Drat! It's been two days, and no one has offered a guess.

The question, in case you've forgotten, is this:

*I know of an Oscar winner, born and raised in the U.S.A., who is descended from European royalty on BOTH sides of the family tree -- that's right, both Mom and Dad.*

*Who is this American Oscar winner, with royal blood from both parents?*

New hint: This royal blood we are talking about is from Great Britain.

Got it now?

Cheers,

Dan

Is it James Stewart ?

No. I have no idea why you would pick James Stewart. There is nothing in his bio that would indicate a royal lineage.

Does anyone have any well-researched answers to this question? Here it is again:

*I know of an Oscar winner, born and raised in the U.S.A., who is descended from European royalty on BOTH sides of the family tree -- that's right, both Mom and Dad.*

Hint: The person we are asking about is also the correct answer to a Trivia question that pops up all the time, both on this thread and in general conversation.

Cheers,

Dan

Does anyone have any well-researched answers to this question? Here it is again:

Hint: The person we are asking about is also the correct answer to a Trivia question that pops up all the time, both on this thread and in general conversation.

Another hint: The person in question is _female_.

Cheers,

Dan

*Two movies, one with Elizabeth Taylor and one with Janet Leigh, appeared _the same year_ and each movie has a scene that is similar to a scene in the other. The similarity can be discerned without either actress uttering a word or even moving across the frame. What scenes from what movies?*

UM....Elizabeth Taylor in Beau Brummel and Janet Leigh in Scaramouche ? or perhaps it's

Elizabeth Taylor in Ivanhoe and Janet Leigh in Prince Valient? Where they both nurse the hero back to health ?

RV

Neither of those. I don't know when those movies you mentioned were released but let me remind you anyway that the two movies in question---one with Liz and one with Janet---were released *the same year*. And as the original questions says, the similarity has nothing to do with what each has to say or even what they have to do in their respective scenes, but it does---just to be clear---have very much to do with them. Each scene is of a significant duration, in other words, not something anyone would likely miss. I'll say too that each scene occurs near the beginning of its film. So, name the scene in each film and how they are very much alike. To encourage you and others to think about this, let me add that the similarity in question IS NOT a subtle one.

>Two movies, one with Elizabeth Taylor and one with Janet Leigh appeared the same year and each movie has a scene that is similar to a scene in the other. The similarity can be discerned without either actress uttering a word or even moving across the frame. What scenes from what movies?

HINTS

To point out specifically that what they say or what they do are not important was a suggestion that what they are wearing might be an issue. Straight men particularly might find these scenes especially enjoyable. Keep in mind the two films were released the same year. In one of the films, the scene appears at the very beginning of the film. In the other, very close to the beginning.

One more chance - in 1960 Elizabeth Taylor made a film called Butterfield 8 where she is in bed

with her bra and slip, that same year Janet Leigh made a film called Psycho, which showed her in bed wearing a bra and half-slip...is that it?